Bryce Harper? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bryce Harper?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Bryce Harper?

Postby West » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:28 pm

Steve-o wrote:The sheen has kinda worn off him lately hasn't it? There are some serious questions about his ability to hit for average, his ability to find a position, his makeup, and his timetable. His ceiling is incredible because of the plus plus power, but his floor is Brandon Wood. He doesn't make an impact until 2013, and probably doesn't play a full season in MLB until 2014.

I'd be suprised if 2014 is his first full season. If he doesn't strike out 200 times this year, I can see a Sept callup in 2012 and a spring invite with a 50-50 shot at a full time job in 2013. It wouldn't be overly optimistic considering his potential; Strasburg got a callup last year when he was still 21 and he's a pitcher. I know there are alot of "ifs" involved, but as long as Harper's producing in the minors he won't require the same coddling that pitchers like Strasburg got.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 99)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:08 pm

He has 80 power (which is as high as the scouting scale goes), and has never struggled at any level. My guess is that he plays at least a full year in the minors, first, because it keeps the arbitration clock from starting, and second, because it is better for him to have growing pains in the minors rather than the majors.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:52 am

Skin Blues wrote:
Whalewang wrote:he's never shown an inability to not hit for average

8-o need a decoder for that. I think you forgot to carry the 1.

I read that sentence thee or four times and I still don't have enough patience to really parse it out and figure out what he's saying. "you forgot to carry the 1" made me laugh pretty hard though.

My bet is that he's called up mid-2012. The Nationals don't have any reason to rush him, and they won't unless he utterly destroys minor league pitching.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 67)

Postby kab21 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:48 am

Whalewang wrote:
I think you're really off base here. I have not read anything about a poor BA, lack of position, makeup, or timetable. His position has changed from catcher to RF (to get his bat more quickly to the bigs) to CF (they signed Werth to a 7 year contract). This shows how athletic he is. He's potentially more valuable as CFer also. He's shown to have a good work ethic, confident, and well motivated to learn and adapt. His timetable has not changed, he will get called up when he's ready...potential earliest eta 2012. Lastly he's never shown an inability to not hit for average at any stage. He averaged over .600 in two years of high school ball, hit .442 in junior college (age 17), and hit .343 in the AFL last year.

I've read about some of those concerns but I think they are greatly exaggerated by some that look for chinks in his armor. In some ways though the expectations are so high that he can only disappoint.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 187)

Postby BEN2074X » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:04 pm

[quote][/quote]Former major league manager Davey Johnson, a senior adviser for the Nationals, recalled seeing Harper win a home-run hitting contest when he was just 15 years old. Johnson knew the kid would be special then. He liked not only Harper's bat speed and hand-eye coordination, but the maturity he displayed.

The key for Harper, Johnson said, will be to get adjusted to the life of a professional and to see different kinds of pitchers.

"I don't want to put any pressure on him, but I think by the time he's 19, he'll probably have an at-bat or two in the major leagues," Johnson said.

The last sentence seems to suggest that he will get a September call up this year? This was over on ESPN with the title "Bryce Harper arrives at Nats camp."
BEN2074X
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby garf112 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:24 pm

I thought he was guaranteed a September call up this year because of his contract. I would think he gets assigned to HiA at the beginning of this year gets moved up to AA at some point and called up in September. He starts 2012 in AA and eventually gets called up in 2012 for good. At what point in 2012 depends on how much he is killing minor league pitching. I don't see where all of these 2013 and 2014 predictions are coming from. The only issues that I had heard of were of makeup, but I think it was more just that he was good and he knew it. This article is where your above quote came from: http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20110222/SPORTS/102220325/-1/pluckpersona/Nationals-Bryce-Harper-causes-stir-Viera?odyssey=nav|head
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 43)

Postby einstein2u » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:43 pm

in a keeper league, how soon would you guys reach for him this year? i am willing to stick him on the bench for 2 years. is he worth taking, lets say in the 10th round?
einstein2u
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Steve-o » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:17 am

Whalewang wrote:I think you're really off base here. I have not read anything about a poor BA, lack of position, makeup, or timetable.

Maybe we are reading different things.

Whalewang wrote:His position has changed from catcher to RF (to get his bat more quickly to the bigs) to CF (they signed Werth to a 7 year contract). This shows how athletic he is. He's potentially more valuable as CFer also.

C to RF to CF means he doesn't have a position. And he's not a CF. He'll be too big. His a corner OF.

Whalewang wrote:He's shown to have a good work ethic, confident, and well motivated to learn and adapt.

Really?

Whalewang wrote:Lastly he's never shown an inability to not hit for average at any stage. He averaged over .600 in two years of high school ball, hit .442 in junior college (age 17), and hit .343 in the AFL last year.

So you think his high school ba and juco ba are indicators of his future ba? Everyone hits for a high average in high school. I'd rely on scouts saying he can't hit breaking pitches and there are serious concerns about the number of strikeouts. He's got a hitch that he uses as a timing mechanism. I hear he is working on it, but still, it's a concern.

He's got 80 power. 80 freaking power. That's Adam Dunn plus power. It's an impressive tool, and enough to make him a top 5 prospect on almost any list. Its not like I think he is crap, but prospects, they'll break your heart.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby the ROC » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:20 am

Steve-o wrote:
Whalewang wrote:I think you're really off base here. I have not read anything about a poor BA, lack of position, makeup, or timetable.

Maybe we are reading different things.

Whalewang wrote:His position has changed from catcher to RF (to get his bat more quickly to the bigs) to CF (they signed Werth to a 7 year contract). This shows how athletic he is. He's potentially more valuable as CFer also.

C to RF to CF means he doesn't have a position. And he's not a CF. He'll be too big. His a corner OF.

Well they have Norris and Ramos at catcher and they want him in the majors asap. So there goes catcher.

Jayson Werth is in RF for the foreseeable future. So there goes right field.

As far as his athleticism, he scored 6 times on passed balls from 2nd base in one season. That's crazy.

I made a bet in 2003 that the Devil Rays would win the 2008 World Series. Oh so close.
the ROC
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert
Location: Defending my Baseball, Football, and Hockey Fantasy Championships

Postby silverZ » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:35 pm

the ROC wrote:As far as his athleticism, he scored 6 times on passed balls from 2nd base in one season. That's crazy.

8-o How is that even possible? Bad bounce, slow/bad catcher, pitcher not covering, huge secondary lead where he breaks 100% when the ball is half way to the plate...I think that has more to say about his instincts and competition than his speed/athelicism. Still, what a freak. Can't wait to see some clips of him from ST.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers