Pick last keeper...NEW KEEPERS ADDED 2/6!! WHIR ASAP!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Pick last keeper...NEW KEEPERS ADDED 2/6!! WHIR ASAP!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Pick last keeper... Chapman, Beckham, Papelbon WHIR ASAP!!

Postby nyy28 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:24 pm

You definitely keep Beckham here. Yes your lineup is stacked, but not complete. You still need to fill out the IF/UTIL positions and Beckham would be a viable starter at either one of those spots. Keeping a closer is never a good idea, especially one like Papelbon whose successor is already on his back. Chapman could be valuable if you could be assured that he would be starting this year, but he most likely will remain in the bullpen throughout 2011. Definitely keep Beckham and then go after SP early and often in your draft.

Give me your opinion on mine when you can...

viewtopic.php?t=421443
nyy28
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby boredguy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:45 pm

I'd go Papelbon, you should be able to grab Beckham after the 10th if you really want him. Chapman will almost certainly come out of the pen but almost surely not close to start the season, at least with Paps you know he'll be closing at the start of the season and will have to screw up to lose the job.
boredguy
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby nyy28 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:57 pm

boredguy wrote:I'd go Papelbon, you should be able to grab Beckham after the 10th if you really want him. Chapman will almost certainly come out of the pen but almost surely not close to start the season, at least with Paps you know he'll be closing at the start of the season and will have to screw up to lose the job.

10 teams that are all keeping 8 players each and you plan on landing Beckham sometime after the 10th round? Good luck with that one...Beckham will probably go somewhere between the 2nd-4th round. If you still have open starting slots at IF/Util positions, then I don't understand why you would consider keeping a relief pitcher here over Beckham.
nyy28
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby boredguy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:01 pm

nyy28 wrote:
boredguy wrote:I'd go Papelbon, you should be able to grab Beckham after the 10th if you really want him. Chapman will almost certainly come out of the pen but almost surely not close to start the season, at least with Paps you know he'll be closing at the start of the season and will have to screw up to lose the job.

10 teams that are all keeping 8 players each and you plan on landing Beckham sometime after the 10th round? Good luck with that one...Beckham will probably go somewhere between the 2nd-4th round. If you still have open starting slots at IF/Util positions, then I don't understand why you would consider keeping a relief pitcher here over Beckham.

Meant 10th round as in first 8 rounds are the keepers, so same as where you're saying he'll go. Obviously he's not going to be around at what's essentially the 18th round.
boredguy
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby nyy28 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:21 pm

boredguy wrote:
nyy28 wrote:

Meant 10th round as in first 8 rounds are the keepers, so same as where you're saying he'll go. Obviously he's not going to be around at what's essentially the 18th round.

Gotcha. I still don't see the logic in keeping a lame duck closer instead of a guy like Beckham who is about to enter his prime at a relatively scarce position. Not only does he give you more value than Papelbon, but keeping another solid bat instead of a relief pitcher allows you to take an extra SP early in the draft instead of drafting someone for your Utility slot. To each their own though
nyy28
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby colt4523 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:16 pm

Paps is a safer bet. He closes for one of the best teams in the league and if he does get traded, he will most likely still close. Beckham is still a mystery. He was horrible last year. All he did for me is take up a bench spot. In addition, he is more likely to be available later in the draft than Paps.
90% of my posts are from complaining about my team :)
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 83)

Postby MadDog36 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:17 pm

and you have no one else to consider?
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1950)

Postby nyy28 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:54 pm

I'll still take the 24 year old 2B over the closer who is past his prime and on the verge of being replaced. Beckham has a hell of a lot more upside than Papelbon - especially for a keeper league. Many people will avoid Beckham this year because they spent an early draft pick on him last year, and he didn't produce as expected. It was his first full major league season I wouldn't be so quick to write him off after one slow start.

Beckham pre all star break last year: AVG. 216 OBP .277 SLG .304 OPS .581
and post all star break : AVG .310 OBP .380 SLG .497 OPS .877

Obviously he had nowhere to go but up, but those are some really significant increases.

Papelbon most likely won't even be the Red Sox closer by the time the fantasy playoffs roll around.
nyy28
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby kab21 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:04 pm

nyy28 wrote:Gotcha. I still don't see the logic in keeping a lame duck closer instead of a guy like Beckham who is about to enter his prime at a relatively scarce position. Not only does he give you more value than Papelbon, but keeping another solid bat instead of a relief pitcher allows you to take an extra SP early in the draft instead of drafting someone for your Utility slot. To each their own though

with only 8 keepers it doesn't matter if he's a lame duck closer (even though he'll sign somewhere to be a closer the following season). It's really easy to find keeper replacements for next season when you redraft 2/3's of your roster. I personally approach leagues like this as redraft leagues with 90% of the focus on the current season (unless your team is absolutely terrible) although I might take a couple of upside fliers in the later rds to fill up my bench.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 167)

Postby bigcrowleystyle » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:13 pm

Are you sure there aren't any other options than those three? I wouldn't keep any of 'em...
bigcrowleystyle
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions