1B ranking debates - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

1B ranking debates

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 1B ranking debates

Postby CBMGreatOne » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:16 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:The drop-off from Pujols to say Votto or Gonzalez this year is not nearly as great as the drop off from Hanley to Jeter or Hanley to Andrus

Not in % of total, but in quantity, I'd say it will be comparable, if not greater. I think in leagues of 12 or more teams, you're going to have weak/replacement level players somewhere in your lineup. Whether that player is in your UTIL spot or your SS spot doesn't make a huge difference. I'm all for paying for position scarcity, but there are two sides to that coin. You are still forfeiting something every time you take a player who has less production overall, regardless of position.

Beyond that, no single player at 1B is anything like as much of a sure thing as Pujols. With any other 1B, you have to keep in mind you're not necessarily drafting that player's ceiling, you might instead be drafting his floor.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AquaMan2342 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:24 pm

Disclaimer: I would take Pujols and never said otherwise. That being said, I think the argument to take Hanley holds more water this year than perhaps any other year because of the incredible depth of first base. Votto has become a monster and Gonzalez is in a park that suits his needs to have a huge year.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby kaiser » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:49 pm

Interesting to see that RazzBall has Miguel Cabrera as the #1 pick, followed by Pujols, Rameriez and Longoria.

Is it the beginning of the end of the "Epic Age of Albert?"

Last edited by kaiser on Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 306)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:51 pm

kaiser wrote:Interesting to see that RazzBall has Miguel Cabrera is the #1 pick, followed by Pujols, Rameriez and Longoria.
Is it the beginning of the end of the "Epic Age of Albert?"

You never know, but I think it's premature to take the suggestion all that seriously. Anything could happen though.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby hot4tx » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:08 pm

I definitely wouldn't fault anyone for taking Hanley over Pujols with the intention of getting Howard/Fielder in the 2/3 turn, however I'd still take Pujols.

1) With SBs becoming easier to get and HRs becoming harder to get over the last couple years I think that solidifies Pujols edge over Hanley.
2) The thought that if Howard or Fielder are likely still going to be there you could take Pujols/Howard and really beef up your HRs and R+RBI and then get your speed in the middle rounds or later these days makes that a better option IMO than Hanley/Howard.
3) Even though Howard and Fielder are dropping you still aren't any better than 50% chance one will be there at the end of round 2. Then what do you do? Take Ryan Zimerman? A pitcher? Reach for Youk as a 1B or for Choo or Kemp for your #1 OF?

IMO passing up on Pujols with the #1 pick is still a risky proposition and even if the draft works out the best for you and you get a big 1B still, it's debatable if that's better than if you had taken Pujols #1 anyway.

Now I am willing to play that game sitting at pick #5. I'd take Longoria or Tulo over Votto hoping that Teix or Howard/Fielder are there for me in the second round. I like Votto, but I lump him, Teix, Howard, Fielder and Gonzo so close right now I'd rather get a top SS or 3B than have my pick of that group.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby kab21 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:32 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:Disclaimer: I would take Pujols and never said otherwise. That being said, I think the argument to take Hanley holds more water this year than perhaps any other year because of the incredible depth of first base. Votto has become a monster and Gonzalez is in a park that suits his needs to have a huge year.

The problem with the depth at 1B is that all of these guys are still going early. MCab and Votto are first rd picks. AGonz and Tex will be taken at the 1st/2nd turn and Fielder/Howard might not make it until the end of the 2nd. You can still get Youk (early 3rd), Morneau, Dunn or Morales but you still have to use a high pick on them. So imo playing this I can still get an elite 1Bman game because of the depth is very risky.

And as usual I think most people would prefer to be picking near the bottom of the 1st than at the top of the 1st so they can get two really good hitters. But if you get the 1st pick then you get the first pick.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 162)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers