Valuing Bench Players - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Valuing Bench Players

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Valuing Bench Players

Postby jbird669 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:38 pm

I'm in a 12 team 5x5 Roto league. At our auction, we not only acquire 20 players for our starting lineup (11 hitters, 9 pitchers), but we also draft 5 bench players.

I am very familar with assigning $ values to the top 240 starters that will be drafted. What is the best way to value the bench players?

I will gladly help in return.
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Valuing Bench Players

Postby MTUCache » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:01 pm

jbird669 wrote:I am very familar with assigning $ values to the top 240 starters that will be drafted. What is the best way to value the bench players?

For the most part, bench players in a standard-depth league (like yours) are going to get auctioned for less than $4. There will be some teams who draft guys for specific numbers that won't look at "starters" vs. "bench", and will pay a bit extra for a player like Rajai Davis or Carlos Pena (just looking to shore up a stat they're weak in), but for the most part you're going to see these guys being nominated and bought within two bids.

Last year in my auction league my "bench" players were Stephen Drew ($1), Max Scherzer ($2), Mike Adams ($1) and Luke Gregerson ($1)... obviously not enough money to impact the rest of my auction.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jbird669 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:17 pm

MTUCache wrote:
jbird669 wrote:I am very familar with assigning $ values to the top 240 starters that will be drafted. What is the best way to value the bench players?

For the most part, bench players in a standard-depth league (like yours) are going to get auctioned for less than $4. There will be some teams who draft guys for specific numbers that won't look at "starters" vs. "bench", and will pay a bit extra for a player like Rajai Davis or Carlos Pena (just looking to shore up a stat they're weak in), but for the most part you're going to see these guys being nominated and bought within two bids.

Last year in my auction league my "bench" players were Stephen Drew ($1), Max Scherzer ($2), Mike Adams ($1) and Luke Gregerson ($1)... obviously not enough money to impact the rest of my auction.

I do have to account for them as they will consume $5-$20 of my $260. So
let's say I predict I'll spend $10 on my bench players. Do I just value my starters with a cap of $250?
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MTUCache » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:44 pm

jbird669 wrote:I do have to account for them as they will consume $5-$20 of my $260. So
let's say I predict I'll spend $10 on my bench players. Do I just value my starters with a cap of $250?

I find that budgeting precise amounts for specific things tends to backfire on me... then again, I'm more of a stars-n-scrubs kinda guy. I'm flexible enough on my stars that I could go $5 either way of a certain price, and even more once some runs start, so budgeting precisely $10 (or $5, or whatever) for bench players would be kinda useless for me...

Maybe we just have different styles though. ;-)
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:01 pm

Traditionally, the reserve round that you're referring to is done as a draft, and no dollar values are assigned. If for some reason they're doing it as an auction, then it complicates things obviously, but there are other factors you need to take into account. For instance, if it's a weekly league then the bench players will have less value than if it's a daily league. GP/IP limits also come into play. In a daily league with 180 GP max, for instance, bench players aren't really bench players. Even with a 162 GP limit, your best bench OF will get close to full playing time between the OF and UT spots with injuries, off days, slumps, etc.

So basically, we need more info before any real advice can be given. Weekly vs daily, and if the latter, GP/IP limits.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 120)

Postby jbird669 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:47 pm

Skin Blue, we have a reserve draft after the auction that's exactly as you described. That is in addition to the auction of 25 players. We have a daily league with no GP, IP or any other limits or minimums.
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jbird669 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:02 am

Bump
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CBMGreatOne » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:35 pm

I think a big mistake that people make during the draft is considering anyone they draft to be a "bench" guy. Sure I'll come out of a draft knowing who some of my starters are going to be, but I have no idea which players I draft in the last 10 rounds or so will be staples in my everyday lineup, high upside reserves that I wait it out with, or waiver wire fodder to make room for the next big thing in free agency. There's no such thing as a bench player. Only a player who you can't find room in your lineup for on a given day.

If I own a player who is habitually left on my bench, he is there because I have some inkling that he may get hot and become a starter, he may be a guy I only like at home or only like vs RHP, or depending on league depth, vs LHP. I'm drafting for production from the beginning of the draft until the end of the draft. I'm not backing up every position. Why back up 2B with Reid Brignac when I can just pick up a random 2B who has been hot for 2 weeks when my Chase Utley gets hurt?

If you think you know your starters and your bench guys during or just after the draft, you are missing the point.

As such, I've never been in a draft that segregated starters from bench players in the way suggested by someone above. One guy might wait until the end of the draft to pick up a guy who is going to start for him at 3B, while I might be picking my 5th OF in the same round. There are no starters and bench guys, only guys I start every day, guys I start most days, and guys I start some times. As the year goes on, guys play their way from one category to another, and they play their way off of my roster altogether. For that matter, the FA pool is one big farm system for my team. Every day a new top 100 player is born and another top 100 player dies. Being able to recognize these changes and keep your roster current is the very art of fantasy sports.

As far as dollar values, I can't remember leaving an auction with fewer than 3 or 4 players that I got for 1 dollar, and sometimes I'll have as many as 7 or 8 players at the minimum. At the end of the draft there are bargains to be had and if you've still got enough money to spend 5 bucks on the last guy you draft, you probably missed your chance to spend it more effectively. I literally can't imagine leaving an auction draft with fewer than two $1 players.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:00 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:I think a big mistake that people make during the draft is considering anyone they draft to be a "bench" guy. Sure I'll come out of a draft knowing who some of my starters are going to be, but I have no idea which players I draft in the last 10 rounds or so will be staples in my everyday lineup, high upside reserves that I wait it out with, or waiver wire fodder to make room for the next big thing in free agency. There's no such thing as a bench player. Only a player who you can't find room in your lineup for on a given day.

If I own a player who is habitually left on my bench, he is there because I have some inkling that he may get hot and become a starter, he may be a guy I only like at home or only like vs RHP, or depending on league depth, vs LHP. I'm drafting for production from the beginning of the draft until the end of the draft. I'm not backing up every position. Why back up 2B with Reid Brignac when I can just pick up a random 2B who has been hot for 2 weeks when my Chase Utley gets hurt?

If you think you know your starters and your bench guys during or just after the draft, you are missing the point.

As such, I've never been in a draft that segregated starters from bench players in the way suggested by someone above. One guy might wait until the end of the draft to pick up a guy who is going to start for him at 3B, while I might be picking my 5th OF in the same round. There are no starters and bench guys, only guys I start every day, guys I start most days, and guys I start some times. As the year goes on, guys play their way from one category to another, and they play their way off of my roster altogether. For that matter, the FA pool is one big farm system for my team. Every day a new top 100 player is born and another top 100 player dies. Being able to recognize these changes and keep your roster current is the very art of fantasy sports.

As far as dollar values, I can't remember leaving an auction with fewer than 3 or 4 players that I got for 1 dollar, and sometimes I'll have as many as 7 or 8 players at the minimum. At the end of the draft there are bargains to be had and if you've still got enough money to spend 5 bucks on the last guy you draft, you probably missed your chance to spend it more effectively. I literally can't imagine leaving an auction draft with fewer than two $1 players.

This is a great point, and it's how I manage my teams as well. I have a known reason for keeping every player on my roster. And one reason I NEVER use is "depth". If a guy is on your team for "depth", there are two possibilities. The first (90+% of the time) is that he's borderline-replacement level in your league, and should be dropped so you can pick up a guy who (even if he's slightly worse) helps your team. The second possibility is that he's a great player that doesn't have a place to play in your lineup. In this case, you want to trade the guy and that's an acceptable reason for keeping a guy on your team.

Roster "depth" or "bench guys" are pointless. Now you might have extra guys, but they should be on your team either for platooning, or due to their "upside", or some other reason. Keeping Orlando Cabrera or Yuniesky Betancourt around as your backup SS just makes no sense and is utterly pointless.
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:36 pm

In a daily league with no GP or IP limits, then they're pretty much starters. Between all of the injuries, off-days, etc, you'll be able to go with the hot hand and work everybody in.

I don't know how you do player valuations, but maybe add 2.5 pitchers per team in the league to the player pool, and maybe 1.5 hitters. That'd add 4 players per team to the "starters" player pool, leaving one guy per team to be lumped into the reserves that aren't assigned value.

What distinguishes the reserves from bench players? Are the reserves just minor leaguers? Or can they be anybody, and just rotated in and out of the lineup weekly or something?
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 120)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers