Bryce Harper? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bryce Harper?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Bryce Harper?

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:33 pm

In one season of what league? He hasn't even played pro ball yet. That's not to say anything bad about him, but I wouldn't be looking at runs scored on passed balls in high school baseball as a benchmark for athleticism.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:39 pm

Skin Blues wrote:In one season of what league? He hasn't even played pro ball yet. That's not to say anything bad about him, but I wouldn't be looking at runs scored on passed balls in high school baseball as a benchmark for athleticism.

Not true, he played in the AFL as an 18 years old and did well in limited ab. That is very impressive considering AFL is mostly high minors guys. I don't like to make judgment based on 35 at bats but I honestly don't know who the last 18 years old to play in the AFL, much less one who had success.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:51 pm

BEN2074X wrote:Former major league manager Davey Johnson, a senior adviser for the Nationals, recalled seeing Harper win a home-run hitting contest when he was just 15 years old. Johnson knew the kid would be special then. He liked not only Harper's bat speed and hand-eye coordination, but the maturity he displayed.

The key for Harper, Johnson said, will be to get adjusted to the life of a professional and to see different kinds of pitchers.

"I don't want to put any pressure on him, but I think by the time he's 19, he'll probably have an at-bat or two in the major leagues," Johnson said.

The last sentence seems to suggest that he will get a September call up this year? This was over on ESPN with the title "Bryce Harper arrives at Nats camp."

You know what's crazy? He's only going to turn 19 in October this year. Or he could mean September call up next year...

Also steve-o, what is your agenda against Harper. Yes prospect do bust, even the best ones. But I don't think anybody think he is merely a top 5 prospect. He is the best prospect in the minors period right now. Mike Trout is great sure, but a good leadoff guy which great bat and eye and speed aren't nearly as valuable as a mashing machine.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:14 pm

We have no idea if he's a mashing machine, he's never faced any decent competition. Those 35 AFL at-bats with a 31% k-rate and one homerun don't convince me much, no matter how old he is. When he hits it, it'll go really far, but making solid contact against major league pitching is quite another thing than being able to swing hard. Tons of potential, tons of risk. It's not uncommon for stud prospects with more of a track record than him turning out to be busts. Not saying he'll be a bust, but let him at least face some AA pitching before we anoint him the second coming.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:23 pm

Skin Blues wrote:We have no idea if he's a mashing machine, he's never faced any decent competition. Those 35 AFL at-bats with a 31% k-rate and one homerun don't convince me much, no matter how old he is. When he hits it, it'll go really far, but making solid contact against major league pitching is quite another thing than being able to swing hard. Tons of potential, tons of risk. It's not uncommon for stud prospects with more of a track record than him turning out to be busts. Not saying he'll be a bust, but let him at least face some AA pitching before we anoint him the second coming.

Strasburg and Felix were both anointed the second coming well before they were even pro. For good reasons, it's not often a guy with 35 pro at bat are named BA's top prospect.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:01 pm

Strasburg was 21 and had 3 years of college before he was drafted. Not saying Harper won't be a good player, but he's not a sure-thing in my opinion. Obviously he's got a very high ceiling, nobody is disputing that.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:51 pm

Skin Blues wrote:Strasburg was 21 and had 3 years of college before he was drafted. Not saying Harper won't be a good player, but he's not a sure-thing in my opinion. Obviously he's got a very high ceiling, nobody is disputing that.

Fine, ARod, Felix, Griffey... Those 3 and Strasburg are the kind of people who generated "The Next Great One" buzz as an amateur.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby MTUCache » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:33 am

ZOMG!!1!1!1!!!!

He went 0-2 with two Ks on a total of 7 pitches tonight (against Tankersley, no less).
This makes my projections for the 2013 season approximately 0R, 0HR, 0RBI, 0SB, and .000 average.

Obviously he's the worst player of all time and the Nats should rip up his contract.

Harper SUXORZZ!!!!!
OMG! BBQ FTW LOLZ!!!
Tankerzly PWNZ BHarpz!

Let's all over-react a bit more to the hype, shall we? :-S
Can we at least get 50 minor league PAs in before we start nominating the dude for the HoF? %-6
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ender » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:54 am

There is no reason that Harper should see an AB before rosters expand this year, he is a complete non issue imo.
Last edited by Ender on Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Tavish » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:05 am

PlayingWithFire wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:Strasburg was 21 and had 3 years of college before he was drafted. Not saying Harper won't be a good player, but he's not a sure-thing in my opinion. Obviously he's got a very high ceiling, nobody is disputing that.

Fine, ARod, Felix, Griffey... Those 3 and Strasburg are the kind of people who generated "The Next Great One" buzz as an amateur.

Don't forget Delmon Young, Mark Prior, Brien Taylor, and KC legend Alex Gordon. They all generated that future 1st ballot HoFer buzz from the time they were drafted.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers