Middle Reliever/Streaming Strategy for 5x5 Roto League - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Middle Reliever/Streaming Strategy for 5x5 Roto League

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Middle Reliever/Streaming Strategy for 5x5 Roto League

Postby Red Five » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:39 pm

Looking to try something different this year. I play in a 5x5 Roto keeper league, standard categories, auction format. We have no IP limit but we do have a GS limit, and daily pickups are permitted.

Starting pitchers generally go for between $10 and $20 ($260 budget) and closers go for the same, with aces going for slightly higher. MR's rarely go for more than $1. Daily unlimited pickups, and closers are almost always gone during the season within 30 minutes of a news report of injury or closer change, so it's difficult to assume you'll be able to grab anyone off the waiver wire after the draft. I also noticed last year that streaming pitchers was fairly effective, as most people didn't carry extra pitchers so there was usually decent options available, and it was much easier to find a good starter on the wire than any other category.

This year I'm thinking I can get an advantage by drafting just one or two high K starters, 3 closers (preferably low ERA/WHIP guys) and fill in the rest with strong setup guys with good ratios, good K/9 and a chance to close later in the season. Since there is no IP limit, I'll get "free" Ks and a few Ws using my MR's which don't count against my GS total, and hopefully get out in front in WHIP and ERA. I can look for good streaming opportunities as the season goes on and only stream when the matchup looks particularly good.

I'll be low in Ws, middle in Ks, near the top in the other pitching categories, but drafting a bunch of $1 MRs instead of $5-$10 starters will give me extra cash for hitting, and I will have a cushion of GS to add starters later in the season through trades or if a good starter comes on the waiver wire (ala De La Rosa or Jaime Garcia last year).

Thoughts?
Red Five
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Middle Reliever/Streaming Strategy for 5x5 Roto League

Postby Remotethumb » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:51 am

Sounds like as good a plan as any to me. You've played some, huh? I'm not going to sit here and say things like "Kuo is even more valuable to you" cause I think you already know the value of low WHIP ERA MR who are cheap (of course he'll be a little more expensive this year but you get my point)

The GS limit is a critical thing (in my experience). Last year I had the crazy idea to draft pitchers (the idea came to me b/c of draft conditions, everyone stubbornly taking hitters and leaving better-tiered pitchers there...hey, don't get me wrong, I love hitters over pitchers just like the next guy but not when I can choose between a tier 2 pitcher or a tier 5 hitter) So I loaded up on pitching somewhat. But then I ran into the GS limit, so all those great pitchers just sat on the bench for the last 2 or 3 weeks.

So because of the GS limit, believe it or not, it is my theory that starting pitchers need to be taken down a notch in my rankings.

I like your idea. I hope next year you will let us know how it works
Remotethumb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions