Stumped on Keepers - Johan... Strasburg? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Stumped on Keepers - Johan... Strasburg?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Stumped on Keepers - Johan... Strasburg?

Postby luger » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:52 pm

I'm in a points-based H2H league... The scoring is skewed to favor pitchers and I can post the full scoring if anyone is interested... Only 3 OF, no MI or CI in the league. So it's a small lineup. The pitchers are only 5 SP and 1 RP. 12 team league.

We get to keep 5 players each year heading into the draft. I don't have the best crop of players to choose from as this league has been going on for many years so there are teams that have had combos like Roy Halladay with Felix Hernandez for years. Here is who I am contemplating keeping:

C - Brian McCann
1B - Adrian Gonzalez
2B - Dan Uggla
OF - Nelson Cruz

SP - Johan Santana
SP - Stephen Strasburg
SP - Hiroki Kuroda
SP - Colby Lewis
SP - John Lackey
SP - Jonathan Sanchez
SP - Scott Baker
SP - Philip Huges

My gut tells me to only keep three of the four hitters and two of the SP's. However, my two best longterm SP options are the ones who are out for most of this year (or all of this year like Strasburg). I had a lot of servicable mid-level guys like Kuroda and Lewis but it feels weird to use a keeper spot on them when I can probably just grab them a couple rounds into the draft or guys like them at least. I have a few other possible options as batters like Pedro Alvarez, Hunter Pence, Domonic Brown and B.J. Upton but wasn't sure about using a keeper pick on any of them either.

So, without further ado, I call upon you in this lovely forum to possibly lend me some advice on what you would do in this situation before I submit these keepers (and likely have to deal with some razzing from my leaguemates regardless). Thanks, all!
luger
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Stumped on Keepers - Johan... Strasburg?

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:22 pm

I'd keep all four of your hitters plus Strasburg. He won't help you this season, but his potential is so high he's worth keeping over your other SPs.
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Elsy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:38 pm

avsfan4ever33 wrote:I'd keep all four of your hitters plus Strasburg. He won't help you this season, but his potential is so high he's worth keeping over your other SPs.

Agreed, and I would also consider keeping Alvarez instead of McCann. But that is the only real toss up depending on if you see who else is being kept/let go prior to you posting your keepers.
Elsy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 80)

Postby luger » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:05 pm

Nice, thanks so much to both of you... Santana is who I drafted with my very first pick like 6 years ago in this keeper league so it's sad to see him go but it's certainly time. And, yeah, Alvarez is one that I was considering in there as well but he kinda seemed like the odd man out. But he has the potential to be so good that it could be good to hold onto him now. However, I might still be able to get him in the first or second round of the draft depending on how wise other owners are to him.
luger
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby MaudDib » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:21 pm

I wouldn't keep Strasburg. Give me either Santana or Lackey (for me Lackey). I would not want to put my team at a disadvantage before the draft by keep Strasburg. Lackey on the other hand pitched much better in the second half and wouldn't be surprised if we saw him come back to the old Lackey we saw with LAA.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 381)

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:23 pm

Your 4 hitters plus Alvarez. You can't keep SS with only 5 keepers.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby luger » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:37 pm

Ah, man, now I'm back to being stumped. Haha.

So, now Pedro's in the mix... Lackey's possibly in the mix... mixed reception on Strasburg... hmm.
luger
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby MaudDib » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:02 pm

HOOTIE wrote:Your 4 hitters plus Alvarez. You can't keep SS with only 5 keepers.

I didn't see Alvarez. So I am ok with this as well.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 381)

Postby luger » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:27 pm

Some of the keeper announcements have already trickled in and I see that some 2B are going to be available that may be better than Uggla (Kinsler, B. Phillips and possibly Weeks). Not sure if that should change my decision or not either. Still up in the air about what I'm going to do.

At this point, I suppose it's looking like:
A. Gonzalez
B. McCann
N. Cruz
P. Alvarez
???

With the guys on the bubble being: S. Strasburg, D. Uggla, J. Lackey, J. Santana

Just based on everyone's comments, the other guys seem to be out of the picture at this point.
luger
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby luger » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:00 pm

I'll be submitting my final keeper list by the end of the night... Anybody with some last second suggestions? :-)
luger
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions