GM hourly workers get $4,000 bonuses - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

GM hourly workers get $4,000 bonuses

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: GM hourly workers get $4,000 bonuses

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:05 pm

wrveres wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Had a faculty meeting with the superintendent on Tuesday about the layoffs that will be happening come June. Budget will be made public sometime late April, voted on May 15th. I'm a chopping block candidate. Had a meeting with my building union rep to discuss possibilities, etc. yesterday. As things go I'll give you a first hand account of what the union does and how it operates. As it was explained to me yesterday, the only thing they're doing right now is proactively working with the district board to try and allow retirement candidates to negotiate the terms of retirement early, before the budget is built, so they can budget the savings made from retirees (typically retirees won't announce retirement until the end of the school year, so they still have leverage) in order to try and save jobs. They are also making sure that the terms of my contract are followed if I am excessed, or worst case, laid off, as far as where I fall on the ladder compared to others who are in the same boat.

Keep in mind this is all happening in one of the wealthiest and most well run districts in the entire United States, and by no fault of their own. Our budget has been meticulously incredible for the last fifteen years, but the state is mandating a cut of between $2.5 - 4.5 million in order to receive state aide. God help the people who work in the poor or poorly run areas.


H0rt, the reason you are being laid off, is because of that Union. Instead of figuring out who the bad/under performing teachers are, they just cut the new guy. Its wrong a million times to Sunday, and no business in their right mind would operate like that. Well at least no successful one. But then again, unions have shown over time that they are only successful at helping the guys who work at the AFL-CIO line their pockets with your money. Ask almost any worker in Detroit. Ask pretty much any ex textile employee.

No I know. If it were solely performance based I wouldn't have a worry in the world since I'm widely considered one of the best teachers in the entire school, especially cause of all of the things I'm certified to teach, and my track record, brief as it may be, being so solid. But, it is what it is. I'm taking suggestions for what I can do with a BA in Mathematics & Statistics and a MS in Secondary Education & Students with Disabilities, because there's about a billion out of work teachers in NY and come June I may be one of them.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24818
(Past Year: 347)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Re: GM hourly workers get $4,000 bonuses

Postby wrveres » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:13 pm

well if it helps, the bartender at my favorite watering hole has a masters degree, and she has wanted to be a teacher her whole life, but no district will talk to her, because she already has the degree, and they would have to start her off at more money.

How good are you at making drinks? :-D

I remember a few years back, you and I were talking about your continuing education, and how it was mandatory. I don't see that as a bad thing, and with your real world experience, plus those degrees, i can't see you being out of work for very long. It may not be the field you want right now, but one thing i know about you is you don't lack ambition or desire. You'll be back on your feet in no time. Not a doubt in my mind.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 687)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: GM hourly workers get $4,000 bonuses

Postby lastingsgriller » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:27 pm

wrveres wrote:well if it helps, the bartender at my favorite watering hole has a masters degree, and she has wanted to be a teacher her whole life, but no district will talk to her, because she already has the degree, and they would have to start her off at more money.

How good are you at making drinks? :-D



meh, bartenders make more money than teachers anyways..
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 3882
(Past Year: 172)
Joined: 21 Jan 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: ..skipping the light fandango.

Re: GM hourly workers get $4,000 bonuses

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:11 am

lastingsgriller wrote:
wrveres wrote:well if it helps, the bartender at my favorite watering hole has a masters degree, and she has wanted to be a teacher her whole life, but no district will talk to her, because she already has the degree, and they would have to start her off at more money.

How good are you at making drinks? :-D



meh, bartenders make more money than teachers anyways..

I was a bartender in college. You can definitely make good money if you're in a good spot but it's hardly a lifestyle I'm still interested in living. If I wake up past 8 am I feel like I've wasted too much of the day anymore. Getting old.

wr, I've heard of similar stories about teachers being looked over because they're 'over qualified' -- in fact one of my best friends waited to submit his final thesis for his masters which was completed until after he got hired because he was afraid it would be a strike against him. At any rate, it's just a waiting game for me. I'm just hoping the coin lands on heads instead of tails and I get to keep doing the job that I feel I am best suited, makes me happiest, at the place where I'm very content.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24818
(Past Year: 347)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Re: GM hourly workers get $4,000 bonuses

Postby RugbyD » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:46 pm

bigh0rt wrote:I'm taking suggestions for what I can do with a BA in Mathematics & Statistics and a MS in Secondary Education & Students with Disabilities, because there's about a billion out of work teachers in NY and come June I may be one of them.

Private tutoring for families with $$ whose children have LD needs. I'm sure your MS makes you very attractive to that group. Not sure how you'd market yourself to that clientele though.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 5591
Joined: 7 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: punting small dogs and being surly

Re: GM hourly workers get $4,000 bonuses

Postby lastingsgriller » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:59 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:
wrveres wrote:well if it helps, the bartender at my favorite watering hole has a masters degree, and she has wanted to be a teacher her whole life, but no district will talk to her, because she already has the degree, and they would have to start her off at more money.

How good are you at making drinks? :-D



meh, bartenders make more money than teachers anyways..

I was a bartender in college. You can definitely make good money if you're in a good spot but it's hardly a lifestyle I'm still interested in living. If I wake up past 8 am I feel like I've wasted too much of the day anymore. Getting old.



that was a backhanded shot at the fact that those serving drinks make more than those teaching our youth, and how backwards that is... maybe should have used a ;-7
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 3882
(Past Year: 172)
Joined: 21 Jan 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: ..skipping the light fandango.

Re: GM hourly workers get $4,000 bonuses

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:53 pm

wrveres wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:
A unionized public employee, a member of the Tea Party, and a CEO are sitting at a table. In the middle of the table there is a plate with a dozen cookies on it. The CEO reaches across and takes 11 cookies looks at the Tea Partier and says,
"Look out for that union guy, he wants a piece of your cookie."

So, The Tea Partier, quickly, snatches the cookie while calling the union guy a socialist. The Tea Partier, of course, gives half the cookie back to the CEO knowing that it, along with the other 11, will "trickle" down on him...
since when do unionized public employees work for a ceo? they work for the public. hello. McFly.

That's not even in the joke lol
wrveres wrote:i'll also add, that when there is some sort of "Public CEO", ie a mayor or governor, his pay is set in stone. The minute he asks for more money, its front page news. where as when your unionized public employee gets his annual raise for calling in sick 30 times during the year, it won't even get a blurb in the union newsletter.

and lastly. who pays both this Unionized employee, and this hypothetical CEO?

Yep, you guessed it ..the ****ing Tea party guy bringing home 30 grand a year.

How does Tea Partier = earns $30,000/year = pays all public employees? Also, the CEO pays the unionized employee by paying taxes, the union guy and the CEO pay the Tea Partier by purchasing his company's products/services, and the union guy and the Tea Partier both pay for the CEO's products/services.

And what news agency reports when any corporate executive gets a pay raise at the expense of his employees and the consumers? Nothing. No one. With the exception of the executives that gave themselves bonuses and vacations after the Wall Street bailouts, but they didn't even go to jail for that.

I'll say this right here for posterity: most teachers deserve $200,000 a year and most bank executives deserve to be thrown in jail for life and have every dollar they own taken away from them and put into social programs. Instead, the teachers and workers are vilified and the ones who destroyed the economy are being paid like kings and given free passes left and right.

wrveres wrote:lastly, lastly ..
The Tea Partier, of course, gives half the cookie back to the CEO knowing that it, along with the other 11, will "trickle" down on him...

its quite obvious you haven't been paying attention. the reason these communities are broke, is because all of the public money is being "trickled down" to the union guy. in many cases this is almost 50% of the budget, or more.

its clear i reject your argument/joke, what ever you wanted to call it.

Say it. Say trickle down theory doesn't work. RENOUNCE THE GIPPER!

CEO
I see thee go
No more trickle down
I say let the power flow


lastingsgriller wrote:yeah, but what kind of cookies were they?

I think they were those delicious cranberry chocolate sugar cookies. Those are seriously amazing.
Image

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Posts: 8618
Joined: 4 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: we don't burn gasoline, we burn our dreams

Re: GM hourly workers get $4,000 bonuses

Postby wrveres » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:10 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:that was a backhanded shot at the fact that those serving drinks make more than those teaching our youth, and how backwards that is... maybe should have used a ;-7

Teachers, plus great benefits
Bartenders, and usually zero benefits.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 687)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: GM hourly workers get $4,000 bonuses

Postby wrveres » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:36 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:How does Tea Partier = earns $30,000/year = pays all public employees? Also, the CEO pays the unionized employee by paying taxes, the union guy and the CEO pay the Tea Partier by purchasing his company's products/services, and the union guy and the Tea Partier both pay for the CEO's products/services.
you are confusing public unions, and unions. i have no love for public unions, and no problem with private ones. as far as i am concerned, any ceo that lets his shop go union, deserves it. other than that, i have no idea what you are trying to say here. Are you attempting to explain capitalism?

Neato Torpedo wrote:And what news agency reports when any corporate executive gets a pay raise at the expense of his employees and the consumers? Nothing. No one. With the exception of the executives that gave themselves bonuses and vacations after the Wall Street bailouts, but they didn't even go to jail for that.
Ever hear of the Wall Street Journal? Heck there is a multi billion dollar industry built around simply monitoring such things as CEO salary, amongst other things. Oh and since when is getting a bonus, a reason to go to jail? You are one scary dude if you believe that.

Neato Torpedo wrote:most bank executives deserve to be thrown in jail for life and have every dollar they own taken away from them and put into social programs. Instead, the teachers and workers are vilified and the ones who destroyed the economy are being paid like kings and given free passes left and right.

i'l just let that beauty stand on its own right there.
wow.

I will say this. at no point have i bashed a teacher. i have routinely bashed public unions, and their dealings. i have nothing but love for teachers. its a thankless job, and they deserved to be paid based upon their talents, and not have their livelihood decided by some racketeering scheme.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 687)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: GM hourly workers get $4,000 bonuses

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:52 am

I am a scary dude. Fear the Colorado Cockle! :-D

The really scary part is that you apparently don't mind taxpayer money going to the banks that killed our economy, but when it gets to teachers? HELL NAW! And yeah, unions do protect crappy teachers on occasion, but most teachers are good at their job. Between K-12, I literally had only one bad teacher, and he was more of a douchebag/hard grader/preferential-treatment-giver than a teacher who didn't convey the proper information. Granted, I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago so there's some experimental bias there, but 29.5 good teachers out of 30 total has to mean something, at least. And if we want to benefit these 29.5 teachers, we have to accept that there will always be some subpar teachers counting down to tenure. But guess what? There's always going to be some jerk out there to exploit whatever system is in effect at the moment. Like I've always said, I'd rather give food to a child that's already eaten than let a child go to bed hungry.
Image

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Posts: 8618
Joined: 4 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: we don't burn gasoline, we burn our dreams

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact