Need help with who I should target WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Need help with who I should target WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need help with who I should target WHIR

Postby Guzman24 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:58 pm

I have a surplus of keepers and I want to try make a few 2 for 1 swaps to try and get younger.

This is a long term keeper money league and I kinda gambled it all last year trading away a lot of my picks in this years draft to win it all. Luckily the gamble worked but now I don't pick until round 4 this season which has put me at a big handicap.

I've won back to back championships so I'm thinking ahead to 2012 and possibly using this season as a rebuilding year.

Here's a list of the guys I have who I consider keepers or valuable assets :)
12 Teams 8 Keepers H2H 5x5 (obp instead of avg)

Teix, Votto, Arod, Kemp, Reyes, JJohnson, Price, Verlander, Liriano, Reynolds, Hart, Papelbon

Any ideas on who I should try and target and who I should trade away? Thx in advance
Guzman24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Need help with who I should target WHIR

Postby MaudDib » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:58 pm

Hard to really say with out actually being in the league. I would target a couple of teams that need extra keepers and see what players they have that you like. Doing a 2-1 before draft is always hard to do and only teams that are in need of keepers are usually up for it.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby Redmond_Square » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:35 am

Hmm how about offering Reynolds and Papelbon for a great 2b (maybe Weeks?)
Redmond_Square
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 58)

Postby teeznutz » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:23 am

Keep your core and upgrade your 2b position. Reynolds/Papelbon should net a solid 2b.

Pls. help:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=421409
teeznutz
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Padres Fan » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:12 am

I agree in getting a 2B, but I would trade Arod over Reynolds, as Arod is starting to decline and he is getting up there in age, plus with the bad luck NY had this season on getting shut out on pitching, plus i think in camden yards Reynolds could go .260 40 to Arods .260 30-35, the stolen bases should be about even but I go with younger option, plus maybe a star studded name like Arod with Paps could net Cano

help with mine?
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=421411
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby jmlevy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:23 am

I Would trade arod too. Even if you have to overpay for a Phillips/cano, you have plenty of talent to spare. perhaps u can ask for a draft pick or two by overpaying?

viewtopic.php?t=421416
Owner of the Atlanta Braves in Strike Zone Dynasty
jmlevy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 10)

Postby Fantasy GM » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:30 pm

If you're looking at 2012, A-Rod should be dealt. He's still very good, but he has a lot more trade value than Reynolds (a 3B with power-but-no-aveage moving out of a hitter's park) and Papelbon (not nearly as good as he used to be at closer). I would try to pair A-Rod with a weaker "keeper" like Reynolds/Papelbon/Hart first and see what 2B you can get.

If you want Cano (best keeper at 2B), you may have to deal A-Rod and one of your SPs. Johnson is the most talented, but some think he could get hurt. Liriano has great upside, but isn't 2006 Liriano anymore.

I can see A-Rod and Papelbon for Dustin Pedroia type deal happening. See what type of 2B you can get by mixing and matching the players. Good luck.

If you were commish, what do you do with this trade? viewtopic.php?t=421423
Fantasy GM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Montana168 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:40 pm

I find myself in the exact position that you are in almost all my keeper leagues. I always end up trading my top picks to rebuilding teams because you usually can get a better valued player during the season for that pick than the player you are usually getting at that draft pick. With that roster of keepers, there is no way you should be looking at this year as a rebuilding year. Just because you don't have those top picks, doesn't mean you can't be an elite team again. I do it every year in my keepers, and I always finish top 3 in the regular season. Easy to find sleepers in the mid rounds, and also especially off the waiver wire early in the season.

Regarding your question, I would look to send off a lot of those pitchers. In my 8 keeper league, I like to only keep 2 SP MAX and then fill out the rest of my staff because it is easier to find quality SP than big time power hitters off the waiver wire. Try to also trade some of those SP for picks if that is allowed. In no way should you be keeping Papelbon either. If you can't deal him, just throw him back in the pool, never keep a closer.

help with mine?
viewtopic.php?t=421425
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Guzman24 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:43 am

Montana168 wrote:I find myself in the exact position that you are in almost all my keeper leagues. I always end up trading my top picks to rebuilding teams because you usually can get a better valued player during the season for that pick than the player you are usually getting at that draft pick. With that roster of keepers, there is no way you should be looking at this year as a rebuilding year. Just because you don't have those top picks, doesn't mean you can't be an elite team again. I do it every year in my keepers, and I always finish top 3 in the regular season. Easy to find sleepers in the mid rounds, and also especially off the waiver wire early in the season.

Regarding your question, I would look to send off a lot of those pitchers. In my 8 keeper league, I like to only keep 2 SP MAX and then fill out the rest of my staff because it is easier to find quality SP than big time power hitters off the waiver wire. Try to also trade some of those SP for picks if that is allowed. In no way should you be keeping Papelbon either. If you can't deal him, just throw him back in the pool, never keep a closer.

help with mine?
viewtopic.php?t=421425

Ya I wouldn't be keeping Papelbon. I just know that he's looked at by many as an elite closer so that's why I listed him as a potential keeper with keeper like value. I would never keep the guy. Not a good idea to keep closers and I can't stand the guy personally lol.

I'll return the help now for those of you that asked. Sorry for the delay. Was out of town :) Any other ideas??
Guzman24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions