Bryce Harper? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bryce Harper?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bryce Harper?

Postby lastingsgriller » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:38 pm

does anyone know what is actually expected from this kid.. because I have not heard much.

I know he has a step up because he has played and dominated wood bat ball and I thought I heard that he was mashing in fall league as well.

are people saying he is ready to see the majors at some point this year or is he still a ways away?
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 182)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Bryce Harper?

Postby HybridTheory » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:43 pm

If he plays this year, it wont be until September. If you are drafting in a keeper league, he's definitely draftable, with the intention of not using this year.
HybridTheory
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 14)

Postby Element » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:31 pm

He hasn't had a professional plate appearance yet. I guess if he goes all Roy Hobbs on MiLB pitching he could see some September action if the Nats need to sell a few more seats for 2011. I would think that 2011 for him would be more about getting him accustomed to the grind than anything else. I would think that a 2012 debut makes more sense as a best case scenario.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 791)

Postby B-Chad » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:32 pm

The only way he sees the majors this year is if he has a September call-up stipulated in his contract (I believe Andrew Miller and/or Cameron Maybin did previously, not 100% certain of that though). BA suggests if he impresses in the spring he may open up in High Single-A, which would be a good starting point. I think a reasonable ETA would be May/June of 2013, perhaps a September callup NEXT year if he absolutely murders the ball. I wouldn't touch him in a shallow keeper league at this point though, and I'm as big a prospect sucker as anyone, but he's literally going to eat up a roster spot for this year, probably most or all of next year, and barring him hitting the ground running will have adjustments to make when he reaches the majors. Those in Dynasty leagues or deep keeper leagues obviously should realize he's a tremendous player to own/target.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:04 pm

HE'S KNARLEY
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby RAmst23 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:06 pm

Harper doesn't turn 19 until October, soo this year should be out of the question. If he's called up it will be to get him familiar with the MLB surroundings. Travel with the team, maybe pinch hit a few times. If he's doing great in the minors he might start next year in AAA, but that'd be if he had a monster year this year. Possibly late September call-up with playing time in 2012? He's so young there's no point in rushing him, opening day 2013 he'll only be 20.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Steve-o » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:33 am

The sheen has kinda worn off him lately hasn't it? There are some serious questions about his ability to hit for average, his ability to find a position, his makeup, and his timetable. His ceiling is incredible because of the plus plus power, but his floor is Brandon Wood. He doesn't make an impact until 2013, and probably doesn't play a full season in MLB until 2014.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigken117 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:41 am

RAmst23 wrote:Harper doesn't turn 19 until October, soo this year should be out of the question.

yes

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 251)

Postby Whalewang » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:40 pm

Steve-o wrote:The sheen has kinda worn off him lately hasn't it? There are some serious questions about his ability to hit for average, his ability to find a position, his makeup, and his timetable. His ceiling is incredible because of the plus plus power, but his floor is Brandon Wood. He doesn't make an impact until 2013, and probably doesn't play a full season in MLB until 2014.

I think you're really off base here. I have not read anything about a poor BA, lack of position, makeup, or timetable. His position has changed from catcher to RF (to get his bat more quickly to the bigs) to CF (they signed Werth to a 7 year contract). This shows how athletic he is. He's potentially more valuable as CFer also. He's shown to have a good work ethic, confident, and well motivated to learn and adapt. His timetable has not changed, he will get called up when he's ready...potential earliest eta 2012. Lastly he's never shown an inability to not hit for average at any stage. He averaged over .600 in two years of high school ball, hit .442 in junior college (age 17), and hit .343 in the AFL last year.
Whalewang
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:09 pm

Whalewang wrote:he's never shown an inability to not hit for average

8-o need a decoder for that. I think you forgot to carry the 1.

I don't think we can really come to any conclusions about a change in their timetable for him until we see him actually play some pro games, preferably AA.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 177)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers