My first pick - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

My first pick

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

My first pick

Postby Surfs up » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:18 am

I have the third overall pick in this years draft. We have a lottery for the order of the three picks.
I had traded Mauer to get one of these picks. I was hoping for one or two but what ever player I get can be kept for a total of four years. Mauer only has two years left.
My team and years left next to his name.
Albert 2
Miggy 1
Hanley 3
Cruz 2
Bautista 3
Utley 3
Players avalible
Braun most likely one or two
Tulo Most likey one or two
Hamilton Three ???
Texiera Three?
Kemp
I don't see Braun or Tulo falling to me at three. Who would you take at three knowing my team.
Standard 5x5 scoring. We hit 15 and pitch 10. No bench.We have three UTL players. One can be any position.Therefore I could take Tex . I also have the 12th overall pick and was thinking of Lester or Verlander if one of them is there.Thoughts?
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 195)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: My first pick

Postby Wadderboiz » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:33 am

I'd say you should really look for one of those top few aces if available (Halladay, Lee, Lincecum, Wainright, etc.) I don't know that Hamilton or Teixeira are the best suit for your needs. You have a ton of power already I'd look for some speed too (Crawford, Reyes).
Wadderboiz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Surfs up » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:46 am

Lincecum is avalible but all of the others are taken. Crawford was drafted last year so he still has three years left. I might be able to pull off a trade to get Crawford. His owner has the seventh pick in the draft. That would give him two first round picks.But I would also have to get a pick back. When trading a pick we have to include a pick . We draft 19 plyers so we all need 19 picks. They can be in any order.Maybe I could ask for Crawford and his second round pick for my first round pick. Doubt he would do that.Maybe something like his fourth would work . Thoughts?
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BUCCOFAN » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:11 pm

I'd pass on Hamilton and Big-Tex. HOWEVER if Braun or Tulo fall JUMP on them.

As you stated that the "freak" Lincecum is there, take him, if the above are gone.

PLEASE HELP ME:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=421004
BUCCOFAN
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 278)

Postby Surfs up » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:00 pm

Yes I do have a stacked lineup but its only six players not eight or ten.We have 25 man rosters. I can't tell myself to pass on a solid hitter for a stud pitcher. even if its Linceum.I do have another first round pick and if Verlander or Lester is there that would be my choice.
There will be plenty of pitching goin back. I'm throwing back Liriano , Bumgarner and Scherzer just to name three.I can always trade for pitching . I did the last two years. Guys will always be looking for hitting.I might be able to get Wainwright.The manager that has him and I have done a bunch of trades ove rthe years. I just don't know what I am willing to give up to get him. I also like the idea of having six hitters. I could keep Liriano and not have to give anything for that matter but who would I drop? Thoughts?
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MaudDib » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:04 pm

I think I would go with Linc here. Kemp is nice and all but you already have a lot of talented hitters so you should start getting your pitching staff in order.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 369)

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:20 pm

Kemp
Hamilton
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 296)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Surfs up » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:34 pm

I suppose its also possible that one of the two picks ahead of me takes Lincecum.That would leave either Braun or Tulo. I just offered the owner of the second pick his choice of Liriano or Scherzer along with my # 3 pick for his # 2 pick. I can't even get the owner of the # 1 pick to return email so I'm not even going to try to make an offer to him.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MaudDib » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:51 pm

Surfs up wrote:I suppose its also possible that one of the two picks ahead of me takes Lincecum.That would leave either Braun or Tulo. I just offered the owner of the second pick his choice of Liriano or Scherzer along with my # 3 pick for his # 2 pick. I can't even get the owner of the # 1 pick to return email so I'm not even going to try to make an offer to him.

I assume you can't keep Max or Liriano? Then decent deal but I am not sure I would be to worried about making a deal. Plenty of talent will be there at #3.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 369)

Postby Surfs up » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:29 pm

I could keep either or of the pitchers but who would I drop? I like Bautista to followup 10 with something like 35 hrs/115 rbi / .260 / 90 runs/ 8 steals . I just don't see keeping one of those pitchers over a shallow position like third base.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions