Auction Strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Auction Strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Auction Strategy

Postby Brizee8 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:50 pm

I'm curious to hear some advice on how to approach an auction.

Do you prefer the stars and scrubs strategy? Or spreading out your money more?

Would you suggest spending the bulk of your money on a few star players such as Miguel Cabrera, Matt Holliday, Evan Longoria and Roy Halladay, and skimp at other spots? Or go for good players at every spot?
Brizee8
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Auction Strategy

Postby KDOGG » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:38 pm

Im not sure of stars and scrubs vs spreading the money out strategies. I know when I go into an auction I only have 1 concrete strategy in mind, and thats finding value. Other than that auctions are so unpredictable that I feel like you need to adjust on the fly alot. Hope that helps.
KDOGG
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Remotethumb » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:03 pm

I never had much luck with the stars and scrubs...I've played auction and slary leagues for a while (not claiming to be an expert here ha ha, just sayin')

As soon as I started to lay down concrete salary caps for each player, as soon as I started tier-ing my players (pre-auction), as soon as I took all my emotions out of the $$$...I started drafting better and started to win.

I tier every player. Then I "mini-tier" OFers and SPs. I assign a top dollar amount to these players, and I do not go above that price.

To solve the need to "Go Nuts" (and blow more $$$ than logic says, on a player I may have a "hunch" on), I budget that into my tiers.

For example, last year I budgeted $24 for Votto (I live in Chattanooga, he hit the ball hard here in the minors). It got to $24, $25, but I had given myself an extra $$$ "kitty," so I got to spend $29 and get him.

This method gives you both the 1. Rigid discipline, but also 2. Fun in taking a couple chances b/c that's what fantasy baseball is all about

Just my 2 cents. And no, I didn't know Votto was the next big thing, I just liked him in Chattanooga :-)
Remotethumb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 10)

Postby fast dogs » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:20 pm

again, we'd need to know more about your league setup; in small leagues with no cost to add free agents the stars and scrubs works just fine. In larger leagues where the is no talent left in the free agent pool or you have to bid on every pickup and only have so many moves or so much $ to spend its the worst strategy you can employ. How you approach an auction needs to be directly tied to your league size and setup
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 254)

Postby footballisbetter.com » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:34 pm

fast dogs wrote:again, we'd need to know more about your league setup; in small leagues with no cost to add free agents the stars and scrubs works just fine. In larger leagues where the is no talent left in the free agent pool or you have to bid on every pickup and only have so many moves or so much $ to spend its the worst strategy you can employ. How you approach an auction needs to be directly tied to your league size and setup

;-D Good advice here, and I agree completely.
footballisbetter.com
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 92)

Postby Brizee8 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:07 am

fast dogs wrote:again, we'd need to know more about your league setup; in small leagues with no cost to add free agents the stars and scrubs works just fine. In larger leagues where the is no talent left in the free agent pool or you have to bid on every pickup and only have so many moves or so much $ to spend its the worst strategy you can employ. How you approach an auction needs to be directly tied to your league size and setup

It's a standard 10 or 12 team league. There is no limit on free agents either in number of moves or in money. The money ends after the auction, and you're free to make any moves you want after that.

I do set a budget though for each player.
Brizee8
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions