expensive Dunn or more pitching? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

expensive Dunn or more pitching?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

expensive Dunn or more pitching?

Postby Ernie.Whitt. » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:08 pm

I've got Morneau and Morales already protected at 1B, and Hamels and Cain at SP.
Which of the following do you DROP? ($500 cap, 40 player teams, K/IP is a category for us).
There will be very few power hitters available on draft day but it's hard to drop a better value (my pitching)... then again, I have so many starters...

Adam Dunn $34
Shaun Marcum $1
Brandon Morrow $8
Clay Bucholz $7
Phil Hughes $9

Many thanks!
Ernie.Whitt.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 49)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: expensive Dunn or more pitching?

Postby chargerss24 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:11 pm

When deciding on choosing a bat or an arm, 90% of the time I would go with the bat, just depends on who my pitcher is. My reasoning is that the batter can get you more stats per week because they play more often versus your pitcher who will get you one start per week, two max on that rare two-start week.

Plus, if you feel that there will be little power to be had in the FA pool, the choice is easy here. I would take Dunn and his 50-homer potential at Cellular Field. :-L

Thanks for the help on mine!
C-Doumit, Salty
1B- Fielder
2B-Pedroia
SS-Reyes
3B-Longoria
CI- Morneau
MI- Kipnis
OF- Myers Jennings Heyward
U- Ellsbury, B. Upton, Bruce

SP-Price Fernandez Miller Wheeler, Kluber
RP-Grilli, Farquhar, Crow, Veras
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby kaiser » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:19 pm

I too would keep Dunn. I think I'd drop Buckoltz out of that mix.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 306)

Postby BUCCOFAN » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:02 am

I usually always justify going with Hitting over Pitching, but here with those awesome arms at great values, plus the fact you have Morneau (concussions are an issue?) and Morales I say you let Dunn go back in and try to draft him back, who knows maybe you get him back for less. $34 isn't anything to sneeze at.....Your pitchers are all way under priced and justify keeping.

Dump Dunn.
BUCCOFAN
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 278)

Postby hockeytownjoe » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:33 am

Thanks for the help on mine.

I'm never usually good at auction style decisions but looking at that, if cap space is an issue I would throw back Dunn. The four arms are at a good price.

BUT, I'm not sure on Marcum. He's a year removed from Tommy Johns surgery and did pitch a fair bit last year. I might throw him back and keep the 50 HR potential in Dunn.
hockeytownjoe
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:29 am

If you have a $500 cap, Dunn at $34 isn't too bad. It depends on your lineup and cash, however.

Your pitchers carry great prices, relative to Dunn. Buchholz might be the best value, but I think he regresses some and his K rate isn't exactly elite to support what he did last year. Morrow's K rate was brilliant and while he lowered his walks, I think walks will be an issue, as will health. Hughes' peripherals are decent, although his numbers will be tempered some in the AL East/New Yankee Stadium. Marcum for a flier is too good to pass up, but I wouldn't quite get carried away by the NL move. He doesn't throw hard enough to produce a stellar K rate, in spite of his solid control, and perhaps that's what will temper him from ever crossing the elite.

I would keep Dunn here, but again, it depends on your team's situation.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby MaudDib » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:38 am

Where would you play Dunn if you kept him?

I agree that Dunn isn't that bad in a $500 cap league.

I think I would drop Marcum. I just don't trust him to stay healthy all year.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 369)

Postby Ernie.Whitt. » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:09 am

MaudDib wrote:Where would you play Dunn if you kept him?

I agree that Dunn isn't that bad in a $500 cap league.

I think I would drop Marcum. I just don't trust him to stay healthy all year.

Dunn would play in the utility slot (if Morales and Morneau took my 1B and CR spots). We keep 15 players, and I tend to try for about 9 hitters and 6 pitchers. This year however, my pitchers are much better values, and if I drop Dunn in favour of Morrow (who is probably the pitcher I'd consider cutting), that leaves me with 8 pitchers and 7 hitters. I almost always focus on value first, and I think all my pitchers are a much better value than Dunn... but my hitting strength will be tough to build in the draft if I keep so many pitchers.
Cap space wise, I'm not in terrible shape either way... but would be in very good shape if I let Dunn go. Salary space is always at a premium (making value important) but so are elite players (with 50HR potential).
Ernie.Whitt.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Remotethumb » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:12 pm

I'm in the same boat. I'm debating Dunn ($21) vs. U. Jimenez ($23) and/or Tommy Hanson ($20). Our cap is $280, I'm keeping Votto and Tulowitzki already.

At first, I wasn't even considering Dunn (would be my DH). But man those HRs are tough to throw away.
Remotethumb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 10)

Postby Ernie.Whitt. » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:22 pm

Remotethumb wrote:I'm in the same boat. I'm debating Dunn ($21) vs. U. Jimenez ($23) and/or Tommy Hanson ($20). Our cap is $280, I'm keeping Votto and Tulowitzki already.

At first, I wasn't even considering Dunn (would be my DH). But man those HRs are tough to throw away.

Given what you've described as your situation, I wouldn't hesitate to keep Dunn. I'm just torn because (for me) Dunn would be $34 and Morrow would be $8. If the salaries were similar, I'd definitely keep Dunn. In your case, I like Hanson, but at a similar salary, I'd much prefer the extremely consistant and productive Dunn.
Ernie.Whitt.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions