Brett Anderson in 2011 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brett Anderson in 2011

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Brett Anderson in 2011

Postby CBMGreatOne » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:04 am

Still taking him after the likes of Daniel Hudson, Wandy Rodriguez, and Brandon Morrow, but he is intriguing right around the Jonathan Sanchez, Tim Hudson, Madison Bumgarner range.

What about Anderson vs Hellickson? With the health risks some of you are raising, I'm suddenly thinking Hellickson.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby OldEnglishZ » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:53 am

CBMGreatOne wrote:Still taking him after the likes of Daniel Hudson, Wandy Rodriguez, and Brandon Morrow, but he is intriguing right around the Jonathan Sanchez, Tim Hudson, Madison Bumgarner range.

What about Anderson vs Hellickson? With the health risks some of you are raising, I'm suddenly thinking Hellickson.

I would go Hellickson since I am drafting dynasty, but for redraft I would take a chance on Anderson over Hellickson right now

Only play deep AL-only formats.
OldEnglishZ
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby dannahann » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:12 pm

OldEnglishZ wrote:
CBMGreatOne wrote:Still taking him after the likes of Daniel Hudson, Wandy Rodriguez, and Brandon Morrow, but he is intriguing right around the Jonathan Sanchez, Tim Hudson, Madison Bumgarner range.

I would go Hellickson since I am drafting dynasty, but for redraft I would take a chance on Anderson over Hellickson right now

I'm assuming you prefer Hellickson because of BA's forearm thing or maybe their team construction? Usually the younger player gets more love in a dynasty situation and BA is about a year younger than JH.
61*
70**73**762***
MVP****NL11,AL07,AL05,NL04,ALNL03,ALNL02,NL01,ALNL00,AL99,ALNL98,ALNL96 RIP Cammi
Cmon Bud, NOW is the time to sack up and force feed an Olympic style drug program down Fehr's fat throat. Save OUR game from these blatant cheaters!
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Postby OldEnglishZ » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:36 pm

I'd rather have Anderson this year because of proven experience. Hellickson got time last year, but it was limited. I'd rather have Anderson's stuff and experience for one year in a redraft. Plus long-term Anderson's arm does scare me. Redrafts dont have to worry about that as much as dynastys which is why I'd be going Hellickson in dynasty.

OldEnglishZ
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby OldEnglishZ » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:18 pm

I did some LIMA strategy calculations (not enough on Hellickson) but Brett Anderson was 1 of 21 AL-only pitcher to qualify.

LIMA Qualifications
K/BB>2
K/9>6
HR/9<1=1

Brett Anderson 3.41/ 6.01/ 0.48

He has the tools, but it all depends on how you feel about his ability to stay healthy.

OldEnglishZ
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:02 pm

Not to say that what Anderson has done after basically being thrown to the wolves with no experience isn't impressive, but the numbers Jeremy Hellickson has put up make him out to have a higher ceiling. And as we saw last year, he's not starting out on the ground floor, either. He's absolutely dominated AA and AAA with a K/9 near 10 while keeping walks and homers to a minimum, in a generous sample size. I'd say there's quite a good chance he outperforms Anderson this season, even if both stay healthy. Anderson just doesn't have the Ks. There's more risk with Hellickson, but as far as I can see, much more upside.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 120)

Postby kab21 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:04 am

Skin Blues wrote:Anderson just doesn't have the Ks. There's more risk with Hellickson, but as far as I can see, much more upside.

A lot of people are focusing on Anderson's lack of K's which is true last year when he was injured. But he had a MiLB K/9 of 9.5 and 7.70 during his rookie season.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:40 pm

He only had 31 innings above a-ball before he hit the majors, all in AA, so not much to go off of there. He's been good for the As but I still don't see much potential for Ks. Maybe he was injured and that's the reason, but I like to see results before I come to conclusions.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 120)

Postby Element » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:31 pm

Skin Blues wrote:He only had 31 innings above a-ball before he hit the majors, all in AA, so not much to go off of there. He's been good for the As but I still don't see much potential for Ks. Maybe he was injured and that's the reason, but I like to see results before I come to conclusions.

Watch him break off Mr Snappy a few times and you might rethink that. There were a few games last season where he wasn't quite right where he did not post many K's. If he's healthy, I see no reason why a 7.25 K/9 isn't attainable with the ability for much more.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 748)

Postby dannahann » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:53 pm

Skin Blues wrote:He only had 31 innings above a-ball before he hit the majors, all in AA, so not much to go off of there. He's been good for the As but I still don't see much potential for Ks. Maybe he was injured and that's the reason, but I like to see results before I come to conclusions.

He threw 175 innings in his MLB rookie season and his K rate was 7.7/nine. Maybe it isn't dominant but not too shabby vs MLB bats at an age most pitchers are still facing A ball bats.
61*
70**73**762***
MVP****NL11,AL07,AL05,NL04,ALNL03,ALNL02,NL01,ALNL00,AL99,ALNL98,ALNL96 RIP Cammi
Cmon Bud, NOW is the time to sack up and force feed an Olympic style drug program down Fehr's fat throat. Save OUR game from these blatant cheaters!
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers