Greinke vs Morrow??? Whirl - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Greinke vs Morrow??? Whirl

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Greinke vs Morrow??? Whirl

Postby Demolition13 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:26 pm

Keeper League, $260 Salary Cap. I was offered $22 Greinke for my $6 Morrow. Obviosly Greinke is the better pitcher, but there is a huge $$ difference there. Please help!!!
Demolition13
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Greinke vs Morrow??? Whirl

Postby Demolition13 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:29 pm

Oops, typo. Meant to write Whir.
Demolition13
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Fantasy GM » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:32 pm

What other SP's are you keeping? If you have a couple/few other SP's, this trade could work. However, I wouldn't want Morrow leading my pitching staff. :-o
Fantasy GM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Demolition13 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:34 pm

My currnet pitchers are:
Liriano $17
Morrow $6
Sale $7
Thornton $18 (not sure if I am keeping him)
Demolition13
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Fantasy GM » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:36 pm

Keep Greinke. I wouldn't keep either reliever, since Thornton and Sale are battling for the ChiSox closing job. You don't want $18 on a setup man. :-b. $7 for Sale is better than $18 for Thornton easily.
Fantasy GM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Montana168 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:36 pm

Yes I would do that trade. I know the price is a big difference, but even though I'm not big on Greinke, you have a better chance at flipping him for something better down the road, so a better return on investment, IMO. As the above guy stated, do NOT keep Thornton at that price. That is just absurd, even if that was Brian Wilson or Carlos Marmol, I wouldn't pay that price to keep a closer.

help with mine?
viewtopic.php?t=421425
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby hot4tx » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:01 pm

Yeah Thornton for $18 is a no-brainer.

I'm not sure if Greinke is a $22 pitcher going into 2011. That price is right around SP #10 or so? I still think he's a top-15 guy, but I'm not sold on him being a top-10 guy just yet. Even if you think he is there's little upside to that one, while Morrow at $6 has a good chance to outperform that.

That said, the biggest question of course is what else would be available in the auction this year. How many players can each team keep? How many top-15 or top-20 do you expect to be kept? If pitching will be really thin then I'd make the trade and get yourself a decent ace or else you could wind up overpaying for a lesser #1 for your team. If there's a ton of SPs that will be out there I'd either ask the guy to sweeten the pot a little bit for you or I'd stay with Morrow, figuring I can get another SP similar or better than Greinke for the same or less $$$. Then I'd park my Rolls Royce, put the Voss water down, and take a good look at myself in my horchow mirror for considering an $18 Thornton.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby Demolition13 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:16 pm

Regarding Thornton, the only reason why it is even being considered is this is an extremely deep league, where almost all of the top 50 players are being kept. There are only going to be 6 closers available (the top 12 are being kept) and the best one availabe will be Valverde or Cordero. I am hoping Sale just wins the closer role and then there isn't even a choice.
Also just about all of the top 15 pitchers will be kept with the exception of Sabathia and maybe Haren. Otherwise I wouldn't even consider this deal.
Thanks for all the advice.
Demolition13
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby RunReyesRun » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:27 pm

Without the $$, I value Greinke a little more than Morrow. But at those prices, I'd do that trade. Would also not keep Thornton @ 18
RunReyesRun
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby nyy28 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:12 pm

This is an extremely close call and I don't think you can go wrong either way. If you want to play it safe, take Greinke. Personally, I would rather have Morrow + $16 extra. You can do a lot with an extra 16 bucks in your draft if you have a good eye for recognizing value. You could go in a few different directions - Morrow plus another $16 SP. You could have Morrow plus an $8 SP and an $8 hitter. Or even Morrow plus four $4 sleepers late in the draft. A penny saved is a penny earned.

If you think you can grab a few sleepers or two with that extra $16 then pass on Greinke, but if you don't want to gamble with young players and/or sleepers then take Greinke.

Let me know what you think I should do with my last keeper spot when you get a chance...
viewtopic.php?t=421443
nyy28
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions