Draft Strategy WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Draft Strategy WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Draft Strategy WHIR

Postby KSig24 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:56 am

My keeper league is Yahoo 10 team 5x5 8 keepers.

Here is my team now after some intense trading the past couple weeks. Utley, Holliday, Wright, Felix, J Upton, Kinsler, McCutchen.

I am on the fence about my last keeper big time now. At first I was gonna keep Pedro Alvarez, but with pitching being scarce in this league I am thinking about trading for Morrow or Matusz, or keeping Hellckson, or Cahill. I am big on Alvarez because of his power potential, but I now have Wright who will be solid for years.

Who do you think I should keep?

The first round will look like this: Pujols, Cabrera, Cano, Crawford, Teixeira etc. Should I take a chance at pick 5 and draft Verlander and then follow up in round 2 with Gallardo? I would strengthen my pitching almost immediately and then I can focus on landing others later to fill my voids at 1B, SS, and C. I dont have a round 3 pick, but I do have 3 picks in round 7.

Most greatly appreciated. Post your questions and I will help as usual!
KSig24
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Draft Strategy WHIR

Postby dleoboyd » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:32 am

My first recommendation would be to do whatever you have to do to move up into one of the top two spots in the draft so you can snag Pujols or Cabrera.

Despite the fact that I like Matusz and Morrow as potential breakout candidates in 2011 I don't think they are keeper worthy in this situation, especially since you'd have to trade for them. Cahill is also not an option IMO. Alvarez and Hellickson are both decent, but risky options with Alvarez having more upside. Because of that I would take Alvarez and then concentrate on top pitching in the draft (after you move up and grab Pujols or Cabrera).
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Aristotle
dleoboyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby KSig24 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:42 pm

The only way I will be able to move up in the draft is if I was to trade Utley for the 2nd overall pick and a player. I lose Utley though who is the top rated 2B.

I dunno?
KSig24
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Fantasy GM » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:51 pm

Utley is very good, but if you're essentially trading him for Pujols or M-Cab, do the trade. Pujols is a monster and M-Cab is amazing in his own right, plus he is four years younger than Albert. Keep in mind Utley is 32 and has had procedures done each of the past two seasons as well. Position scarcity should be noted, but guys like Pujols or MCab are a sure boost over Utley.
Fantasy GM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MaudDib » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:55 pm

Fantasy GM wrote:Utley is very good, but if you're essentially trading him for Pujols or M-Cab, do the trade. Pujols is a monster and M-Cab is amazing in his own right, plus he is four years younger than Albert. Keep in mind Utley is 32 and has had procedures done each of the past two seasons as well. Position scarcity should be noted, but guys like Pujols or MCab are a sure boost over Utley.

I agree with this though it does depend on who that other player turns out to be.

I would also keep Pedro.

Even if you don't trade up, I would take Verlander. If you can grab any of those first 5 guys you mentioned, they are better than Verlander.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 381)

Postby KSig24 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:59 pm

Utley is a keeper though and anyone in the first 6 rounds is not. So essentially I would be trading for a pick to win now which I want to do and Utley aging is the only qualm I have.
KSig24
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions