Crawford & Bell for HanRam? - WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Crawford & Bell for HanRam? - WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Crawford & Bell for HanRam? - WHIR

Postby jbird669 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:12 am

I've just been offered this deal in my 12-team, 5x5 Roto Keeper League. We have a $260 in-season cap and the first year you keep a player, his salary increases $1, then doubles after that.

I would give up HanRam ($32 this year, $64 next year) and get Bell ($4) and Crawford ($32, $36 to keep next year). I've been targeting Crawford in 2011 as the team that had him wasn't going to keep him, but he was traded in the off-season and now might be. It's funny, the owner that offered the deal has been trying to get HamRam for 3 years now. This deal might actually do it.

I know that HanRam is a top-5 hitter, and the best of a scarce position. But my concern is lineup protection and I could conceivable get 3-4 years out of Crawford. Bell is a top-5 closer. Should I take it?
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Crawford & Bell for HanRam? - WHIR

Postby jbird669 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

Bell is $8, not $4.

And I will gladly help in return.
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Blaise28 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:57 pm

If you have a plan for replacing Ramirez at ss (a position of scarcity, IMO) in the draft, I'd pull the trigger on this one. Crawford is no downgrade in Boston's lineup and $64 is pricey.
Blaise28
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby MaudDib » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:00 pm

I like the deal. Crawford is a top 10 guy and will be cheaper next year and Bell is at a very nice price for a top tier closer. The only question is there going to be SS available in the auction? Either way I would do this trade.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby silverlionlb » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:37 pm

I guess I'm in the minority of disliking this deal for you.

True, you won't be able to keep Hanley next year at that price, but if you're looking to win this year, you just gotta keep him. Short stop is shallow this season. Depending on any keeper restrictions, I wouldn't be surprised to see other guys keep mid level SS's at good prices. What's left will be desired by everyone, so I think you'll have to pay more than you ordinarily would. With that in mind, Hanley is solid value at $32--the same price you'd be paying for Crawford. Not to mention that Crawford, despite the numbers he'll put up, is no cheap keeper at $36 next season. Bell sweetens the pot, I suppose, but closers rarely make or break a deal.

Rejected if it were me. :-t
silverlionlb
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jbird669 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:04 pm

silverlionlb, closers actually do make or break deals. They are WAAAAYYYY overvalued in my league. Every team has at least 2, if not 3 closers on their club at all times. When a new one comes out (Andrew Bailey comes to mind in Oak), people go nuts. Everyone bids in FAAB. They're like sharks to blood.
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby amarlls » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:30 pm

Ya I would do this deal, good trade for you

Please help
viewtopic.php?t=421768
amarlls
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:46 pm

I would accept the deal. Hanley is the best player, but your concerns about his lineup protection are valid. Crawford should return very similar value compared to Hanley, except in the OF. But you can keep him next year too, which is huge, as that pricetag for Hanley would be insane. As long as you can grab a decent SS, I would 100% take this!

viewtopic.php?t=421772
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Redmond_Square » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:59 pm

What SS are available in the draft? With SS being so damn shallowI'd pass and play Hanley this year.
Redmond_Square
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 58)

Postby silverlionlb » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:50 am

jbird669 wrote:silverlionlb, closers actually do make or break deals. They are WAAAAYYYY overvalued in my league. Every team has at least 2, if not 3 closers on their club at all times. When a new one comes out (Andrew Bailey comes to mind in Oak), people go nuts. Everyone bids in FAAB. They're like sharks to blood.

That's fine and all, but what SS will you be able to get, and how much will you have to pay for him? You'll likely be getting just as bad value at SS this season, and in the end you'd probably save more $ and gain more relative value by keeping Han and overbidding on a closer (rather than making the trade and overbidding on a SS). True, I'm not sure how your league bids, but that's how I see it shaking out this season.
silverlionlb
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions