Need a SS of the future - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Need a SS of the future

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Need a SS of the future

Postby mblax10 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:59 pm

cardinal1975 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:I don't feel that placing peak comps is all that crazy. They are best case senarios. It isn't anymore crazy than trying to predict stats for a player. What stats should I predict? Rookie year stats? 3 year averages? Peak stats? Career stats? Now, that would be hard.

I also would think you might want the comp to be close to the actual players skills

This line is the key. Don't try and fit round pegs in square holes. Most prospects don't have a true comp. If you say Hamilton could hit .300 with some walks, steal 70+ bases, ~10 HRs annually it's very clear what type of player you think he is.
mblax10
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kab21 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:24 pm

Salcedo's a complete boom or bust prospect that scouts have cooled on. And he's been given a very, very low chance of sticking at SS because of his speed. But he does have the defensive tools to stick at 3B according to most. But I haven't found any site that saw him play (or talked to scouts) that were excited about his bat last season. As far as I can tell Havok is using his scouting reports from when he was 16. The new ones aren't the same.

I need to wait until Hamilton hits in A ball. His rk ball stats weren't that impressive when you strip out the high BAPIP. He strikes out a lot and doesn't have a lot of power. I'm projecting the following line .265/.330/.350/.680 for him currently. He might steal a lot bases but he also probably won't be a MLB starter since he's not a plus defender.

Segura is a pretty solid prospect. Not a lot of upside but he could be an average regular although it might be at 2B.

Profar is another boom or bust prospect but at least right now scouts are really excited about him and his defense can take him to the majors even if his bat is so-so. And he'll steal a lot of bases.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 167)

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:40 pm

cardinal1975 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:I don't feel that placing peak comps is all that crazy. They are best case senarios. It isn't anymore crazy than trying to predict stats for a player. What stats should I predict? Rookie year stats? 3 year averages? Peak stats? Career stats? Now, that would be hard.

Or remembering Cal Ripken won 2 MVP's while hitting 30 hr's (one of the seasons) and over .300 (both years) seems a bit lofty for a shaky defensive shortstop that has not made it to Double A yet in Grant Green. We should remember Green played 3 years in college and is the same age last year that Ripken was the year he won his first MVP. Is that really a good comp for either player?

Again, these are max potential comps. If the original poster specified what type of numbers they were looking for, I would have done my best to post that. While I do concede that Salcedo doesn't have the speed of Ramirez, he still has similar potential with that bat if he reaches his peak. When John Sickels was asked who would be a good MLB comparison for Grant Green if he was able to max out his potential. His answer...Cal Ripken, Jr.
http://www.minorleagueball.com/2010/3/3 ... red-thread
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby kab21 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:31 am

Sickels isn't quite so gung-ho on Green this year.

1) Grant Green, SS, Grade B: Borderline B+. I respect his power, but I'm worried enough about the strike zone judgment and questions about his defense to kick his grade down a notch from last year

A SS prospect to watch this year is Matt Lipka. He's not top 100 yet but he has the tools to actually stick at SS and could move up lists fast if he plays well.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:18 am

kab21 wrote:Sickels isn't quite so gung-ho on Green this year.

1) Grant Green, SS, Grade B: Borderline B+. I respect his power, but I'm worried enough about the strike zone judgment and questions about his defense to kick his grade down a notch from last year

A SS prospect to watch this year is Matt Lipka. He's not top 100 yet but he has the tools to actually stick at SS and could move up lists fast if he plays well.

Lipka definitely has potential but I don't think we should discount Green. I know he's not a prototypical SS defensively but the A's has tried real hard to keep him there and his bat would be very good for that position.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kab21 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:28 am

PlayingWithFire wrote:
Lipka definitely has potential but I don't think we should discount Green. I know he's not a prototypical SS defensively but the A's has tried real hard to keep him there and his bat would be very good for that position.

Green's a top 5 SS prospect but his stock is down from the previous offseason. And I doubt he's getting Cal Ripken upside comps from anyone (even Sickels). Lipka's just a guy to keep a close eye on this season.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Minor League & College Baseball