What to do with Choo, Victorino, and draft picks? WHIR 100% - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

What to do with Choo, Victorino, and draft picks? WHIR 100%

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What to do with Choo, Victorino, and draft picks? WHIR 100%

Postby plapre3 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:48 pm

I've been soliciting the same advice on a couple of different trades on here for a while, and I think some people are confused by the keeper structure of the league. As such, I've changed the way that I asked for advice, instead focusing on the macro and not on individual trades. Please take a look at the options below and select which package you think I should have set for my keepers. You can also tweak the packages substituting in Jouhlys Chacin, Ricky Nolasco, Geovanny Soto, Travis Snider, Jordan Zimmermann, and/or Carlos Pena for draft picks.

Package 1: Prince, Kinsler, Hanley, Youkilis, Choo, Halladay, Lester, and 8th, 9th, and 10th round picks in the draft
Package 2: Prince, Kinsler, Hanley, Youkilis, Choo, Victorino, Halladay, Lester, 9th, and 10th round picks in the draft
Package 3: Prince, Kinsler, Hanley, Youkilis, Victorino, Sandoval, Halladay, Lester, Haren, and 10th round picks in the draft

----------------------------------------------------
6x6 weekly HtH 14 team roto keeper (bet. 5 and 10 keepers losing a draft pick for each after 5)

Offensive Categories:
BA, OPS, RBI, HR, SB and Runs Scored.

Pitching Categories:
W-L, S, ERA, K/IP, Quality Starts and WHIP
----------------------------------------------------

Thanks, all, in advance for your help. Please leave a link and I will respond.
plapre3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What to do with Choo, Victorino, and draft picks? WHIR 100%

Postby plapre3 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:27 pm

bump
plapre3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Elsy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:34 pm

Package 1: Prince, Kinsler, Hanley, Youkilis, Choo, Halladay, Lester, and Snider, 9th, and 10th round picks in the draft

I think with being able to play every day this year without the fear of being sent down Snider will start reaching for that potential that is there and work his way to being a solid 3-4-5 type of the order hitter.
Elsy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 43)

Postby MaudDib » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:25 pm

plapre3 wrote:Package 1: Prince, Kinsler, Hanley, Youkilis, Choo, Halladay, Lester, and 8th, 9th, and 10th round picks in the draft
Package 2: Prince, Kinsler, Hanley, Youkilis, Choo, Victorino, Halladay, Lester, 9th, and 10th round picks in the draft
Package 3: Prince, Kinsler, Hanley, Youkilis, Victorino, Sandoval, Halladay, Lester, Haren, and 10th round picks in the draft

Package 3 and add Snider as a 10th round pick.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby skmo2345 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:48 pm

Package 1: Prince, Kinsler, Hanley, Youkilis, Halladay, Lester, Choo, and 8th, 9th, and 10th round picks in the draft
Package 2: Prince, Kinsler, Hanley, Youkilis, Halladay, Lester, Choo, Victorino, 9th, and 10th round picks in the draft
Package 3: Prince, Kinsler, Hanley, Youkilis, Halladay, Lester, Victorino, Sandoval, Haren, and 10th round picks in the draft
Subs available: Jouhlys Chacin, Ricky Nolasco, Geovanny Soto, Travis Snider, Jordan Zimmermann, and/or Carlos Pena for draft picks.

Just restructured them to show the main differences easily. It's pretty tough to gauge value here, so I tried to think in terms of the possible number of players kept. I would also rather have one bird in hand than two in the bush that got away (aka, I would rather keep the sure thing than risk getting something less in a redraft). In a 14 team league, the number of keepers could range from 70-140 (5-10 per team, correct?) More specifically, since not all teams will keep the maximum allowed number of players, you could find a happy medium and say that most teams will keep 7 or 8 guys, which is 98-112 players off of the board. So I would try and keep as many players as possible under or around #110 overall.

Right off the bat I like packages two and three better than package one. You probably wouldn't get much better value than Victorino, Sandoval, or Haren with an 8th round pick (8x14=112 overall?). And I like all three for this year. I also don't think any of the other players available should begin the season as top 110 options. All of them could easily FINISH the year as a top 110 option, but won't necessarily START the year that way. I would target all of them in the draft.

So that leaves package two and three with the difference of Choo vs. Sandoval and Haren. And it's not that tough for me. I would much rather have Sandoval and Haren than just Choo. Haren will give you a solid K rate with similar ratios to years past and I think Sandoval could be a decent bounce-back candidate. Sandoval is definitely the closest candidate to the 110 overall threshold I mentioned earlier, but I think you should still keep him.

Hope that is helpful/accurate. Package 3 all the way.
Package 3: Prince, Kinsler, Hanley, Youkilis, Halladay, Lester, Victorino, Sandoval, Haren, and 10th round picks in the draft
skmo2345
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 20)

Postby plapre3 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:52 pm

Alright. So 1 vote for package 1, and two votes for package 2.

Anyone else? Also, thanks for the excellent analysis skmo... you're understanding of the league setup is spot on.
plapre3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions