Keeper Help... WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Keeper Help... WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper Help... WHIR

Postby steela2110 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:05 am

Simple question who should I keep Jose Reyes or Tommy Hanson? It's a 12 team league and every team keeps 5 players H2H format. 10 starting SP's in a weekly league, with normal offensive starters + CI, and MI. There are no penalties for keeping any player. I have already picked my other 4 keepers, but without telling you who they are please pick straight up Hanson vs. Reyes... Just want to get the common perception of both.

WHIR just leave the link!
steela2110
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper Help... WHIR

Postby ramble2 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:15 am

Much as you don't want to hear it, it's really a positional thing. Anticipate what others are going to do, and where the positional scarcity will be going into the draft, relative to what you're planning to keep.

I see Hanson as a top-20 SP, and Reyes as a top-5 SS. Given how many SP vs. SS teams typically carry, that's closer than it may sound.

That said, SP is ripe for the picking this year. I think you can put together a solid staff from the second tier of pitchers that may be slightly overlooked. So go Reyes, even if he's not quite what we all wanted him to be.

All advice welcome on my keeper question.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 66)

Postby steela2110 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:22 am

I see what you are saying ramble 2... My only concern is like you said Reyes may only be top 5 now at SS when the league will only draft roughly 12 SS's... Hanson is top 20 at SP, but each team is going to start 10 pichers (plus there is bench guys) so my guess is that roughly 145 pitchers will be selected.... You need a lot of pitching in the league because of the amount starter on a weekly basis... I am just not sure if a top 5SS is worth it...

My keepers are a 1B, and 3 other SP's.... I am contemplating loading up on SP's because typically the top 30 pitchers or so are already kept..

Anyone else?

WHIR
steela2110
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RunReyesRun » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:42 am

I would go with Reyes - he is pretty undervalued this year at a scarce position. There will be plenty of SP around you can snag who may get close to Hanson...same can't be said for Reyes
RunReyesRun
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:19 am

Reyes for me as well. With only 5 kept, having a premium SS is a plus while Hanson is easier to replace in the draft.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby fast dogs » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:23 am

I would keep Reyes over Hanson with 3 SP already in your 5 keepers. Was looking at a list of SP ranked #111-120, not pretty, but not awful. Including:Kazmir Happ Stauffer, Volstad, Porcello, Fister and Bergesen. Slowey, LeBlanc in the next 10.
I wouldn't go out of my way and pass on the consensus earlier pick; especially when you've already got your aces in place. You did say you started middle inf as well so yes 12 SS's, some teams could grab 2 of the top 12. Starting that many SP's is something to keep in mind every round, but I do think you need to have some top offensive options as well
If you said you had 4 hitters and wanted to take the "lower ranked" player as your 1st pitcher I could see that. But with 4 SP in 5 keepers seems like you'd struggle to compete offensively. Its all great if you can dominate in pitching, but if you have a subpar offense to go with it you usually don't have a chance to win
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 340)

Postby jbird669 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:54 am

Reyes at a scare position.

Help me? viewtopic.php?t=421753
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby MaudDib » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:48 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:Reyes for me as well. With only 5 kept, having a premium SS is a plus while Hanson is easier to replace in the draft.

Agreed. SS is thin and SP is as deep as it has been in years.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 466)

Postby Blaise28 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:53 pm

Everyone has this right with the consensus being Reyes. The only other consideration though is if your league allows trades prior to the draft. Maybe trade both for a top tier SP or even a top position player. Any team in your league have only 4 good keepers and maybe willing to deal?
Blaise28
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions