Anyone ever employ a steals focused strategy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Anyone ever employ a steals focused strategy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Anyone ever employ a steals focused strategy?

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:06 am

Is that new? It's been a few years since I've played on Yahoo! but they used to use ERA as the tiebreaker in H2H...
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 821)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:11 am

bigh0rt wrote:Is that new? It's been a few years since I've played on Yahoo! but they used to use ERA as the tiebreaker in H2H...

The new tiebreaker is head to head matchup during the regular season. If you tied that as well then the next tiebreaker is regular season standings.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 455)

Postby jackie hayes » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:14 am

bigh0rt wrote:Is that new? It's been a few years since I've played on Yahoo! but they used to use ERA as the tiebreaker in H2H...

I was wondering that, too. I looked into the tiebreaks at the beginning of this "week", and I was surprised because I thought they used to use particular cats (which I liked a lot better).

Oh, and congrats, gravy. ;-D
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 274)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:17 am

Congrats! ;-D Of course it's not impossible, it's just unlikely. Congratulations on being the exception.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby wrveres » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:33 am

congrats
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1151)

Postby GRIN » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:40 am

2011 was only my 2nd year playing fantasy baseball. Yahoo's current tiebreakers for H2H (winning percentage against the opponent during the regular season and then seed) seem appropriate to me. It adds importance to the regular season matchups and standings.

Does anyone know what Yahoo's rationale in the past was for selecting a single category as a tiebreaker? That would value pitchers over hitters - why ERA over AVG for example?

Not an important question obviously. Just interested in the history there.

Gord
20 team baseball H2H keeper league
14 team basketball H2H keeper league (looking for expansion teams)
20 team hockey H2H keeper league
MLB Beat the Streak
ESPN Streak for the Cash
GRIN
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 22)

Postby jackie hayes » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:25 am

GRIN wrote:2011 was only my 2nd year playing fantasy baseball. Yahoo's current tiebreakers for H2H (winning percentage against the opponent during the regular season and then seed) seem appropriate to me. It adds importance to the regular season matchups and standings.

Does anyone know what Yahoo's rationale in the past was for selecting a single category as a tiebreaker? That would value pitchers over hitters - why ERA over AVG for example?

Not an important question obviously. Just interested in the history there.

Gord

I think the particular cat is arbitrary, average and ERA would be equally good. They could just flip a coin.

I just don't like having the regular season determine actual playoff matchups. Once the seedings are done, I think it should be a completely new season. To each his own.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 274)

Postby gravenewworld » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:17 pm

UPDATE:

2012: Finished #2 in division, made it to the finals.

2013: Playoff bound! Have only lost 5 weeks the whole year, and have just defeated every single playoff team in a row. Since week 8, my team has only lost 2 times, with only 5 weekly losses for the whole year. Fantastic consistency. Right now I am tied for #1 in the division.

Here's a snap shot of how this season has turned out:

http://i.imgur.com/buKnKT2.jpg(blacked out names that might have personal info)

The sweeney plan has proven to be extremely difficult to combat, in fact the league is thinking about rewriting the rules because of it. My ENTIRE offense this year consists of all free agents. Only one offensive player I've drafted from the original draft remains. I guess that's what makes the sweeney plan so deadly--the ability to cheaply tailor your roster and fix it through simple FA moves instead of heavily investing in offense with high draft picks.

2011: champ, 2012: runner up, 2013: playoff spot with very high possibility of finishing first in division again. The consistent results speak for themselves.
gravenewworld
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:55 pm

I'm interested in seeng a) your post-draft roster and b) your current roster
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 821)

Postby gravenewworld » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:02 pm

bigh0rt wrote:I'm interested in seeng a) your post-draft roster and b) your current roster

Sure, NP:

Draft:
http://imgur.com/p0wfORZ
(had a lot of stinkers, but easily was fixable, that's the beauty of not valuing expensive bats). Notice my complete commitment to the sweeney plan. You can't half ass the strategy early on. You have to take the plunge if you're going to do it. OFs every single year are absolutely overvalued, I never understand why anyone drafts an OF before rd10.

Current lineup that is currently tied for first (took some FA moves and 2 trades):
http://imgur.com/OXC7sDO

Ohlendorf is not rosterable, but currently just a free spot I use to stream offense or pitching when needed.

Also, to show my completely commitment to the Sweeney strategy, here are the Offensive and Pitching total stats for the season thus far:

Offense (my team is the one blacked out all the way at the bottom):

http://imgur.com/gs7ujHu

(you'll have to rank the teams by totals, I only posted 1 snap shot since it would be far too many pics to post the sorted category for each stat).

Pitching (my team is the one blacked out at top):
http://imgur.com/2PVdtYZ

This is literally how my teams have performed for the past 3 years--dead last in HRs and RBIs, 1st in steals, and in the bottom half for runs while finishing near the top in almost
every pitching category. It's proven to be resilient and consistent. It's why the league might blow up and move to a total points base league. The sweeney plan exploits the inhenrent flaw of 5x5---namely the fact that things like OBP/AVG and SBs are equal in worthiness to a HR.
gravenewworld
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 3)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers