100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Volquez Sleeper

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Volquez Sleeper

Postby skjelstrom » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:31 am

RotoTimes.com:

February 11, 2011
Edinson Volquez reportedly turned down a long-term contract extension from the Reds earlier this offseason, according to MLB.com.

Our View:Instead, he signed a one-year, $1.6 million deal. He's obviously banking on having a big 2011 and cashing in next offseason.

Apparently he thinks he can do it. What does everyone else think? We all know he has the K's but has BIG trouble with command. Can he be healthy and keep the ball under control? Volquez says yes! :-?
skjelstrom Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 100)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Volquez Sleeper

Postby Halo Homers » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:10 pm

A lot depends on improving control. His BB/9 rate was 5.0. He needs to lower that to have a true impact. He's a great source of Ks late. If you can get him without reaching too much, I'd take him.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 48)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:44 pm

He's really erratic but if he's looking for a big payday then the arm seems more important on the free agent market. Everyone thinks they can fix his control but you can't fix an 88 mph fastball.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby Halo Homers » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:53 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:He's really erratic but if he's looking for a big payday then the arm seems more important on the free agent market. Everyone thinks they can fix his control but you can't fix an 88 mph fastball.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Last year his K/9 was 9.6. Are you sure the fastball is only 88mph? Must have a heck of a breaking ball.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 48)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:00 pm

Halo Homers wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:He's really erratic but if he's looking for a big payday then the arm seems more important on the free agent market. Everyone thinks they can fix his control but you can't fix an 88 mph fastball.

Last year his K/9 was 9.6. Are you sure the fastball is only 88mph? Must have a heck of a breaking ball.

You misunderstood. I didn't say his fastball was 88 mph.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby koufax4me » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:32 pm

He has enough talent to win over 15 games. He is coming off TJ surgery so injury is a risk since complete recovery is not usually 100%. He threw well enough last year for me to take a chance on him.
koufax4me
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby kab21 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:20 am

koufax4me wrote:He has enough talent to win over 15 games. He is coming off TJ surgery so injury is a risk since complete recovery is not usually 100%. He threw well enough last year for me to take a chance on him.

Actually a lot of pitchers recover 100% from TJ. He's pitched enough to say that the surgery was successful. Now my concern is that a lot of pitchers that undergo TJ have bad mechanics. So he could potentially injure his arm again. But Volquez' #245 MDP is almost impossible to pass up especially in 12 team leagues where you can still find an avg pitcher on the waiver wire.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby West » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:02 am

kab21 wrote:
koufax4me wrote:He has enough talent to win over 15 games. He is coming off TJ surgery so injury is a risk since complete recovery is not usually 100%. He threw well enough last year for me to take a chance on him.

Actually a lot of pitchers recover 100% from TJ. He's pitched enough to say that the surgery was successful. Now my concern is that a lot of pitchers that undergo TJ have bad mechanics. So he could potentially injure his arm again. But Volquez' #245 MDP is almost impossible to pass up especially in 12 team leagues where you can still find an avg pitcher on the waiver wire.

I'd pass on Volquez at 245 and take Travis Wood. All day.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 85)

Postby koufax4me » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:58 am

Sorry, when I was looking up recovery rates on TJ surgery I guess I read the following wrong.

"Based on long-term studies of athletes over the years, the chances of a complete recovery after surgery are estimated at 85 to 90 percent. The process of rehabilitation to return to a level of playing equal to before the injury takes about a year for pitchers and about six months for position players." (from EOrthopod)

I missed the part about after "rehabilitation". I will do better next time. : )
koufax4me
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby kimchi_chigae » Mon May 30, 2011 4:28 pm

First start at Triple-A. 7.2IP 5H 2ER 2BB 5K.

Pretty encouraging with only two walks.

I was high on this guy because of the K rate and to be honest, I had not watched him pitch a whole lot in previous years. After watching a few of his starts this season, I got the feeling that he doesn't give a damn about what happens in a game. He pitches and if he gives up a homer, he gives up a homer. Maybe I haven't watched him enough.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers