Deep Dynasty Auction Strategy & Values - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Deep Dynasty Auction Strategy & Values

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Deep Dynasty Auction Strategy & Values

Postby charris414 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:17 am

First: I've been a lurker here for a few years, but never really had a need to post until now.

I've joined a new dynasty league with the following settings:
6x6 with OPS, quality starts instead of wins and holds
15 Teams, $360 initial budget, 36 man rosters (26 starters, 13 hitters and 13 pitchers)
Can keep players year to year for $5 to $10 salary increases, or sign multi-year contracts for small increases ($1 to $4).

I've recalculated my player values, but I'm fiddling with my budget. In a league this deep, where nearly 75% of all major leaguers (and some minor leaguers) will be rostered, is it better to go with a "Stars and Scrubs" approach or a more balanced approach. The other factor to consider is that I can keep up to 20 players each year.

Anyone have some experience in leagues this deep? Auction isn't for another month, so I have plenty of time to plan.
charris414
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Deep Dynasty Auction Strategy & Values

Postby dleoboyd » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:27 am

I've play in a 20 team league with 30 man rosters for the last 8 years and I can tell you that the most important thing is an intricate knowledge of the player pool. These leagues are often won by rostering valuable players in the end game (i.e. the end of the draft or for $1) so be sure you've got a little extra budget there so you can spend $2 when most others can only spend $1.

I've have also found that most auctions go heavy at first (i.e. the stud players are overbid) so I while I would recommend bidding on the studs, driving up the prices, and rostering if you find a reasonable value - I would keep an eye on cashing in on top players who go after the top 25 -30 players are off the board.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Aristotle
dleoboyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby daweasle » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:14 am

definitely know who re the guys who are going to get 500 ABs

I know a guy like JJ hardy is not sexy. He's about a zero in the terms of upside. But just due to pure chances he will have better numbers than any scrub who only gets 300 ABs.

Now this is important to know because it can help you plan n the mid to late part of the auction/draft.

In any other league you can get a 500 AB guy in the last round - but in the 30 man league - you cannot do that.

I would recommend - (in the first ten rounds or so - get a few stud pitchers and one closer)

then in the middle rounds - ALWAYS go hitter - when in doubt - still go hitter. until every starting spot on your roster is filled with hitters.

then when all your hitters are filled - go after whatever random high K9 pitchers you can find. hopefully you'll get lucky with a few pitchers. and if not - at least your hitting numbers will be better than those other guys.
daweasle
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)

Postby steela2110 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:30 am

I honestly am a BIG proponent to the stars and duds type formula in baseball and football. I agree with one of the guys who already posted though in that you set your sights on a guy or 2 that is you favorite player towards the top of the talent pool.That doesn't automatically mean Pujols... Maybe is guys who you really like but will be significantly cheaper and you can get 3 of them (maybe a Verlander, Tommy Hanson, and ummmm Prince Fielder) instead of Pujols and CC Sabathia or something... Not sure if the math adds up but you get the point.

Then after I get my top guys I really try and bid up the guys who I want no part of, and wait for those intermediary and late deals that one of the posters already spoke to...

I wouldn't do the stars and duds thing... Not a good deal IMO.

Help with mine? simple question... viewtopic.php?t=421742
steela2110
College Coach
College Coach

Postby fast dogs » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:16 am

13 starting pitching spots? I'd be looking to fill alot of those with good middle relievers and protect the ERA n WHIP as opposed to taking 4th and 5th starters. Any reliever with any chance of closing at some point in the season. Pretty much anyone from SD's pen. Same for Braves. You might want to go for some of these players mid draft instead of towards the end.
In a league with this many starting positions the stars and $1 players isn't going to work as well. When most fantasy leagues are done drafting, you are going to have more than 200 spots to go. You want to have a little money left at the end so you can bid $2 & 3 rather than $1 like most teams will have
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 303)

Postby charris414 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:40 pm

Thanks for the help guys, I'll help where I can ...
A major detail that I forgot to mention is that we have seven SPs, and six RPs.

My initial budget includes max dollars to try and acquire 2 of 3 elite players at SS, 3B, and 2B; as well as a minimum of $2 for bench slots.
charris414
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions