1B ranking debates - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

1B ranking debates

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 1B ranking debates

Postby kab21 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:37 am

I would rather have Pujols/Fielder than Hanley/Fielder.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 166)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AquaMan2342 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:08 pm

kab21 wrote:I would rather have Pujols/Fielder than Hanley/Fielder.

Makes sense, but to fill the SS slot with the player who is easily the best at that position is a valuable commodity.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby kab21 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:11 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:

Makes sense, but to fill the SS slot with the player who is easily the best at that position is a valuable commodity.

Are you drafting Mauer in the 1st rd also?
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 166)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:13 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:I'm not going to answer all the questions, but I would say that given the fact Howard and Fielder seem to be falling in this year's drafts, I can see where some might take Hanley #1 overall and then pick up a good first baseman around the 2/3 turn.

We've rehashed this over and over again, but say you take Pujols first. Hanley and Tulo will undoubtedly be gone and unless you are a Reyes believer, you're going to be left with a less than enticing option at SS AND if you do draft Reyes you'll likely have to overpay for him around the 2/3 turn.

Normally I'd say Pujols all the way, but some guys are slipping through the cracks a bit. I'd much rather have a Hanley/Prince or Hanley/Howard combo than Pujols/Reyes.

yeah i took Pujols at 1.01 in the holics mock along with Reyes at 3.01...if i had to do it again i'd still take Pujols #1 but i'd probably wait on SS and look for SB somewhere else along the way

you definately make an intriguing argument though
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby AquaMan2342 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:17 pm

kab21 wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:

Are you drafting Mauer in the 1st rd also?

No, but Hanley has shown a ton more consistency than Mauer has and doesn't come with the injury risk. Not to mention catcher is legitimately deeper than SS this year.

Like I said, I am only looking at it differently this year because guys like Howard and Fielder have been falling. If this was last year and those guys were going where they usually go, I'd take Pujols.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AquaMan2342 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:18 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:I'm not going to answer all the questions, but I would say that given the fact Howard and Fielder seem to be falling in this year's drafts, I can see where some might take Hanley #1 overall and then pick up a good first baseman around the 2/3 turn.

We've rehashed this over and over again, but say you take Pujols first. Hanley and Tulo will undoubtedly be gone and unless you are a Reyes believer, you're going to be left with a less than enticing option at SS AND if you do draft Reyes you'll likely have to overpay for him around the 2/3 turn.

Normally I'd say Pujols all the way, but some guys are slipping through the cracks a bit. I'd much rather have a Hanley/Prince or Hanley/Howard combo than Pujols/Reyes.

yeah i took Pujols at 1.01 in the holics mock along with Reyes at 3.01...if i had to do it again i'd still take Pujols #1 but i'd probably wait on SS and look for SB somewhere else along the way

you definately make an intriguing argument though

I meant to say no offense to Dan because I know you have Pujols/Reyes :-b
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Fenway Punk » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:39 pm

I would say that this logic isn't looking at the "big picture." Who wouldn't rather have Hanley/Howard vs. Pujols/Reyes?... but that's just 2 guys out of a roster that holds 9-10. When you play the "scarcity" game, you're paying for a name instead of numbers. Pick the best stats possible, round by round, and it won't make a shred of difference if you end up with an Orlando Cabrera type at SS. Taking Hanley at #1 overall puts you immediately behind in overall stats. It's best stats possible, not best players possible at "thin" positions.
Fenway Punk
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:52 pm

There's no way you take the best stats available with every pick with no consideration to position. That's ridiculous. I'd take Pujols first and let the rest of the draft sort itself out, but Aqua has a good point and people are acting like taking the (near)consensus No. 2 overall guy at No. 1 is some crazy plan that will derail a whole draft.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CBMGreatOne » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:10 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:There's no way you take the best stats available with every pick with no consideration to position. That's ridiculous. I'd take Pujols first and let the rest of the draft sort itself out, but Aqua has a good point and people are acting like taking the (near)consensus No. 2 overall guy at No. 1 is some crazy plan that will derail a whole draft.

Of course it won't but I still couldn't imagine taking someone other than Pujols at #1. Some people have different styles of building a team, but I don't see how passing on the value that Pujols presents at #1 can possibly be fully recouped with any series of subsequent picks. I'm not a Reyes guy either. Like someone else said, I'll take Pujols/Howard over Pujols/Reyes. Not to say you can't build a championship team with Hanley at #1, just that Pujols at #1 is a no brainer and passing on that value is a net negative however you slice it. Of course anything can happen, Pujols could get hurt, Hanley could go 40/40, Lance Berkman could hit 35 HRs and be this year's Paul Konerko, rewarding somebody who passed on all the top 1Bs. Just saying that at this moment, with everything we know, Pujols is an obvious pick.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:12 pm

The drop-off from Pujols to say Votto or Gonzalez this year is not nearly as great as the drop off from Hanley to Jeter or Hanley to Andrus
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers