How much do you factor in Spring results? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How much do you factor in Spring results?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How much do you factor in Spring results?

Postby fishingmn » Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:50 am

I've been watching the spring results closely and find myself making roster decisions based on how guys are faring so far.

For example, I dropped Brian Lawrence as he's looked terrible and have picked up players like Aaron Harang and Tim Redding who have had good springs.

Does anyone feel this is a bad strategy? Should I be worried about guys like Johan Santana who are struggling and try to trade him or wait out through April and see some real games?

I guess what I'm really asking is how much does a good or bad spring translate into performance in April/May?
fishingmn
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:50 am

The answer is..almost nothing. The problem is that there is just too much noise to place too much weight on them. Guys are trying new pitches or stances; they are pitching against a huge variety in talent. Unless it's injury related, I would try to ignore it as much as possible.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby CrimeDog » Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:35 am

I'll make minor changes like adding and dropping fringe type starters or reserve players based on their spring numbers, but nothing major.
CrimeDog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:49 am

Bonds has 5 HRs in his last 12 spring ABs (as of yesterday morning). Hard to ignore.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby EugeneStyles » Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:50 am

I agree with Crime Dog. Brian Lawrence was approx. tied for last starter on my team with Adam Eaton (after I made the most excrutiatingly difficult trade yet, getting Prior straight-up for Gagne... too good not to accept it, but his injury is worse than they thought at first, so it's painful, and I'm down to only 3 reliable closers). Based on Lawrence's spring stats, when it came time to release a starter, he went down and Eaton stayed.

I usually don't even hear much about spring stats, but the things you do hear are probably worth valuing "just a little". I wouldn't avoid drafting Soriano or somebody just cause they had a bad spring.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby PacBellParker » Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:50 am

[quote="Anonymous"]Bonds has 5 HRs in his last 12 spring ABs (as of yesterday morning). Hard to ignore.[/quote]

Oops, forgot to log in.
PacBellParker
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby sinicalypse » Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:53 am

they're not the end-all, but i use them to fill in the last few bench spots of my roster. while spring stats dont necessarily mean greatness, they can give you a clue of someone who might break out this year.

for example: who'd consider putting mike cuddyer on their bench before this spring? nobody. but when he's hitting .400+ 4 HR 16 rbi and slugging .700? shoot i'm inclined to give him a shot.

last year i was all over tony armas jr for the expos, mainly cuz he had 27K and 3 BB all spring. he was awesome early last year, and he only had one bad start out of like 4 or 5... then after that bad start he needed shoulder surgery and he was out for the year.

but i swear to you, armas was pitching like a madman... so in spring i look for pitchers with staggeringly good #s, hitters who are going apeshit, and if they're previously menial players who nobody will pick up, f0ckit, i'll give 'em a chance to shine on my bench and perhaps into my starting lineup... you never know. it's a gamble, i mean you cant realistically expect to fill a starting position with someone previously unproven who had a hot spring, but i think they do give you ideas, moreso with pitchers than anyone else.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Mar 27, 2004 5:17 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:The answer is..almost nothing. The problem is that there is just too much noise to place too much weight on them. Guys are trying new pitches or stances; they are pitching against a huge variety in talent. Unless it's injury related, I would try to ignore it as much as possible.

I agree. In fact this spring i have completely ignored SPRING STATS. I couldn't tell you anything on whos great or bad, other then Drew and Nomo. I don't want those numbers clouding my judgement. My drafts are done, and i ignored spring, except for Nomo only hitting 85 mph.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 296)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby fishingmn » Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:00 pm

Here's why I shouldn't worry about Santana after today's game I guess -

IP H R ER BB SO HR
MINNESOTA
J Santana (W,2-0) 5 2 0 0 2 4 0
fishingmn
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RynMan » Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:35 pm

how can u read anything into 25 at-bats? spring training mean nothing. u get hitters that are facing non-roster invitees who are battling jus for a place on the bench, have you seen the guys drew has hit his 5 jacks off?? then you have pitchers jus working on certain things like throwing a pitch when behind in the count etc, and getting tagged for it. spring training is where guys dont care about performance, and jus care about working on things.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers