Auction / Keeper Rules Question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Auction / Keeper Rules Question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Auction / Keeper Rules Question

Postby destijl211 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:29 am

Hi Guys
I have a good 10-team league established and we are converting to auction draft with 3 keepers. I'm trying to settle all of the rules and one questions came up:

-If a player is traded, he retains his auction value + inflation for next year. If that player is DROPPED then ADDED though, does he retain the auctioned value or does he drop to zero? We agreed that a FA pickup that eventually is kept will cost $5 inflation the next season. What if that player is Pujols who blows out his knee or something and will be back next year?

Anyone have any thoughts / current rules that could help me out?

Thanks
destijl211
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Auction / Keeper Rules Question

Postby bigmck » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:51 am

destijl211 wrote:Hi Guys
I have a good 10-team league established and we are converting to auction draft with 3 keepers. I'm trying to settle all of the rules and one questions came up:

-If a player is traded, he retains his auction value + inflation for next year. If that player is DROPPED then ADDED though, does he retain the auctioned value or does he drop to zero? We agreed that a FA pickup that eventually is kept will cost $5 inflation the next season. What if that player is Pujols who blows out his knee or something and will be back next year?

Anyone have any thoughts / current rules that could help me out?

Thanks

In our league we bid on every player picked up and that gives him a salary so we don't have that problem. It might be simpler for your league to have a rule that the player retains his salary if dropped and picked up. That would stop your "Pujols" example.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 61)

Postby destijl211 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:59 am

I like that idea, but its hosted on ESPN and I don't think there is any way to track that stuff except offline?
destijl211
T-Ball Trainer

Postby bigmck » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:25 pm

ESPN is a bad site to have an Auction / Keeper league. They don't have any way to keep track of salary or contracts. Have you looked at Fantrax. I haven't used them, but I they are free and can track salary and contracts from what I have heard. You might check it out.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 61)

Postby Matthias » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:03 am

We do it as all player salary/keeper prices are established at the day of the draft. Anyone not drafted has a salary of $1 and a keeper price of $8. Anyone drafted keeps their salary & keeper price whether they're kept, traded, or dropped and picked up off of waivers. It's easy. It works. We haven't had a problem with it in 5 years.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mkultra » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:31 pm

I don't like the FAAB bid = salary play, but you can certainly do that.

It's easiest to just let player salaries carry throughout the season, no matter what. I believe CBS and ESPN both work this way.

What I really wish you could do is true MLB-style waivers- a player retains his salary if he's picked up at the next available interval, but drops to $1 if he clears.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby Matthias » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:43 pm

mkultra wrote:What I really wish you could do is true MLB-style waivers- a player retains his salary if he's picked up at the next available interval, but drops to $1 if he clears.

The problem with this is what if some stud goes down with 6 or 7 weeks left in the season and it's known that they won't return? Their salary is market for them being healthy so they have no keeper value. They're not coming back so they have no in-season value. But once they clear waivers (since noone has any use for them) then they become a $1 guy for next year.

You can arrive at some really weird and really skewing incentives and situations.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dmendro » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:59 pm

In our auction keeper league, when they get dropped, the FAAB value becomes their new salayr. However, their keeper status stays with them, so their contract year doesn't get reset unless they are dropped at the end of the season.
---------------------------------------------------------
The Black 'N Blue Podcast
RSS Feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/BlacknBlue
Beating each other up one sport at a time.
dmendro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Return to Commissioner's Corner