How do you handle transaction limits?- HELP! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

How do you handle transaction limits?- HELP!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How do you handle transaction limits?- HELP!

Postby alyon00 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:08 pm

I am in a $50 buy in 6x6 h2h league this coming season. Some ideas have been tossed around about putting a limit on transactions. We had basic rules, 7 transactions per week which ended up being a little ridiculous. So my question is how do you handle limiting transactions? Do you exclude trades? We play with some poor college students, so making substantial payments per transaction probably will not happen. What would you recommend?

Thanks!
alyon00
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How do you handle transaction limits?- HELP!

Postby footcow » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:12 pm

Usually you would not count trades, just limit it to 7 FA acquisitions/week. Do you play on a website (ESPN,YAHOO,CBS, etc.)? If you do you should be able to put this setting in and the site will regulate it for you.
footcow
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Innovative Member

Postby bigmck » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:23 pm

Seven transactions a week is pretty standard. Why do you think it is ridiculous? == Most of the time the reason for transaction limits is to stop "pitcher streaming". A good way to do that is to have a weekly limit on Games Started". Ten is a good number.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Postby oscarsf » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:09 pm

We limit transactions to three per week. The lower limit makes you think carefully before making a move. We don't limit trades.
oscarsf
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 12)

Postby alyon00 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:15 pm

7 transactions seemed a bit ridiculous because people were add/dropping people for it seemed like no reason, just to do it. It seemed like people who lived at their computer would add/drop a few pitchers per week to try and win that week. I can see doing that sometimes but 7 transactions a week is a lot!

I have pondered the 3 transactions a week rule because it throws an extra strategy into the game. When and who to pick up plays a more important role. My question is, do you allow people to pick over 3 transactions per week for like a small fee? 50 cents, 1 dollar? And the money just goes into the pot. Playing with college kids with a tight budget. Just wondering everyones opinions on the idea and if anyone has ever done it before!
alyon00
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby bigmck » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:11 am

You have to pick a transaction limit and stick with. No one goes over for any reason. To stop the pitcher streaming you mentioned, a game started limit each week will do that.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Postby MorseOverTaveras » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:31 pm

Even with any kind of number of transaction limits per week, there's still nothing an owner from using all of that the night before the last date to go all out streaming on pitchers. The best solution is already stated, which is Max Starts Per Week...which is a feature that is still missing in Yahoo leagues - it is beyond me how they can continue to go on this long without implementing this...
MorseOverTaveras
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Postby jumiga3 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:39 pm

I've always liked the 7 tranasactions per week, which allows a move a day. You can lower that amount if you'd like, maybe to 5 or 3. In your league it seems like guys are wasting moves because they are available. If pitcher streaming is the issue, I would put a max innings cap on the teams. If not, I would recommend putting a season limit on add/drops. Maybe 75 moves or even less. Best of luck.
jumiga3
T-Ball Trainer

Postby corefour » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:19 pm

7 transactions is way too high for me. Why bother having a limit? A move every single day? I think the draft should carry more weight than that. My league uses a hard cap of 50 acquisitions for the season. Acquisitions include free agent and waiver pick-ups, but not trades. I've found it be a good number that makes you actually pause and think about whether a guy is worth picking up, rather than just picking up a guy for the hell of it. It curbs any kind of streaming and adds some interesting strategy toward the end of the season when some guys have more moves left than others.
corefour
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby oleredb » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:54 pm

I am starting my third season with a 16 team h2h points league that allows 50 free agent acquisitions per season, including playoffs. It not only stops streaming, but most owners keep backup fielders in half of their bench spots to fill in for injuries during the season. In my leagues with a limit of 5 or more acquisitions per week most owners fill all of their bench spots with pitchers.

50 acquisitions is tight and I would not go with any less, but teams do have the added strategy decision of blowing their acquisitions early in the season to stay near the top of the standings or of saving them for a late season push for the championship (in our case a playoff run).

The other option is to use a free agent acquisition budget and have a fantasy auction twice a week. I prefer on Sunday and Thursday evenings.
oleredb
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 12)

Return to Commissioner's Corner