LIMA Plan - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

LIMA Plan

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

LIMA Plan

Postby OldEnglishZ » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:47 pm

Does anyone use this? I just made a spreadsheet for LIMA AL-only starting pitchers to try and identify possible diamonds in the rough. If you want it let me know or give me your opinion on the plan, does it work?

Only play deep AL-only formats.
OldEnglishZ
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: LIMA Plan

Postby wingman3110 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:55 pm

out dated now....but you can give it a shot
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 122)

Postby MTUCache » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:25 pm

Finding good pitching is never out-dated... it's just that most of the good ones are being found by everybody. :p

So, I went back and looked at Schandler's original standards for LIMA pitchers: (K/BB>2.0, K/9>6.0, HR/9<1.0). Then I added my own stipulation that anything less than 150IP isn't worth looking at.

Using the rotochamps projections, I've got a list of 47 AL/NL pitchers, most of whom are going to be drafted WELL before the LIMA "value" kicks in or bought at auction for quite a bit more than he recommends.

Notable names that pop up that are outside the top-200 of the MDP thead above:
Jhoulys Chacin (NL)
Colby Lewis (AL)
Edwin Jackson (AL)
Derek Lowe (NL)
Randy Wells (NL)
Anibel Sanchez (NL)
Travis Wood (NL)
Jason Hammel (NL)
Tim Stauffer (NL)
Brian Matusz (AL)

All of these guys have obvious question marks, and none of them are projected for more than 12 Wins or an ERA under 3.50, so you're going to need to add at least a couple of aces early in the draft/auction. You'll notice that at least three of these guys are in the NL West, so are probably going to be targeted by most people already simply because of the "easy" innings they'll put in.

In a H2H league I could easily see grabbing a bunch of these guys and using the best matchups every week... in a roto league you're basically punting Wins with this strategy. If you can't get upwards of 70W out of your top-5 starters you're not going to be close to the rest of the league.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby OldEnglishZ » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:54 pm

A name that stands out to me on that list is Edwin Jackson, could be a very interesting play. The whole white sox staff is interesting, especially danks.

OldEnglishZ
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby OldEnglishZ » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:59 pm

A name that stands out to me on that list is Edwin Jackson, could be a very interesting play. The whole white sox staff is interesting, especially danks.

OldEnglishZ
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby wrveres » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:56 am

if you are going to go with a true LIMA, you better dominate hitting, all 5 cats, otherwise you'll find yourself in a nice battle for 3rd, with no upside.
Punting categories before the draft is never recommended. Instead, i'd use that list of LIMA pitchers as late round targets, nothing more.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:33 am

wrveres wrote:if you are going to go with a true LIMA, you better dominate hitting, all 5 cats, otherwise you'll find yourself in a nice battle for 3rd, with no upside.
Punting categories before the draft is never recommended. Instead, i'd use that list of LIMA pitchers as late round targets, nothing more.

This.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby jbird669 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:01 pm

bigh0rt, the punting in LIMA depends on your format. You shouldn't punt anything in a 5x5, though you can get away with top first-in-line guts who could close at some point.

Help me?

viewtopic.php?t=421584
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Return to Baseball Leftovers