Catcher ranking debate - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Catcher ranking debate

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Catcher ranking debate

Postby skjelstrom » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:55 pm

I won't be looking at any of the top 4 or Napoli. I think Buster is being overrated and I would never touch a catcher like Mauer, Martinez, or McCann early early. Napoli is going to be overrated based on his new situation.

For some reason I think my league will be a little slow on Santana due to injury and essentially being a rookie and will drop a few spots so I might consider him. Same with Montero. People might also be sour on Weiters, but his potential is still there so he might be a good grab. I think it all depends on which of Santana, Montero, or Weiters will fall below their ranking a good bit is who I will draft.

My late sleeper is Iannetta AGAIN this year. He finally gets a chance to prove himself and was given the money to say he is going to be given a good leash. Although I thought the same thing last year.... But I still believe he has some power and can do well in Coors.
skjelstrom Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 103)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MTUCache » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:38 pm

skjelstrom wrote:For some reason I think my league will be a little slow on Santana due to injury and essentially being a rookie and will drop a few spots so I might consider him. Same with Montero. People might also be sour on Weiters, but his potential is still there so he might be a good grab. I think it all depends on which of Santana, Montero, or Weiters will fall below their ranking a good bit is who I will draft.

QFT. This seems the be the pattern in all three of the mocks I've done so far this season. Auctions will be a completely different story, simply because there will likely still be plenty of money on the board when they get nominated, but in standard drafts these guys are falling WAY down the board compared to the top 4.

A few days ago I did a 10-team MDC draft (with 2xC no less):
20: Mauer
29: McCann
32: VMart
49: Posey
100: Soto
104: Napoli
131: Santana
133: Montero
142: Wieters
All of them went within a round or so of their default-rankings... so obviously nobody was going digging for any of them until they saw their name come up in the queue.

Unless Yahoo!/ESPN moves Santana/Montero/Wieters up in their rankings at least to the Soto/Napoli range, I think they're going to be absolute steals.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Toomuchnv » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:04 pm

When would you draft the top 4 in the wcofb format(14 team, start 2-C leagues)?
Toomuchnv
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby MasterX1918 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:41 pm

I'm all about Victor Martinez this season. He should get 600+ plate appearances (if he can stay healthy) and since he'll be spending most of his time DHing that shouldn't be an issue. He'll probably be hitting in front of Miguel Cabrera which means ultra-protection and lots of runs. I think he's a fantastic 4th round buy.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:08 pm

yea a lot of people have mccann ahead of martinez but martinez should get the most ABs due to that he's not even going to play catcher. i think that gives him the edge over mccann.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:33 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:For me, the biggest conundrum concerning drafting catchers this season is where to draft Mauer.

I was torn between picking Mauer and Kinsler in the 3rd round of the Cafeholics mock. I wound up taking Kinsler and thought he'd be better overall than Mauer, if both played 130 games. Mauer would have been the better complement to my first two picks, Longoria and Howard, and had this been a 2 C league, I probably would have taken him instead. I don't think one takes Mauer for the power per se, but the average and R/RBI advantage over other catchers; 15-20 HR is just the bonus.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)

Postby Inukchuk » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:12 pm

2 pages and nary a mention of Soto... no more Pinella means the Koyie Hill fiasco is (hopefully) over... with a full slate of ABs, he could be the guy to pop 25 along with a serviceable AVG. If his I plan on snatching him up after the 2 hype machines (Posey/Santana) and watching him outperform both...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby oddmanout7 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:34 pm

I like Santana this year if you can get him later. Also I think Wieters will bounce back a bit. Maybe not set the world on fire, but the potential is there to be very good and provide a good return. If those two go higher than I want, Arencibia is probably another good option as previsouly mentioned in the threat. Great power, could hit 20+ HR, but his average could be anywhere from Carlos Pena to Ryan Howard. (ie. .220-.260)
oddmanout7
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby MTUCache » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:45 pm

Inukchuk wrote:2 pages and nary a mention of Soto... no more Pinella means the Koyie Hill fiasco is (hopefully) over... with a full slate of ABs, he could be the guy to pop 25 along with a serviceable AVG. If his I plan on snatching him up after the 2 hype machines (Posey/Santana) and watching him outperform both...

Seems like both Soto and Napoli have both already caught the attention of the hype-machine this season. Through four mocks I've seen both of them go before Santana and Weiters in every one, simply because they started higher in the default rankings.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:00 pm

oddmanout7 wrote:I like Santana this year if you can get him later. Also I think Wieters will bounce back a bit. Maybe not set the world on fire, but the potential is there to be very good and provide a good return. If those two go higher than I want, Arencibia is probably another good option as previsouly mentioned in the threat. Great power, could hit 20+ HR, but his average could be anywhere from Carlos Pena to Ryan Howard. (ie. .220-.260)

You're like obsessed with the young, hot prospect type lol
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers