1B ranking debates - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

1B ranking debates

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

1B ranking debates

Postby kab21 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:41 am

Continuing the positional debates.

Is Pujols without a doubt number 1 overall?
How high do you take Votto?
Will Adrian be the 2nd best 1Bman now that he's in Boston or is the hype out of control?
Does Tex rebound to a monster season that many expected last year in the Yankee lineup?
Does Morneau's concussion injury still scare you?
Do you want to draft Konerko this early?
Do you believe in Butler?
Is Dunn a good value?
Which young sleeper do you like? Davis, Smoak, Freeman, LaPorta, Kila, Moreland, Belt or other?
Berkman seems to have some fans in the cafe. How much higher do you take him?

1 Albert Pujols STL 1.00
2 Miguel Cabrera DET 2.13
3 Joey Votto CIN 2.88
4 Mark Teixeira NYY 4.75
5 Adrian Gonzalez BOS 4.75
6 Prince Fielder MIL 6.00
7 Ryan Howard PHI 6.50
8 Kevin Youkilis BOS 8.50
9 Justin Morneau MIN 8.75
10 Kendry Morales LAA 10.25
11 Adam Dunn CWS 10.75
12 Paul Konerko CWS 12.38
13 Billy Butler KAN 13.00
14 Aubrey Huff SF 15.50
15 Carlos Lee HOU 17.63
16 Derrek Lee BAL 18.25
17 Carlos Pena CHC 19.63
18 Adam LaRoche WAS 20.75
19 Michael Cuddyer MIN 20.75
20 Lance Berkman STL 21.00
21 James Loney LAD 21.13
22 Ike Davis NYM 24.13
23 Garrett Jones PIT 24.25
24 Gaby Sanchez FLA 24.63
25 Justin Smoak SEA 29.25
26 Ty Wigginton COL 29.38
27 Freddie Freeman ATL 31.63
28 Matt LaPorta CLE 32.25
29 Lyle Overbay PIT 32.25
30 Kila Ka’aihue KAN 32.38

I removed Posey and Napoli from the rankings since both hold significantly more value at C and will rarely be used at 1B.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 1B ranking debates

Postby kaiser » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:51 am

kab21 wrote:Continuing the positional debates.

Is Pujols without a doubt number 1 overall? I think some would argue Miguel Cabrera, because of Pujols' elbow. But I'd still take Big Al #1.
How high do you take Votto? No later than very early 2nd round. 12th or 13th overall, at the latest.
Will Adrian be the 2nd best 1Bman now that he's in Boston or is the hype out of control? I believe some of the hype, but I still go with Cabrera.
Does Tex rebound to a monster season that many expected last year in the Yankee lineup? No. He's solid, but I just don't rate him as strong as some.
Does Morneau's concussion injury still scare you? Yes. I'm staying away.
Do you want to draft Konerko this early? Yes. He was a monster last year, and I think he is ranked in the right spot here.
Do you believe in Butler? No. We've been talking about what he could do for at least two preseasons now.
Is Dunn a good value? Yes.
Which young sleeper do you like? Davis, Smoak, Freeman, LaPorta, Kila, Moreland, Belt or other? I'm partial to Freeman, but I'm a Braves fan, so it may be wishful thinking.
Berkman seems to have some fans in the cafe. How much higher do you take him? Not much. I'd put him at 18, above LaRoche, but that's it.

kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 306)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:14 pm

Yep

If you want him it better be the first round.

Will Adrian be the 2nd best 1Bman now that he's in Boston or is the hype out of control?
The shoulder still worries me some.

Does Tex rebound to a monster season that many expected last year in the Yankee lineup?
Hard to say monster but I'd take Tex on any of my teams.

Not really but seeing him on the field during Spring Training would help.

No, no, no, no.

Yes, I believe he is pretty much what we've seen. 15-20 HR with a good BA.

Is Dunn a good value?
Yes.

Which young sleeper do you like? Davis, Smoak, Freeman, LaPorta, Kila, Moreland, Belt or other?
I like Freeman but he might be a Butler clone. I'd like to see more power. After that I'd take Smoak or Belt.

I think he is liked because you can get him really late.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby MaudDib » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:28 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Is Pujols without a doubt number 1 overall?
Yep

If you want him it better be the first round.

The shoulder still worries me some.

Hard to say monster but I'd take Tex on any of my teams.

Not really but seeing him on the field during Spring Training would help.

No, no, no, no.

Yes, I believe he is pretty much what we've seen. 15-20 HR with a good BA.

Is Dunn a good value?
Yes.

I like Freeman but he might be a Butler clone. I'd like to see more power. After that I'd take Smoak or Belt.

I think he is liked because you can get him really late.

;-D Can't really argue against any of this. Personally I like Smoak more than the other young sleepers but hard to say how he will do in Seattle. Belt probably has the most power.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby MasterX1918 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:17 am

I think Ike Davis has proven himself the most reliable out of the bunch, he played really well for the Mets last year.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:13 am

Any other pick at #1 would be a big mistake. What more would he have to do to earn the spot?

Votto becomes a viable option at #5 overall- along with Braun and Crawford. Hanley and Tulo are better because they play a razor thin position and have been top 5 contributors on a per game basis for 2 or more years each. I'm not considering a Wright or Longoria at #5 overall because their numbers just aren't that good. In all but the shallowest of leagues, teams are going to have weaknesses. I'm not paying for a 3B who wouldn't be among the top 7 1B with a top 5 pick. Position scarcity is a consideration, but the first hitter I take is going to be someone with a chance at a better line than .280 30/100, which is about the best you could expect from either guy.

Aside from Pujols, Adrian has the most upside of any other 1B. While the injury issue worries me a little, the upside is absolutely sky high. If healthy, he could easily do what Miggy did last year. He's a top 10 pick, and- like Votto, I'm probably taking him ahead of any 3B.

I'm beginning to tire of Tex's abysmal first halves in recent memory. 1B is deep so he's kicked to the tail end of the overall top 20 players. I still like him mind you, but I'm not expecting significantly different numbers from a year ago. Votto and Gonzo are better picks.

Not as badly as his relatively pedestrian (compared to the elite 1Bs) '08 and '09. I don't think there's any question he's not going to hit .340 again, but he is still a good pick in round 4/5. I would feel relatively comfortable with Morneau as my starting 1B, but I would be one of the first guys to take a backup 1B and make sure I get a solid one in case he misses time.

If you pay for anything resembling last year's Konerko, you deserve to lose, plain and simple.

I'd rather have him than Konerko, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with him as my best 1B, for obvious reasons. I'm actually targeting him in round 7 or 8 as a UTIL/CI

Is Dunn a good value?
I've never been a Dunn guy so a couple of years of a reasonably palatable, but still bad average aren't going to change that. Sure he'll probably hit 40 HRs, but so could Carlos Pena. Either guy is most likely going to kill your batting average, but Pena is going much later. At least with Pena, if he isn't hitting, I won't feel the least bit guilty about letting him ride the pine. All in all, I'd say Dunn is appropriately valued, but I'm not comfortable taking a sub .250 career hitter as a cornerstone of my team.

Ike Davis. I need power from my 1B and he is the only guy on that list with an MLB track record of relatively legit power. After that I'll take Moreland in the last round. He's got as much upside as the rest of them. From what I've heard about Freeman and Belt, they're not ready to do it in 2011, but they'll be firmly on my radar for next year.

I'm a Berkman guy this year. His recent struggles have been attributable to injury and he's a disciplined hitter, with power, in a potent lineup, where he'll probably hit near the top. I don't see any reason he can't produce the kind of season that Jim Edmonds turned in late in his career. I'm taking him late, of course, but I think he's a very viable fantasy zombie. He ain't dead yet. Maybe this year's Paul Konerko?
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:53 am

Yes.

As low as 6th pick. Pujols/Hanley/Miggy are top 3 locks. I'd probably give the nod to Longoria and Tulowitzki because of their position over Votto.

Possibly. The shoulder is a concern and some are perhaps overlooking the possibility of an adjustment period to AL pitching. Nonetheless, A-Gon is a top 3 1B with good reason.

He should safely rebound to his usual. Beyond that, I wouldn't count on it, but Tex is certainly in the prime situation to do so. Still a relatively safe bet in the late 1st/early 2nd round.

For the time being, no.

Early, as in 4th/5th/6th round? No.

Yes, although I think it's easy to overvalue him. A relatively safe bet for 20 HR, .310 BA, but the R/RBI totals will likely be tempered in KC.

Is Dunn a good value?
Yes, good situation to post 100 R/RBI to go with his usual 40 HR, which will be enough to stomach a sub-par average. A .260 average or so is a bonus with Dunn if he gets there.

Ike Davis was a useful CI pickup for me in one of my leagues last year. More than decent power in his first big league season.

He's an endgame pick, for sure.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby wrveres » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:45 am

clealry

1st round, no? its not like you have control over these things.

Adrian has only begun to shine. last chance to buy low.

Yes. I like Tex this year. a lot.

wont touch the guy.

No.

No

Is Dunn a good value?
Great Value.

LaPorta and Kila.

Let him sleep. He's dual position elig will let him start in roughly half your starting slots on any given day. I don't think he is done. Quite the contrary. I bet his motivation is at an all time high.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby kab21 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:11 am

Replying to my own questions.

kab21 wrote:
Is Pujols without a doubt number 1 overall? - Yes, that's all.

How high do you take Votto? - definite 1st rd'er

Will Adrian be the 2nd best 1Bman now that he's in Boston or is the hype out of control? - it's going to be close but I think the hype is a little overblown esp on the HR expectations

Does Tex rebound to a monster season that many expected last year in the Yankee lineup? - he rebounds to his typical .290, 35 HR, 220 R+RBI season

Does Morneau's concussion injury still scare you? - as a Twin's fan I hope he comes back but I'm not drafting him

Do you want to draft Konerko this early? - no

Do you believe in Butler? - good player but I'm not drafting a 1B that is only going to hit 15-20 HR's this early. And I don't think he'll explode for a lot of HR's given his GB and tendency to hit to the middle of the field (the fences are farther).

Is Dunn a good value? - I never liked Dunn before but I'm drafting him here

Which young sleeper do you like? Davis, Smoak, Freeman, LaPorta, Kila, Moreland, Belt or other? - some good late rd picks here. I think I'll take Smoak then Freeman then Davis. Yes many will disagree with Davis but I'm not the biggest fan.

Berkman seems to have some fans in the cafe. How much higher do you take him? - I think I would move him up as far as Huff (but keep him behind Pena). But I still wouldn't take him until the 15th rd or so.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:31 am

I'm not going to answer all the questions, but I would say that given the fact Howard and Fielder seem to be falling in this year's drafts, I can see where some might take Hanley #1 overall and then pick up a good first baseman around the 2/3 turn.

We've rehashed this over and over again, but say you take Pujols first. Hanley and Tulo will undoubtedly be gone and unless you are a Reyes believer, you're going to be left with a less than enticing option at SS AND if you do draft Reyes you'll likely have to overpay for him around the 2/3 turn.

Normally I'd say Pujols all the way, but some guys are slipping through the cracks a bit. I'd much rather have a Hanley/Prince or Hanley/Howard combo than Pujols/Reyes.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers