Trading Players for draft picks in a keeper league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Trading Players for draft picks in a keeper league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Trading Players for draft picks in a keeper league

Postby mkultra » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:47 pm

We also have a max contract of 3 years, which devalues all keepers somewhat in our case.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:50 am

dfa wrote:One league I am in only allows trading of the first 5 round picks, after that it goes to a snake draft. I don't think a 7th round pick is enough compensation personally.

I find that interesting. Not the 5 rounds part; my league has traditionally only let you trade picks in the first 10 rounds for logistical reasons. I'm surprised that once that ends you revert to a snaking draft order rather than last-to-first place in each round. Do you also snake non-traded picks in the first 5 rounds?
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 45)

Postby Reg » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:47 pm

I'm in a similar spot. 2 keeper league. there is a team with braun, longoria, and pujols. He wants to keep braun and longoria, and trade pujols for draft picks. I think that is the same thing as getting 3 keepers, so I don't think it should be allowed.
Reg
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Football

Postby teaaker » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:21 am

I think that is completely fine! If he was able to snag three top 10 players in a two-keeper league, he should get compensated-especially in a two-keeper league. IMO, I would never join a two-keeper league because the first 3-4 keepers are dead obivous. I want the last couple keepers to be riskier, and not obvious first round or two talent.

Also, I don't think that there should be such strong talent balance in a keeper league. Just because a team has become dominant doesn't mean they should have to throw Pujols back for nothing. Keeper Leagues are meant to reward long term strategy.
teaaker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dfa » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:42 am

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:I find that interesting. Not the 5 rounds part; my league has traditionally only let you trade picks in the first 10 rounds for logistical reasons. I'm surprised that once that ends you revert to a snaking draft order rather than last-to-first place in each round. Do you also snake non-traded picks in the first 5 rounds?

Yeah, it is interesting. I'm not the commissioner of that league, so I'm really not sure of the logic behind it. The league is a CBS league, so that might have something to do with it? The first 5 rounds are based on last year's finish, and then it's snake for the 15 rounds after that. Trading of a pick has no bearing on whether it is snake or not.
dfa
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Slapweasel » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:11 am

I've been a Commissioner for well over ten years. Our league has evolved into a "3-Must, 4-Max, 2x-Keep", 12-team League.

What gets lost in Keeper League trades is "value". In my league, this is a term that draws twelve different opinions from twelve different, well informed managers.

I agree with an earlier comment that stated that the trade has to be either collusion or UNBELIEVABLY unbalanced, so as to change the rules of the league. Something has to be SO egregious that you feel that there should be a rule change to eliminate the situation from ever happening again.

I would:

#1. Let the trade go. This is not a game-changer. It benefits both teams.
#2. Go to a straight draft in the inverse order of standings. Vote on "re-snaking" that thing in three years. This will allow more balance into your lopsided, top-heavy league.
#3. Pare down the number of Keepers to six, subtracting one Keeper per year over the next two years. The fewer the Keepers, the more balance between strategy, fun and knowledge.
#4. Eet Mor Chikin.
#5. The cow made me say that. He's gone, so feel free to disregard that last statement.
#6. "Fair" benefits both parties, does it not?
#7. VALUE = FAIR
#8. No one will ever understand "value", except the team that gets what they want from a Free Market System.

-Your Friendly Neighborhood Slapweasel
-The Self-Proclaimed Voice Of Truth And Reason-
-Your Friendly Neighborhood Slapweasel-
...I'm Your Huckleberry.
Slapweasel
College Coach
College Coach

Postby teaaker » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:55 am

Slapweasel wrote:I've been a Commissioner for well over ten years. Our league has evolved into a "3-Must, 4-Max, 2x-Keep", 12-team League.

What gets lost in Keeper League trades is "value". In my league, this is a term that draws twelve different opinions from twelve different, well informed managers.

I agree with an earlier comment that stated that the trade has to be either collusion or UNBELIEVABLY unbalanced, so as to change the rules of the league. Something has to be SO egregious that you feel that there should be a rule change to eliminate the situation from ever happening again.

I would:

#1. Let the trade go. This is not a game-changer. It benefits both teams.
#2. Go to a straight draft in the inverse order of standings. Vote on "re-snaking" that thing in three years. This will allow more balance into your lopsided, top-heavy league.
#3. Pare down the number of Keepers to six, subtracting one Keeper per year over the next two years. The fewer the Keepers, the more balance between strategy, fun and knowledge.
#4. Eet Mor Chikin.
#5. The cow made me say that. He's gone, so feel free to disregard that last statement.
#6. "Fair" benefits both parties, does it not?
#7. VALUE = FAIR
#8. No one will ever understand "value", except the team that gets what they want from a Free Market System.

-Your Friendly Neighborhood Slapweasel

What is meant by resnaking?
teaaker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hmfc1874 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:00 pm

The thing that's being missed here is that the guy getting Fielder then has to give up someone else that he can't keep - so that would be someone who is say around the 80th best player (maybe BJ Upton or someone of that standard), so he gains Fielder and loses someone like Upton and his draft pick.
hmfc1874
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner