Vlad signs with Orioles - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Vlad signs with Orioles

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Vlad signs with Orioles

Postby B-Chad » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:30 pm

So upon further review... I'm more perplexed. By signing Vlad, the O's are replacing Luke Scott at DH with a lesser hitter, using wOBA (.387 for Scott, .360 for Vlad), and moving a poor fielder, Scott into the OF? Sure, Felix Pie posted a negative 2.0 UZR last year (and believe me, I understand defensive metrics lag behind offensive ones substantially), but he also posted a positive 4.5 UZR in 2009, so lets say he falls somewhere in between on the positive side of the ledger. I'd say it's fairly established Luke Scott isn't much of a fielder, and Vlad is essentially strictly a DH at this point. Talk about hamstringing your lineup options, and it doens't appear they gained much.

Sure, there might not have been much left out there to sign, but as I said, wouldn't they have been better off saving that money to re-invest in say the draft for instance, so they don't take a Matt Hopgood again to pinch pennies?
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dooz » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:18 pm

B-Chad wrote:So upon further review... I'm more perplexed. By signing Vlad, the O's are replacing Luke Scott at DH with a lesser hitter, using wOBA (.387 for Scott, .360 for Vlad), and moving a poor fielder, Scott into the OF? Sure, Felix Pie posted a negative 2.0 UZR last year (and believe me, I understand defensive metrics lag behind offensive ones substantially), but he also posted a positive 4.5 UZR in 2009, so lets say he falls somewhere in between on the positive side of the ledger. I'd say it's fairly established Luke Scott isn't much of a fielder, and Vlad is essentially strictly a DH at this point. Talk about hamstringing your lineup options, and it doens't appear they gained much.

Sure, there might not have been much left out there to sign, but as I said, wouldn't they have been better off saving that money to re-invest in say the draft for instance, so they don't take a Matt Hopgood again to pinch pennies?

They very well might be better off spending that money in the draft, I can't really say. As far as Scott being a 'better' hitter than Vlad, the advanced metrics agree with you but most fans and some FO people don't use (or understand) these metrics. Getting Scott/Vlad into the lineup is better than Pie/Scott so the O's must feel that adding to the offense is worth sacrificing Pie's defense. It's my understanding that he's an average defender at best anyway.
dooz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby B-Chad » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:49 pm

dooz wrote:
B-Chad wrote:So upon further review... I'm more perplexed. By signing Vlad, the O's are replacing Luke Scott at DH with a lesser hitter, using wOBA (.387 for Scott, .360 for Vlad), and moving a poor fielder, Scott into the OF? Sure, Felix Pie posted a negative 2.0 UZR last year (and believe me, I understand defensive metrics lag behind offensive ones substantially), but he also posted a positive 4.5 UZR in 2009, so lets say he falls somewhere in between on the positive side of the ledger. I'd say it's fairly established Luke Scott isn't much of a fielder, and Vlad is essentially strictly a DH at this point. Talk about hamstringing your lineup options, and it doens't appear they gained much.

They very well might be better off spending that money in the draft, I can't really say. As far as Scott being a 'better' hitter than Vlad, the advanced metrics agree with you but most fans and some FO people don't use (or understand) these metrics. Getting Scott/Vlad into the lineup is better than Pie/Scott so the O's must feel that adding to the offense is worth sacrificing Pie's defense. It's my understanding that he's an average defender at best anyway.

While I agree the offensive upgrade makes the team better than what Pie brought to the table as a fielder, was it really worth the contract Vlad received? 1-year deal or not, seems silly to me, especially when this would have been a fine season to evaluate Nolan Reimold as well. Perhaps he hits well early, and the O's flip one of these guys at the deadline to help stock the farm, in which case my opinion would change drastically. At the moment though, not a fan of the signing.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mweir145 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:51 pm

Agreed, what they've done makes no sense. And overall, it's still a very mediocre offense.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 85)

Postby kab21 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:03 pm

I find all of this bellyaching over Pie losing PT laughable. :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b

He's not a very good baseball player. UZR/150 doesn't even like him since he's been a -9, +7 and -3 fielder the last 3 years and he has terrible plate discipline and mediocre power. Bell should be in AAA for the year. I am a big fan of Riemold but there are a lot of positions that he can fill (other players shuffling) so he'll be able to get his PT when the inevitable injury occurs if he looks good.

Two other things
1) the O's are not an impoverished team - they have money to spend. And they made no long-term commitments with their money.

2) I think some of you underestimate the demoralizing effect that playing on a guaranteed loser every season can have on a young player's development. The O's probably aren't going to go .500 but these moves take the prospects out of the focal point of the offense and can allow them to relax.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 522)

Postby The Mighty Trow » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:25 am

kab21 wrote:2) I think some of you underestimate the demoralizing effect that playing on a guaranteed loser every season can have on a young player's development. The O's probably aren't going to go .500 but these moves take the prospects out of the focal point of the offense and can allow them to relax.

I appreciate this point, and I like the acquisition. Another veteran threat in the lineup means the Baltimore youth movement a chance to grow and not turn into cannon fodder for the rest of the division.

Vlad will put some people in the seats, but not tons of people. He has proven (for at least the first half of last season) that he is still a hitter to be feared. Sure, age and health are against him but one year mitigates the risk. I think the O's do look to ship one of their other OF at some point in the season. Maybe they even ship Vlad if he's hot out the starting gate?

I only wonder what happened to the 3-5m originally bandied about. 8 feels a bit steep for a 36 year old with one knee :-S
The Mighty Trow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers