Cook Children's Hospital = CROOKS! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Cook Children's Hospital = CROOKS!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Cook Children's Hospital = CROOKS!

Postby wrveres » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:54 pm

Madison wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:Perhaps if the government instituted price fixing. As far as I know, Japan has some measure of limiting public and private hospitals to charge only X amount for specific procedures and treatments. Again, it's a matter of scalability and that probably won't work here as well as universal healthcare. People in the States generally aren't gung ho about paying higher taxes or a fixed rate for extensive healthcare, like in most European countries.


I'd support the government fixing the rates and putting caps on what can be charged. ;-D
no you don't. you think you do, because of your recent experiences, but caps are never a good thing. In this case they'll end up in government subsidizing even more, and they'll hinder research.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 660)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Cook Children's Hospital = CROOKS!

Postby Madison » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:08 pm

wrveres wrote:no you don't. you think you do, because of your recent experiences, but caps are never a good thing. In this case they'll end up in government subsidizing even more, and they'll hinder research.


Research is great, but it shouldn't be paid for in this fashion. $13,500 for a checkup? $18,000 for a broken bone? It's beyond absurd. If the hospitals are going to continue to act like financial rapists, then I fully support the government slapping them back into reality using a rusty barb-wire covered baseball bat to get the point across. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Re: Cook Children's Hospital = CROOKS!

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:30 pm

Madison wrote:
wrveres wrote:no you don't. you think you do, because of your recent experiences, but caps are never a good thing. In this case they'll end up in government subsidizing even more, and they'll hinder research.


Research is great, but it shouldn't be paid for in this fashion. $13,500 for a checkup? $18,000 for a broken bone? It's beyond absurd. If the hospitals are going to continue to act like financial rapists, then I fully support the government slapping them back into reality using a rusty barb-wire covered baseball bat to get the point across. ;-D

I don't know a ton about this, so this is a real question. Where is this money going? Into whose pocket? I mean doctors are paid well (and they ought to be), but I don't think that's where these ridiculous prices are winding up; in their pockets. Obviously some of it goes to pay for the expensive machines they use, but it's not like nurses are raking in cash or anything like that -- they're paid pretty modestly in the area I live in -- they can have nice careers but their salaries certainly what are driving these prices. So who is pocketing this??
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24818
(Past Year: 322)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Re: Cook Children's Hospital = CROOKS!

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:00 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Madison wrote:
wrveres wrote:no you don't. you think you do, because of your recent experiences, but caps are never a good thing. In this case they'll end up in government subsidizing even more, and they'll hinder research.


Research is great, but it shouldn't be paid for in this fashion. $13,500 for a checkup? $18,000 for a broken bone? It's beyond absurd. If the hospitals are going to continue to act like financial rapists, then I fully support the government slapping them back into reality using a rusty barb-wire covered baseball bat to get the point across. ;-D

I don't know a ton about this, so this is a real question. Where is this money going? Into whose pocket? I mean doctors are paid well (and they ought to be), but I don't think that's where these ridiculous prices are winding up; in their pockets. Obviously some of it goes to pay for the expensive machines they use, but it's not like nurses are raking in cash or anything like that -- they're paid pretty modestly in the area I live in -- they can have nice careers but their salaries certainly what are driving these prices. So who is pocketing this??


I think technology (or the lack thereof to afford it) plays a role in the big costs. Say, you had to get an MRI in the States, it'll cost you a good chunk of change. If you went to a country like Japan, where more offices/hospitals are equipped with a top draw MRI scanner, the costs to pay for insurance and patient are lesser. The process of getting a bone marrow sample examined alone is expensive, especially when it has to be shipped to a lab and the results have to wait for about 2-3 weeks amongst a backlog of tests.
Image

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21947
(Past Year: 670)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Downloading rice

Re: Cook Children's Hospital = CROOKS!

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:15 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Madison wrote:
wrveres wrote:no you don't. you think you do, because of your recent experiences, but caps are never a good thing. In this case they'll end up in government subsidizing even more, and they'll hinder research.


Research is great, but it shouldn't be paid for in this fashion. $13,500 for a checkup? $18,000 for a broken bone? It's beyond absurd. If the hospitals are going to continue to act like financial rapists, then I fully support the government slapping them back into reality using a rusty barb-wire covered baseball bat to get the point across. ;-D

I don't know a ton about this, so this is a real question. Where is this money going? Into whose pocket? I mean doctors are paid well (and they ought to be), but I don't think that's where these ridiculous prices are winding up; in their pockets. Obviously some of it goes to pay for the expensive machines they use, but it's not like nurses are raking in cash or anything like that -- they're paid pretty modestly in the area I live in -- they can have nice careers but their salaries certainly what are driving these prices. So who is pocketing this??


the fats cats in Washington...that's who
Image
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 10225
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Cook Children's Hospital = CROOKS!

Postby wrveres » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:53 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Madison wrote:
wrveres wrote:no you don't. you think you do, because of your recent experiences, but caps are never a good thing. In this case they'll end up in government subsidizing even more, and they'll hinder research.


Research is great, but it shouldn't be paid for in this fashion. $13,500 for a checkup? $18,000 for a broken bone? It's beyond absurd. If the hospitals are going to continue to act like financial rapists, then I fully support the government slapping them back into reality using a rusty barb-wire covered baseball bat to get the point across. ;-D

I don't know a ton about this, so this is a real question. Where is this money going? Into whose pocket? I mean doctors are paid well (and they ought to be), but I don't think that's where these ridiculous prices are winding up; in their pockets. Obviously some of it goes to pay for the expensive machines they use, but it's not like nurses are raking in cash or anything like that -- they're paid pretty modestly in the area I live in -- they can have nice careers but their salaries certainly what are driving these prices. So who is pocketing this??


I'm no expert of course, but from my reading last year, there is a ton that goes into this. Emergency rooms must keep a larger staff on hand at all times, as they never know what is coming through that door. The ER also practices extreme defensive medicine as they are the most likely to be sued. Thats why in Mad's case they did the cat scan and notified a trauma team. Another thing is emergency rooms are a specialty service. If you call a 24 hour plumber at 3 am on a Sunday, you pay more. He does the same thing obviously. Ever had your car towed on a weekend? its twice as expensive. Also lets not forget that they are attempting to recoup losses from the uninsured, and then you also have about 10% of that cost in malpractice insurance. Its not one small thing.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 660)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Cook Children's Hospital = CROOKS!

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:56 am

Art Vandelay wrote:Glad to hear your wife and kid are okay!

I love you so much. :-]
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 14716
Joined: 24 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: Cook Children's Hospital = CROOKS!

Postby Madison » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:25 pm

wrveres wrote:I'm no expert of course, but from my reading last year, there is a ton that goes into this. Emergency rooms must keep a larger staff on hand at all times, as they never know what is coming through that door. The ER also practices extreme defensive medicine as they are the most likely to be sued. Thats why in Mad's case they did the cat scan and notified a trauma team. Another thing is emergency rooms are a specialty service. If you call a 24 hour plumber at 3 am on a Sunday, you pay more. He does the same thing obviously. Ever had your car towed on a weekend? its twice as expensive. Also lets not forget that they are attempting to recoup losses from the uninsured, and then you also have about 10% of that cost in malpractice insurance. Its not one small thing.


The hospital was already open though, that's a little different than calling a plumber out of bed at 3 AM. A comparable situation would be Wal-Mart charging 10X what a reasonable price is, but only during certain hours of the day (during the rush or overnight). Doesn't make any sense.

As to the CT, all they had to do was have my wife sign a release. She refused the CT several times until finally letting them do it so they could leave.

I'm not completely unreasonable of course, I understand hospitals have additional bills and things we don't generally think about. I mean I did pay every cent of the $16K+ for my appendectomy even though I felt it was robbery. $13,500 for a checkup though? That's just stupid and you'd think they wouldn't be dumb enough to go that crazy with the overbilling. Especially right now with so many people starting to take matters into their own hands. They are playing Russian Roulette and they will lose the game soon enough.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Re: Cook Children's Hospital = CROOKS!

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:52 pm

Madison wrote:
wrveres wrote:I'm no expert of course, but from my reading last year, there is a ton that goes into this. Emergency rooms must keep a larger staff on hand at all times, as they never know what is coming through that door. The ER also practices extreme defensive medicine as they are the most likely to be sued. Thats why in Mad's case they did the cat scan and notified a trauma team. Another thing is emergency rooms are a specialty service. If you call a 24 hour plumber at 3 am on a Sunday, you pay more. He does the same thing obviously. Ever had your car towed on a weekend? its twice as expensive. Also lets not forget that they are attempting to recoup losses from the uninsured, and then you also have about 10% of that cost in malpractice insurance. Its not one small thing.


The hospital was already open though, that's a little different than calling a plumber out of bed at 3 AM. A comparable situation would be Wal-Mart charging 10X what a reasonable price is, but only during certain hours of the day (during the rush or overnight). Doesn't make any sense.

As to the CT, all they had to do was have my wife sign a release. She refused the CT several times until finally letting them do it so they could leave.

I'm not completely unreasonable of course, I understand hospitals have additional bills and things we don't generally think about. I mean I did pay every cent of the $16K+ for my appendectomy even though I felt it was robbery. $13,500 for a checkup though? That's just stupid and you'd think they wouldn't be dumb enough to go that crazy with the overbilling. Especially right now with so many people starting to take matters into their own hands. They are playing Russian Roulette and they will lose the game soon enough.

Honestly, I think the biggest problem here is that no one is ever notified of costs until after. I wholly support the efforts by some very local politicians to push for 'menus' that show the prices of fairly common events. I know that in the heat of the moment, some things need to be done, but in cases like this, a little brochure with the expected cost of a scan would have gone a long way to preventing all of this hullabaloo.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 14716
Joined: 24 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: Cook Children's Hospital = CROOKS!

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:03 pm

Isn't anyone blaming the lawyers? :-D
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 268)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact