Bryce Harper? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bryce Harper?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Bryce Harper?

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:15 pm

Tavish wrote:Don't forget Delmon Young, Mark Prior, Brien Taylor, and KC legend Alex Gordon. They all generated that future 1st ballot HoFer buzz from the time they were drafted.

Young, Taylor, Gordon never had the kind of hype Harper has. They certainly weren't BA top prospect in the minors before they even had a real Milb ab. Prior had Strasburg hype sure, but he was also fantastic for 4 years until his arm was shot. Same might happen to Stras but we'll see.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:20 am

PlayingWithFire wrote:
Tavish wrote:Don't forget Delmon Young, Mark Prior, Brien Taylor, and KC legend Alex Gordon. They all generated that future 1st ballot HoFer buzz from the time they were drafted.

Young, Taylor, Gordon never had the kind of hype Harper has. They certainly weren't BA top prospect in the minors before they even had a real Milb ab. Prior had Strasburg hype sure, but he was also fantastic for 4 years until his arm was shot. Same might happen to Stras but we'll see.

Young was a top 3 prospect by BA in every season after he was drafted out of high school.
Taylor was the #1 BA prospect before ever throwing a professional inning. He was the early 90s Strasburg without the internet feeding the hype.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby the ROC » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:12 pm

I don't know if you know this, butttt...Delmon Young is actually pretty good.

I made a bet in 2003 that the Devil Rays would win the 2008 World Series. Oh so close.
the ROC
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert
Location: Defending my Baseball, Football, and Hockey Fantasy Championships

Postby Tavish » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:22 pm

the ROC wrote:I don't know if you know this, butttt...Delmon Young is actually pretty good.

If you consider a 1.4 career WAR over 2500 PA pretty good, then yes he is. But I don't think it would qualify as coming anywhere near expectations when he was drafted 1st overall coming out of high school.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:56 am

Tavish wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:

Young was a top 3 prospect by BA in every season after he was drafted out of high school.
Taylor was the #1 BA prospect before ever throwing a professional inning. He was the early 90s Strasburg without the internet feeding the hype.

Fair enough on Young and Taylor then. Taylor did get hurt though...
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby fantasyfiend » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:33 pm

Tavish wrote:
the ROC wrote:I don't know if you know this, butttt...Delmon Young is actually pretty good.

If you consider a 1.4 career WAR over 2500 PA pretty good, then yes he is. But I don't think it would qualify as coming anywhere near expectations when he was drafted 1st overall coming out of high school.

I'm going to make this point entirely outside of the "pre-pro-buzz-turning-out-great" argument going on:

Delmon Young's fielding leaves a lot to be desired, but he's barely entering his age 25 season coming off of a .300/.333/.500 campaign in the American League. There are certainly better examples than Delmon Young to make your case, I'm sure.
fantasyfiend
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)

Postby Tavish » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:03 pm

fantasyfiend wrote:
Tavish wrote:

I'm going to make this point entirely outside of the "pre-pro-buzz-turning-out-great" argument going on:

Delmon Young's fielding leaves a lot to be desired, but he's barely entering his age 25 season coming off of a .300/.333/.500 campaign in the American League. There are certainly better examples than Delmon Young to make your case, I'm sure.

He fits perfectly with the point. My point isn't so much how good the hyped players turn out, just that it isn't all that uncommon for BA and the other major prospect ranking places to get nuts about players before they have proven anything. It's been going on for as long as there have been prospects. The next big thing is always the greatest prospect Joe Scout has ever seen.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby markj11 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:26 pm

Tavish wrote:
fantasyfiend wrote:
Tavish wrote:If you consider a 1.4 career WAR over 2500 PA pretty good, then yes he is. But I don't think it would qualify as coming anywhere near expectations when he was drafted 1st overall coming out of high school.

He fits perfectly with the point. My point isn't so much how good the hyped players turn out, just that it isn't all that uncommon for BA and the other major prospect ranking places to get nuts about players before they have proven anything. It's been going on for as long as there have been prospects. The next big thing is always the greatest prospect Joe Scout has ever seen.

Harper's the only prospect I can recall that was labeled the #1 draft pick at age 15.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Tavish » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:37 pm

Just for the record,here are the players who BA had in the Top 3 in the year following their draft (BA started their Top 100 in 1990):

#2 Ben McDonald 1990 HS
#1 Todd Van Poppel 1991 HS
#1 Brien Taylor 1992 HS
#2 Mark Prior 2002 College
#3 Delmon Young 2003 HS
#2 Justin Upton 2006 HS
#1 Stephen Strasburg 2010 College
#1 Bryce Harper 2011 HS

Dice-K and Jd Drew were both #1 rated prospects prior to playing minor league ball, but had other pro experience.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers