Browser wars: Firefox vs. Chrome - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Browser wars: Firefox vs. Chrome

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Firefox crashes

Postby Tavish » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:57 am

wrveres wrote:thanks for that. i have about 20 search engines already set up. i think they transfered over from firefox. Im just trying to figure out the easiest way to switch between them. I'll get it figured out. i'm deep into the extensions and greasemonkey code as we speak.

I don't use 20 search engines (maybe 10) but the ones I use the most often I have keywords setup for. Usually I prefix the keyword with a slash so I use /br for bb-ref, /wp for wikipedia etc.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DaShiz23 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:01 am

Tavish wrote:
DaShiz23 wrote:sorry for such a n00B question, but I just did a reinstall of Windows on a laptop, and someone messed up and got rid of the toolbar for Firefox, how the H do I get it back?? 8-o

Alt + V / Toolbars should give you the toolbar view options.

Thanks, I ended up getting it last night. I tend to post crap before doing the work myself. :-B
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:18 am

while we are on the topic of n00b questions.. I'm not really a master of this stuff.

Any of you chrome users know how I can get my bookmarks bar to always be at the top of my browser, instead of only on the homescreen.

anyone know how I change the order and display of my extensions on the right?

anyone know any cool tricks that I probably don't know, but probably should?
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 167)

Postby Tavish » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:18 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:Any of you chrome users know how I can get my bookmarks bar to always be at the top of my browser, instead of only on the homescreen.

Tools -> Always Show Bookmarks Bar

OR

CTL + SHFT + B

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby wrveres » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:30 pm

Tavish wrote:
wrveres wrote:thanks for that. i have about 20 search engines already set up. i think they transfered over from firefox. Im just trying to figure out the easiest way to switch between them. I'll get it figured out. i'm deep into the extensions and greasemonkey code as we speak.

I don't use 20 search engines (maybe 10) but the ones I use the most often I have keywords setup for. Usually I prefix the keyword with a slash so I use /br for bb-ref, /wp for wikipedia etc.

worked like a champ.
thanks.

i cleaned up a bunch of search engines too ;-D
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 758)

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:37 pm

I think I'm the last person on earth that still uses IE and hotmail. I tried firefox and had all kinds of problems with it and tried gmail and hated it. HATE. I should get a "Hotmail 4 Life" tattoo.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:02 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:I think I'm the last person on earth that still uses IE and hotmail. I tried firefox and had all kinds of problems with it and tried gmail and hated it. HATE. I should get a "Hotmail 4 Life" tattoo.

nah i'm with you...IE and hotmail (although my email is @msn.com)...i use Chrome at work in incognito to keep all the history off my computer (yes i know it's still on the server)

i also dont have a facebook :^
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby knapplc » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:27 pm

I use FF and hotmail. I've been using this hotmail account for ten years. I have thousands of emails saved in this thing. If I could transfer them to gmail I might make a permanent switch, but I don't know how to do that.

gmail is OK. Not so great I have to switch.

Why do I want chrome over FF? Did I miss the posts where chrome killed FF and danced on its grave?
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jfg » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:42 am

I switched back to Firefox because I was having a problem with Chrome stalling on large downloads. Also, once I installed all the extensions I used in Firefox, Chrome didn't seem that much faster and I was missing a couple good ones unavailable on Chrome. Plus, I could never get any of the mouse gesture extensions to work as good as the one I use with Firefox. The big plus of Chrome for me is that it handles embedded video and other flash related things better but that wasn't enough for me to stay with it.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 86)

Postby wrveres » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:51 am

jfg wrote:Also, once I installed all the extensions I used in Firefox, Chrome didn't seem that much faster and I was missing a couple good ones unavailable on Chrome.

Thats where i am right now.

I have deleted this one RSS feed like four times, and yet there it is still on my toolbar. The lack of toolbar control is very frustrating. Iv'e got icons on both sides of my browser, instead of all one nice neat place.

And i still can't get greasemonkey to work properly. No split screen control that i could find. thats huge for drafts.

I'll give it till the season starts, but my immediate enthusiasm about its speed is gone.

meh! it hasn't crashed once. I'll give it that.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 758)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk