Making the switch to OBP - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Making the switch to OBP

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Making the switch to OBP

Postby steaksammich » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:56 pm

This year my league has decided to make the switch and ditch AVG in favor of OBP. The only question now is how to value it? I've been ranking players based on Standings Gain Points for the last couple of years so for AVG a player gets ranked based on how much he would increase or decrease my team's AVG from the league average (which has been about .279 over the last five years). What's a typical OBP for a fantasy team? Anyone have any idea where I can find that or any ideas based on what your league's OBP usually pans out to be?
steaksammich
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Making the switch to OBP

Postby chargerss24 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:33 pm

On Base Percentage not only takes into account of not only hits, but walks and hit by pitches. So an Adam Dunn will certainly see a jump in value if you're going from Average to OBP.

This was how our 12-team roto league standings in OBP turned out last year:

1. .372 (league record best set)
2. .355 (my team)
3. .350
4. .347
5. .344
6. .341
7. .340
8. .333
9. .332
10 .332
11. .328 (league record second-worst set)
12. .323 (league record worst set)

Hope this helps.
C-Doumit, Salty
1B- Fielder
2B-Pedroia
SS-Reyes
3B-Longoria
CI- Morneau
MI- Kipnis
OF- Myers Jennings Heyward
U- Ellsbury, B. Upton, Bruce

SP-Price Fernandez Miller Wheeler, Kluber
RP-Grilli, Farquhar, Crow, Veras
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby Nerfherders » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:39 pm

Ive been playing OBP leagues for years. In my 10 teamer, it usually takes .365-.370 to win the cat. In my 16 teamer it's usually .360-.365. league OBP has actually been going down over the last 5 years or so, but it fluctuates. My general eye-ball breakpoint for any given player is .350. .350 won't hurt you or help you. You can go lower if the player brings other things like SB or HR, but you almost always have to have at least one or two .400+ players to win the stat.
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 4)

Postby gravenewworld » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:57 am

MY league is switching to OBP this year and it will surprise you how it affects player values. Last year Juan Pierre had a better OBP than players like Jose Reyes, Brandon Phillips, and Matt Kemp. Pierre could very well have a better OBP than all of them again this year as well as score more R and SB. In otherwords in a standard 5x5 H2H league, Juan Pierre is better than Reyes, Kemp, and Phillips in 3 out of the 5 scoring categories, thus making him potentially more valuable than all of them.
gravenewworld
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:56 am

I'm joining a work league that is 6x6, but has OBP as the 6th category (R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OBP)...the 6 pitching cats are standard (W/S/K/ERA/WHIP/HLD).

I'm looking forward to paying a lot more attention to OBP this year...IMO it makes more sense since this stat incorporates more of a player's overall game (the ability to just get on base).
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby DaSh 1s » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:37 pm

BALCO All-Stars wrote:(R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OBP) .

Average basically gets counted twice then.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby ezvstheworld » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:54 pm

BALCO All-Stars wrote:I'm joining a work league that is 6x6, but has OBP as the 6th category (R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OBP)...the 6 pitching cats are standard (W/S/K/ERA/WHIP/HLD).

It would make a lot more sense to get swap AVG for SLG. As the guy before said, you effectively double count average and devalue power. Either that or swap OBP for OPS. Both combinations work much better than AVG and OBP in a 6x6.
ezvstheworld
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby DaSh 1s » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:07 pm

ezvstheworld wrote:
BALCO All-Stars wrote:I'm joining a work league that is 6x6, but has OBP as the 6th category (R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OBP)...the 6 pitching cats are standard (W/S/K/ERA/WHIP/HLD).

It would make a lot more sense to get swap AVG for SLG. As the guy before said, you effectively double count average and devalue power. Either that or swap OBP for OPS. Both combinations work much better than AVG and OBP in a 6x6.

But then HR get counted twice.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Matthias » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:09 pm

ezvstheworld wrote:

There's nothing wrong with double-counting average and devaluing power. The most important base you reach when you're at bat is the first one.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DaSh 1s » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:11 pm

Matthias wrote:
ezvstheworld wrote:

There's nothing wrong with double-counting average and devaluing power. The most important base you reach when you're at bat is the first one.

That's real baseball. We are talking about Fantasy baseball here.
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers