1st Year Prospect Draft - 3rd Pick - WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

1st Year Prospect Draft - 3rd Pick - WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

1st Year Prospect Draft - 3rd Pick - WHIR

Postby Johnny Deuce » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:47 pm

Hi Folks

I'm in a first year keeper league and we are doing our prospect draft soon. Its a snake draft, eight rounds and I have the third pick.

The def'n of a prospect for us is;
They have less than 130 MLB AB and less than 50 MLB IP.

They have a MLB contract at the time of our draft, or have gone through our prospect draft with a contract.

So if you had the third pick, who would you go with.
Its really hard to guess what the guys with pick one and two will do....Harper, Trout.

If Dominic Brown is there I think I will pick him, even though he won't stay on my prospect roster for too long.

Any help would be much appreciated as this is my first prospect draft...EVER
Johnny Deuce Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 1st Year Prospect Draft - 3rd Pick - WHIR

Postby mblax10 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:48 pm

Brown is a fine choice. Montero, Teharen, Hellickson, Moustakas & Hosmer are a couple more to consider.

Arguably more important than your 1st pick is researching later picks and knowing the intricacies or your league. When does a player have to be elevated? How many prospects can you carry? Is there a time limit or do they stay in your farm untill the minimums are passed.
Last edited by mblax10 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
mblax10
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Johnny Deuce » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:15 pm

mblax10 wrote:Brown is a fine choice. Montero, Moustakas, Teharen, Hellickson, Moustakas & Hosmer are a couple more to consider.

Arguably more important than your 1st pick is researching later picks and knowing the intricacies or your league. When does a player have to be elevated? How many prospects can you carry? Is there a time limit or donthey stay in your farm untill the minimums are passed.

Thanks, I just picked Brown. Harper went first, then Trout.

Thanks for the advice - I'm looking at 4 different prospect rankings.
Johnny Deuce Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:16 am

In the early going I'd go for high minors hitting. Pitchers are just too unpredictable. This is coming from a guy whose top 2 prospect (Teheran and Turner) are pitchers.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Johnny Deuce » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:11 pm

Thanks, I was just wondering if I should focus more on hitters or pitchers, so that helps. After reading 5 different top prospects lists, I'm not sure what to think.

Here are my picks so far;

Domonic Brown
Kyle Drabek
Mannay Machado
Jonathan Singleton

My next pick is coming up soon, and I'm thinking of the following.....any suggestions would be great.

Matt Dominguez
Adeiny Hechavarria
Zach Britton
Jacob Turner
Nick Franklin

Here are all the prospects chosen so far;
Bryce Harper
Mike Trout
Dominic Brown
Jeremy Hellickson
Eric Hosmer
Mike Moustakas
Jesus Montero, C (NYY)
Aroldis Chapman, CIN
Desmond Jennings, TB
Julio Teheran ATL
Yonder Alonso CIN
Dustin Ackley - SEA
Craig Kimbrel, ATL
Wil Myers- KC
Freddie Freeman- ATL
Michael Pineda, P, Sea
Lonnie Chisenhall, 3B, CLE
Kyle Drabek, P, TOR
Brandon Belt, 1B/OF, SF
Jameson Taillon, P, PIT
Shelby Miller, P, STL
Matt Moore, P, TB
Manny Machado, SS, BAL
Jerry Sands, OF, LAD
Mike Minor, P, Atl
Brett Lawrie, 2B, TOR
Aaron Hicks, OF (MIN)
Chris Sale, RP, CHW
Martin Perez, SP, TEX
Casey Kelly RHP, SD
Manny Banuelos, LHP, NYY
Brett Jackson, OF, CHC
Hank Conger, C, LAA
Gary Sanchez, C (NYY)
Mike Montgomery, LHP, KC
J.P. Arencibia, C, Tor
Grant Green, SS, Oak
Jonathan Singleton, 1B/LF (PHI)
Johnny Deuce Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:36 pm

Here's what I think, you should still wait around and see what some more reputed guys (like hybrid) say.

Matt Dominguez-Mostly glove, I just wouldn't draft him with the other guys available. Supposedly has good raw power when drafted, not showing so far...

Adeiny Hechavarria-Don't know much about him

Zach Britton-My intuition says he's going to be good. But he has never struck out more batter than innings in a year which means he'll probably be a 6-7 k/9 guy in the majors at best and considering the fact that the Orioles is the mat of the AL East for the foreseeable future I can't see a ton of win either. I like the guy if the league is pretty deep and you can afford to have #3/4 starters who doesn't k on your rotation.

Jacob Turner-Less sure about Turner than Britton at this moment. Turner's ceiling is a bit higher IMO. Made it to A+ as a first year guy out of HS is impressive. K isn't there currently but with a well above average curve, a change that can be above average and a fastball that's at least average velocity I have faith that it will be there if the Tigers don't push him too quick. I think he was the top HS pitcher of the 2009 draft (if not, one of the top) so he won't be up for a while. But probably the biggest upside of anybody on here.

Edit: Turner was the 3rd HS arm drafted but received the highest signing bonus by a pretty good margin.

Nick Franklin-Who I'd probably draft out of this group. Won't stick at SS, it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that he'll move to 2B. Not too sure about average but the power/speed combo is real. Batter eye is decent, though AA will be a big test when he gets there. Does a .260 guy who hits 20 HR and steal 15 bases interest you? He could be that guy.

In summary
The guy that's going to help you the soonest: Britton/Dominguez

Rank by upside: Turner/Franklin/Britton/Dominguez

Rank by floor: Britton/Dominguez/Turner/Franklin
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby kab21 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:01 pm

Turner or Franklin would be my advice. Probably Turner since I prefer upside in prospect drafts unless I have a specific need. If this is a 12 team league I don't see much reason to draft guys that have the upside to be 10-15th best at his position or a MOR starter. At the same time it's difficult to draft guys like Sano which will be in your MiLB system for at least 4 years.

I might also consider Mesoraco with either of your next picks. If he's for real then he could be a nice fantasy catcher in Great American SmallPark.

I do like your draft so far. B+/A- imo
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby mblax10 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:45 pm

Johnny Deuce wrote:Here are my picks so far;

Domonic Brown
Kyle Drabek
Mannay Machado
Jonathan Singleton

My next pick is coming up soon, and I'm thinking of the following.....any suggestions would be great.

I always like using the majority of my picks on bats. Looks good so far. I'm not as high on Singleton as most.

Stay away from Dominguez & Hecheviaria. Both rankings are the result of their gloves. \

Looking quickly at guys taken; top hitters left: Miguel Angel Sano, Derrek Norris, Wilin Rosario, Franklin, Jason Kipnis
Top pitchers left: Britton, John Lamb, Turner, Jarrod Parker

The more minor league roster spots you have, the better it is to go after enormous ceiling young guys like Miguel Angel Sano.
mblax10
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Johnny Deuce » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:53 pm

Thanks a lot for the feedback. Its pretty impressive how much you guys know about these prospects.

Especially putting me onto Mesoraco, starting to do some reading on him. Would be good to have a catcher as one of my prospects.

The league I'm in is a 10 team league, but with a lot of positions, C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, CI, MI, OF, OF, OF, OF, OF, Util, nine pitchers, and five bench spots. After we finish this prospect draft we'll do the auction soon. We are allowed 8 keepers, year to year. This is my first keeper league, and I'm pretty excited for it.

I am wary of drafting Britton mostly because he is high on Keith Law's list but NOBODY on my team has drafted him yet.

Since I have Brown and Drabek, both of whom will be starting this year or next, I don't mind picking guys that are 2-3 years away.

Thanks again
Johnny Deuce Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:26 pm

Johnny Deuce wrote:Thanks a lot for the feedback. Its pretty impressive how much you guys know about these prospects.

Especially putting me onto Mesoraco, starting to do some reading on him. Would be good to have a catcher as one of my prospects.

The league I'm in is a 10 team league, but with a lot of positions, C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, CI, MI, OF, OF, OF, OF, OF, Util, nine pitchers, and five bench spots. After we finish this prospect draft we'll do the auction soon. We are allowed 8 keepers, year to year. This is my first keeper league, and I'm pretty excited for it.

I am wary of drafting Britton mostly because he is high on Keith Law's list but NOBODY on my team has drafted him yet.

Since I have Brown and Drabek, both of whom will be starting this year or next, I don't mind picking guys that are 2-3 years away.

Thanks again

Catching prospects are one of my least favorite things. The bust rate is way too high.

Remember JD Closser? George Kottaras? Chris Ianetta? Taylor Teagarden? Jarrod Saltlamacchia?

Exactly...
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball