Upcoming Draft Help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Upcoming Draft Help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Upcoming Draft Help

Postby abellone » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:57 pm

I'm in a ten team, head to head, mixed league. Our draft in next week. I am number 6 in the draft. I was hoping for some help/ideas/thoughts on what positions I should fill in the first four or five rounds. When is the best time to take a starter? Are there two or three players I should target at number 6 and 15?

I appreciate any help.

Thanks
abellone
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Upcoming Draft Help

Postby BlackBocks » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:09 pm

Personally I try to load up on offense in the early rounds as there is a lot of pitching to go around. Top offensive players are a dime a dozen and while ace pitchers are great they only play 1 out of 5 days just like everyone else.

At pick 6 I would look into Votto...I am not completely sold on CarGo. Obviously if any of the following fall to 6 you take them...Pujols, Hanley, MCab, Tulo, Longoria. Id say the person who is most likely to fall is Tulo...SS is a shallow position.

At 15...Arod, Texeria, R Howard, and Hamilton are good picks. I really like Hamilton and might grab him due to his combination of power/average.

This obviously hinges greatly on how the draft goes...if someone falls to you that you like...grab em!

BB
"Nick Punto and Chase Utley are the 'same kind of player'" - Bert Blyleven HOF 2011
BlackBocks
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Blaise28 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:33 pm

6 is one of the hardest draft spots. If Braun is there, that would be a good grab. At 15 you might find Cano or Utley since 2b is a position of scarcity.
Blaise28
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:36 pm

In a 10-teamer, a 6th pick is pretty good. You'll get a good chance at a second round bat capable of 1st round production. Usually, Pujols/Hanley/Miggy/Votto/Tulo are off the board. I wouldn't mind either one, but if neither fall, I'd go with either Longoria or Braun.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 672)

Postby Darth Danielus » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:41 pm

Some good advice above....personally, I'd probably stay away from a firstbaseman this high....pujols won't drop, and of the rest, I'd prefer an elite OF or middle infielder. I'd pray for tulo to fall, and then look at guys like braun, longoria, and with the next pick, someone like cano, utley, arod, or if a stud 1B is there, like agonz or something, maybe. No real reason to target a pitcher this high...

Is this a keeper league or no?

Help with mine?
viewtopic.php?t=422412
Darth Danielus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby abellone » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:20 pm

thanks. Not a keeper league. I've run a few mock drafts and it seems like pitchers are going in first and second rounds. I was going to wait til round five to pick my first pitcher. Is this a mistake?
abellone
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Leesville Sluggers » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:55 am

Ive always had a personal rule that i dont draft pitchers until round 5 or later. I like to load up offensively in the first 4-5 rounds. Its much easier for me to find waiver wire pitching throughout the season, than trying to replace stud hitters that you get in early rounds. For my taste, pitchers are too injury prone to risk an early round pick on. Again, just one of the little rules ive got for myself.
Leesville Sluggers
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions