Rickie Weeks' ADP is 40...Why Am I Not Keeping Him? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Rickie Weeks' ADP is 40...Why Am I Not Keeping Him?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rickie Weeks' ADP is 40...Why Am I Not Keeping Him?

Postby Remotethumb » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:21 pm

12 team mixed - 5 x 5 (AVG/R/HR/RBI/SB) (ERA/W/WHIP/SV/K) - salary cap $280 - 23 man roster
h2h weekly - we keep 4 players each year (we must keep 4)
start1 each position plus DH(any pos.), start 5 SP and 2 RP each week

I plan to keep Votto, Tulowitzki, and then ??? The consensus seems to be U. Jimenez and Tommy Hanson as my last 2 keepers.

But the other owners are keeping the following 2B: Cano, Utley, Pedroia, and Phillips. Probably Uggla and maybe even Kinsler will be kept.

So I figure I either need to covet Weeks even more (and keep him), or just throw him back and see what falls to me (considering it's a 12 team league and only about half the teams will need a 2B)

Other potential keepers and what they will cost me this year: (one other note, if I throw Weeks back into the pool my rights to only pay him $17 expire, I would have to re-acquire him at $24.

1B Votto ($29) - keep
1B Dunn ($21)
1B Tex ($34)
2B R. Weeks ($17)
SS Tulowitzki ($28) - keep
OF C. Rasmus ($13)
OF M. Bourn ($15)
SP U. Jimenez($23)
SP T. Hanson ($20)
SP Anibal Sanchez ($5)
SP Jaime Garcia ($9)
RP Drew Storen ($7)
Remotethumb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rickie Weeks' ADP is 40...Why Am I Not Keeping Him?

Postby KDOGG » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:35 pm

Thats tough. I personally feel like both Weeks and Jiminez are both in for alittle bit of a regression this year. I would most def keep Hanson. I think 17 seems reasonable to Weeks and I think I would keep him over Jiminez
KDOGG
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Remotethumb » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:54 pm

KDOGG wrote:Thats tough. I personally feel like both Weeks and Jiminez are both in for alittle bit of a regression this year. I would most def keep Hanson. I think 17 seems reasonable to Weeks and I think I would keep him over Jiminez

Thanks, I appreciate people with opinions and not being afraid to make concrete statements here. I rode Jiminez all year (like everyone else) He was a surprise. I will look like a fool when I throw him back and he is the next great thing. But I tend to agree with you... (and from years of trying to trust a pitcher to be a cornerstone of my team, only to be let down time and time again)...I don't think the Colorado pitcher can duplicate last year.
Remotethumb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:06 pm

I would keep Dunn and Weeks. The thing to worry about Weeks is his inability to stay healthy, but I like his value here. Ubaldo is a decent price, although one is unsure what to expect from him after last year. I'd say he's the middle of the road of the two extremes (3.60 ERA, 1.25 WHIP).
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Ernie.Whitt. » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:42 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:I would keep Dunn and Weeks. The thing to worry about Weeks is his inability to stay healthy, but I like his value here. Ubaldo is a decent price, although one is unsure what to expect from him after last year. I'd say he's the middle of the road of the two extremes (3.60 ERA, 1.25 WHIP).

i agree with this. At a similar salary, I'd keep Dunn over either of those pitchers, and having Weeks should give you a great starting point in your offense. The pitchers you mention just dont have the halladay like track record I'd want to keep them over Dunn. (at the same salary)
Please help with mine... (which is related)
viewtopic.php?t=421554
Ernie.Whitt.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 48)

Postby Remotethumb » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:53 pm

My thinking is starting to go like this: if I keep jimenez and hanson at $23 and $20, then I would imagine i would need BOTH to perform at their last year's level or better to make it worth the money (I say this b/c if I decide to keep 1 SP, then who do I choose between Jimenez and Hanson? I'd rather throw 'em both back and just wash my hands of that decision, ha ha)

I guess this does sound like a decent way to start a team, huh? Thanks for all the help, I think I may actually take a deep breath and thrwo 2 of the most promising young pitchers back into the pool! :-o

Votto
Tulowitzki
Adam Dunn
R. Weeks
Remotethumb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby corefour » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:59 pm

Keep Hanson. I think he's less likely than Ubaldo to regress significantly.
corefour
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jbird669 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:32 pm

I too would go with Dunn and Weeks. Dunn has lineup protection and he's in arguably the most hitter-friendly park in the AL.
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby Remotethumb » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:24 pm

Thanks for all the help! Any last minute thoughts? (I have to turn my keepers in by midnight tonight)

I guess I'm keeping

Votto -
Dunn (DH)
Rickie Weeks
Tulowitzki all 4 for $80 (Votto will be my 1 half-price player) of my $280 cap, plus I'm getting these projections while including both SS and 2B.

I hate to throw back Tommy Hanson and Ubaldo, but I like the idea of starting out with these 4 and their potential .287 AVG., 129 HRs, 391 RBIs. That averages out to .287/32/98 with decent extra SBs and RUNS. (projected numbers from Sporting News)
Remotethumb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions