Soria vs Gallardo? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Soria vs Gallardo?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Soria vs Gallardo?

Postby cubbiebob » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:44 am

In a 20 team keeper league where you give up draft picks to keep players based on where they were drafted in prior years and need to decide on keeping Joakim Soria or Yovani Gallardo in exchange for my 3rd round pick (60th overall). I've gone through some mock drafts trying to determine what other players might be keeping and both Soria and Gallardo are definitely worth keeping at this point but I can only keep one.

I'm keeping 3 other starters (Z. Greinke - 5th, B. Anderson - 7th and C. Lewis 8th. I won't be keeping any other RPs and don't draft again until Rd 11 so there won't be any of the top 25 closers left on the board which has me leaning towards keeping Soria.

Another option would be to keep B. Lidge in place of Lewis (seems like a stretch) and then keep Gallardo instead of Soria.

With Gallardo's 2nd half slump, I think my best choice is to go with Soria who should be close to a sure thing.

Scoring system is complicated but to keep it simple, let's assume this is a 5 x 5 league.

Thanks for your opinions!

cubbiebob
...cautiously optimistic
cubbiebob
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Soria vs Gallardo?

Postby amarlls » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:46 am

Ya I agree, stick with Soria there

please help
viewtopic.php?t=422312
amarlls
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:15 am

Soria

There must be better options then Lewis 8th?
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby cubbiebob » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:26 am

My only real alternatives for my 8th round pick are Lewis or Lidge. Or neither and I keep the pick.

Being a 20 team league, the pick is the 141st overall selection and there some really decent players that will be kept in Rd 8 and 9 that are better than Lewis which boosts his value. Going through my mock draft with many different Top 300 expert lists, Lewis is worth the pick.

ADP for Lewis is 113.34 on MockDraftCentral.com but some of that is due to his decent playoff performance. Doesn't mean I'm necessarily sold on him, but what can you do.
...cautiously optimistic
cubbiebob
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 3)

Postby MaudDib » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:43 am

I think I would keep Gallardo. Soria is a very good RP but there are some issues to think about. The Royals are a bad team and the odds that he gets 40+ for a team that won't win 80 is asking a lot. Plus RP is so volatile that Soria is no lock to stay healthy. Lastly he could be traded as well which means that he might not be a closer for whatever team that gets him.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:10 am

Gallardo easily over Soria. I love Soria, but Gallardo has special stuff. I would definitely throw Lewis in the 8th round back though.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby eneric » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:28 am

I personally value Gallardo over Soria. If Gallardo can keep healthy he's capable of being a top 10 pitcher in the game. The only Colby I'm buying into this season is Rasmus and the cheese that I put on my sandwiches.
eneric
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 32)

Postby cubbiebob » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:24 pm

Thanks to everyone for the input.
...cautiously optimistic
cubbiebob
Little League Legend
Little League Legend