Is it worth my while to give up Wainwright WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Is it worth my while to give up Wainwright WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is it worth my while to give up Wainwright WHIR

Postby Guzman24 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:15 pm

We keep 6 in this league. 6x6 - Count QS and W's for pitchers, OBP and OPS for hitters (No AVG) 10 Team league

Right now my keepers are: Cano, Kemp, Holliday, Zimmerman, Fielder, Wainwright.

I have no 1st round pick (traded it away last season) but have two 2nd rounders

I have someone who's really interested in Wainwright. They won't part with a 1st but would send me a 2nd. Would you you deal Wainwright for a 2nd rounder? I'd then keep Reyes instead and have 3 picks in the 2nd round which would allow me to load up on SP.

Downgrading from Wainwright to Reyes isn't all that bad. I'd just be tossing Reyes back for nothing otherwise.
Guzman24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is it worth my while to give up Wainwright WHIR

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:33 pm

Initially I was thinking no way but after a bit of thought I think you should do it. Reyes would be a great addition to your hitters and would give you what should be a very dominant and well-rounded offense. Not having an ace to build your pitching staff around hurts, but it's worth it here as long as you make sure to grab some good pitchers in the 2nd round. If you do this I'd say 2, if not all 3, of your picks in round 2 should be pitchers.

The quality of the team you're trading with should be taken into account (he's getting a great deal here) but that alone probably isn't enough to keep you from doing it.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Guzman24 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:38 pm

jake_twothousandfive wrote:Initially I was thinking no way but after a bit of thought I think you should do it. Reyes would be a great addition to your hitters and would give you what should be a very dominant and well-rounded offense. Not having an ace to build your pitching staff around hurts, but it's worth it here as long as you make sure to grab some good pitchers in the 2nd round. If you do this I'd say 2, if not all 3, of your picks in round 2 should be pitchers.

The quality of the team you're trading with should be taken into account (he's getting a great deal here) but that alone probably isn't enough to keep you from doing it.

He finished last last season. He's loaded with extra picks but his last keeper is terrible. I've been doing all I can to try and pry a 1st rounder off of him without any luck. Pitching is extremely deep though and I think I will be able to build a pretty solid rotation with those 3 second round picks.

It sucks just having to toss Reyes back for nothing too. That's why I'm leaning towards doing it too. There's talk of Reyes being dealt too which could possibly also increase his value.
Guzman24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby teaaker » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:39 pm

On my team, I like Wainwright>Reyes. SS is shallower, but he scares me a bit. His walk rate was way down last year, so that hurt his OBP, etc. Is .320 his normal (returning to his younger years), or it is closer to .350? Tough call.

What types of pitchers are going back into the pool?

Help Please:
viewtopic.php?t=422106
teaaker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby teaaker » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:40 pm

What about reyes for picks?
teaaker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Guzman24 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:44 pm

teaaker wrote:What about reyes for picks?

I've tried shopping him.....especially on that 23rd player in Yahoo ranking........No takers unfortunately :(
Guzman24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby JetsFan13 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:59 pm

Reyes is typically around .355 for OBP

I don't think it is bad to keep reyes and trade Wainwright for a 2nd rd pick but, as it was asked before, it does depend on what pitchers are going to be available to you. Is the draft a snake draft or will the worst team picking 1st in each rd? If the team that you are trading with is the worst team you would get the last pick in the 2nd rd.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=421732&p=3347612#p3347612
JetsFan13
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:05 pm

I would do the deal and keep Reyes.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guzman24 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:29 pm

JetsFan13 wrote:Reyes is typically around .355 for OBP

I don't think it is bad to keep reyes and trade Wainwright for a 2nd rd pick but, as it was asked before, it does depend on what pitchers are going to be available to you. Is the draft a snake draft or will the worst team picking 1st in each rd? If the team that you are trading with is the worst team you would get the last pick in the 2nd rd.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=421732&p=3347612#p3347612

If I made this deal I would have 2 high 2nd rounders. 1st pick in the 2nd round as well as the 3rd pick in the 2nd round that I recently traded for.
I'd also have mine which is the 9th pick in the 2nd round.

I don't think many pitchers are being kept. There should be lots available. Granted I won't have a legitimate "ace" but I think I should be able to field a very solid staff in the 2nd. round.
Guzman24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:43 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:I would do the deal and keep Reyes.

;-D
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 296)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions