Keeper Evaluation, Quick Rank 'em please - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Keeper Evaluation, Quick Rank 'em please

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper Evaluation, Quick Rank 'em please

Postby icemic » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:23 am

I'm in a 15 team 5x5 roto league, we start 14 hitters, and 10 pitchers (can be any combination of SP/RP) We get $285 to spend at the auction. I can select 3 of the following:

Josh Johnson - $11
David Price - $6
Phil Hughes - $1 (Don't really like him that much, especially considering division, ballpark, and flyball rate, but ranking say I should keep him)
John Axford - $1
Chris Young (OF) - $1
Chris Perez - $1

For trading purposes, please rank my minors as well:

Jhoulys Chacin
Travis Wood
Drew Storen
Jordan Zimmerman

I am looking at a trade right now where I would give Hughes and Zimmerman in order to get Bumgarner in my minors. So essentially it's like I'd be getting Axford back in return since I couldn't keep him if I keep Hughes. Would love some quick advice. this is my first time on these forums. I have the trade on the table and there's no telling if the owner might pull it back.
icemic
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper Evaluation, Quick Rank 'em please

Postby onitapgr » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:14 am

Young
Johnson
Price
Axford
Hughes
Perez

Chacin
Zimmerman
Wood
Storen
onitapgr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby dleoboyd » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:32 am

Josh Johnson and David Price are pretty good bargains at those prices. I would keep them both.

I would probably go with Chris Perez as your 3rd keeper. Anytime you can roster a 30-40 save guy with strong strikeout stuff for $1 in a 5x5 league you've done well.

For your MiLB system I like Jordan Zimmermann over the rest. An upcoming article of mine here at FBC will analyze Zimmermann a bit more - but short story is that I like him to breakout in 2011 and/or 2012 in a big way. I rank the rest Chacin, Storen, and Wood.

I would not accept the proposal for Bumgarner. Zimmermann is likely to be better than him now and in the future.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Aristotle
dleoboyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby icemic » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:40 am

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. Since you both agree that I would not likely keep Hughes, would it make sense to move him and Wood or Storen in order to get Bumgarner in return? I'm just looking to upgrade my keeper situation coming into this year. Also, this is likely my last year in this league, so I don't really care about anything after 2011.

Looking forward to the article on Zimmerman. I like his potential, but I can't understand all the hype when he hasn't proven much in the minors or the majors and is coming off of an injury playing for a bad team. I see a lot of K's from him, but he won't go deep in games which will limit his wins, and his ERA/WHIP will most likely be mediocre at best from what he's shown so far. I'm interested to hear arguments that say otherwise though.
icemic
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Wadderboiz » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:50 am

Chris Young (OF) - $1
Josh Johnson - $11
David Price - $6
John Axford - $1
Phil Hughes - $1
Chris Perez - $1

Drew Storen
Jhoulys Chacin
Jordan Zimmerman
Travis Wood
Wadderboiz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dleoboyd » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:50 pm

Here's what I have to say about Zimmerman in soon to be posted article:

Jordan Zimmermann missed most of the 2010 season due to Tommy John surgery, but worked his way back ahead of schedule and was able to quickly make his way through 4 MiLB levels and pitch 31 innings for the Nationals by the end of the season. Zimmermann looked less rusty than most returning from TJ surgery as his control was just as good as it was in 2009. On the other hand his fastball and slider command would noticeably abandon him at times and his frustration with that was visible on the mound. Before the surgery Zimmermann showed the ability to strikeout more than a batter per inning with a good walk rate (2.9 BB/9), and a GB tilt to boot. He throws strikes and works quickly with 4 above average pitches. Zimmermann will definitely go undervalued in 2011 and could be a top 5 NL SP by the beginning of 2012.

What Zimmermann has proven in both the majors and minors is that he has above average control and can strike out better than a batter per inning. That's the stuff aces are made of. In Zimmermann's ML debut during 2009 his flashed a 9.1 K/9 and a 2.9 BB/9.

Lets take a look at the SP who posted K/9 of 9 or more coupled with BB/9 of 3 or less (100 IP min) during 2010: Mat Latos, Josh Johnson, Francisco Liriano, and Jered Weaver.

In 2009 that list included Justin Verlander, Jon Lester, Jake Peavy, Zack Greinke, Tim Lincecum, Javier Vazquez, and Ricky Nolasco.

Go back and look at their numbers those seasons. I don't care what team you play for if you have a k/9 of 9+ and a BB/9 of 3 or less you're going to be a good SP.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Aristotle
dleoboyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions