First year in a long running keepers league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

First year in a long running keepers league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: First year in a long running keepers league

Postby Elsy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:28 pm

KosherK wrote:I guess the other option is to grab both Drew and Rollins and hope price falls to me at the 11th spot (pitching seems so deep this year that there isn't a huge falloff from him - Latos etc. could be had)

Pretty sure I said to take both Drew & Phillps, also Price wouldn't drop that far IMO.
Elsy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 43)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:11 pm

Please explain why Drew over CC???????????
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 296)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Ernie.Whitt. » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:30 pm

Wow... crazy (hard to visualize) scoring (which I don't really like) but great players to build a foundation from. Personally, I'd go...

Price, McCutchen, A Gonzalez, Drew, Choo, CC.

That gives you a great young offensive core, a top young SP, and the final player with (I believe) the highest upside in terms of trade value moving forward.

For this year, I think CC is a great add... and if you are not competing for whatever reason (though it looks like you could), then I have no doubt CC could get you more in a trade than Phillips (for example) could.

Thoughts on mine?
viewtopic.php?t=422033
Ernie.Whitt.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 49)

Postby jrock_at_rons » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:38 pm

Adrian Beltre 564.66
David Price 667.65
Jimmy Rollins 268.8
Brandon Phillips 458.45 ;-D
Shin-Soo Choo 562.95 ;-D
Chris Young 540.89
Martín Prado 484.81
Kelly Johnson 535.22
Clayton Kershaw 647.8 XXX (not available) ;-D
Hong-Chih Kuo 326.25
Rafael Soriano 357.9
Michael Young 520.22
CC Sabathia 730.4 ;-D
Joakim Soria 357.75
Adrian Gonzales 608 ;-D
Stephen Drew 463.31
Andrew McCutchen 500.92 ;-D

I would take Gonzalez, Choo, Phillips, McCutch, CC and Kershaw. Easily. Price would be the 7th, but I will always take offense over a pitcher.
jrock_at_rons
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 22)

Postby KosherK » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:07 am

HOOTIE wrote:Please explain why Drew over CC???????????

Here's what I was thinking keep C.C. but take my chances with Price dropping to 11th pick in the first round (players in my league could only take 6 players and I think he might slip down that far as other people need to fill up holes (SS, 2B, etc) - so something looking like:

(I'm still one over right now)

1B Adrian Gonzalez
2B Phillips
3B Beltre
SS Drew
OF Choo
OF McCutchen
SP CC

So from these - do you think McCutchen would fall to the 11/12th pick as well? I'd like to think in a perfect world i could take AdGo, Phillips, Beltre, Drew, Choo & CC and then pick up Price and McCutchen. It just seems like there is such a huge drop off between the guys in my infield and the next available options in the league.

It seems in general there are lots of decent outfielders out there - but would appreciate any feedback on my thinking here
KosherK
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Elsy » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:13 am

More of a personal preference. Especially in keeper leagues I don't always go by age but some of the time when it comes down to the last couple of selections I might take a younger less proven guy with tons of upside and who still hasn't hit his full potential.

Given the amount of IP CC has over the last few years and the state of the Yanks rotation heading into the year I have this feeling that he will get worn out as the season goes as they may have to leave him out there longer than they would usually like to help save bull pen arms from being overworked.
Elsy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby KosherK » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:30 am

Ya it's tricky in our league because you only get the 6 keepers (and this is my first ever pick) - I like McCutchen - but (let's assume I keep Price or CC, because you need one ace... and I still think price will fall to at least 11th given what others are keeping) who else would you realistically give up on in this list?
KosherK
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Elsy » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:41 am

KosherK wrote:Ya it's tricky in our league because you only get the 6 keepers (and this is my first ever pick) - I like McCutchen - but (let's assume I keep Price or CC, because you need one ace... and I still think price will fall to at least 11th given what others are keeping) who else would you realistically give up on in this list?

If you feel you must keep CC then I would keep him over Phillips. 2B is not as thin as it used to be and you can prolly find a suitable replacement in the draft, or always redraft him. But if he is gone I would look to take a shot on Aaron Hill in the draft this year, He still showed pretty good power numbers last year the only thing that fell off the face of the earth was his batting avg. which, hopefully, gets back to his career avg .275+ with more than likely better run production closer to 2009 than 2010.
Elsy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby KosherK » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:54 am

I was thinking of actually dropping Phillips here - and taking my chance with picking up Prado or even Zorbrist or Hill (both had middling seasons but should bounce back) and with Prado and Zobrist I get 2 (or 3 or even 4) position eligibility

And actually Prado and Zobrist ended up within 20 points of Phillips (Prado was higher)
KosherK
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby fast dogs » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:57 pm

do not let McCutchen go back in to the pool, last year was likely his worst of the next decade. CC led your team in scoring by a wide margin and comes to camp carrying less weight. Tough choice on who goes, just make sure these 2 go with you to the draft
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 280)

PreviousNext

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions