Draft strategy?? WHIRWHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Draft strategy?? WHIRWHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Draft strategy?? WHIRWHIR

Postby SLBarnes » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:43 pm

I'm in a 5x5 12 team yahoo league where we keep 5, in my case those 5 are: Bruce, Ethier, Teixiera, Rollins, Butler...not excellent but not terrible.

2010 Stats

Teixiera: .256/33/108/2
Butler: .318/15/78/0
Ethier: .292/23/82/2
Bruce: .281/25/70/5
Rollins: .243/8/41/17

Do you guys see any common denominators here or anything I should base my draft around? Teixiera, Butler, Ethier, and Bruce are all capable of hitting 30+ bombs..thats all I can see. I am trying to develop a strategy before the draft then base my picks on that. I have 2 first rounders and I really want to make the best of them. What route should i take during the draft, more importantly the first round picks?

thanks and WHIR.
SLBarnes
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Draft strategy?? WHIRWHIR

Postby LMack » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:31 pm

I would target a 3B and a SP with your first two picks. Do you know what players the other teams are keeping?
Go Jay Bruce. Credits to Super Manny.
LMack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby MaudDib » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:52 pm

I am almost always one who drafts best player available especially this early in the draft. Do you know who is likely to be available in the first round?
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby fast dogs » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:54 pm

depending on who gets held; the dropoff at 3rd base gets steep pretty quick. If all the top 1's are already gone then you can probably just wait. The thing that sticks out to me is the lack of speed; Rollins runs less and less. I'd look at the running 2nd basemen in the draft or someone like BJ who can run for the whole team
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 303)

Postby SLBarnes » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:32 pm

Yea I was thinking about drafting a 3B, but like you said the top tier and those on the bubble are being kept. However, one manager may not be keeping Pedro Alvarez. If he falls to me should I jump on him? Or should i just draft the best player available? I have a lot of question marks heading in so I would like to have a consistent producer early. What are your thoughts?
SLBarnes
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dannahann » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:07 pm

SLBarnes wrote:Yea I was thinking about drafting a 3B, but like you said the top tier and those on the bubble are being kept. However, one manager may not be keeping Pedro Alvarez. If he falls to me should I jump on him? Or should i just draft the best player available? I have a lot of question marks heading in so I would like to have a consistent producer early. What are your thoughts?

Could you list the best two or three available at 2B, 3B, C, OF and SP. I think we could steer you better if we knew who was available to draft.
61*
70**73**762***
MVP****NL11,AL07,AL05,NL04,ALNL03,ALNL02,NL01,ALNL00,AL99,ALNL98,ALNL96 RIP Cammi
Cmon Bud, NOW is the time to sack up and force feed an Olympic style drug program down Fehr's fat throat. Save OUR game from these blatant cheaters!
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Postby SLBarnes » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:08 pm

Yea, i'm jumping the gun. Keepers aren't posted yet so I am not 100% who is available, i'm going on speculation and conversations i'm having with managers.
SLBarnes
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dannahann » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:15 pm

Even though he's at a shallow posn Alvarez doesn't strike me as valuable enough to take with one of your first two picks. Too much risk on how well he makes adjustments to the adjustments opposing pitching coaches no doubt made on him this winter. Are only 60 players being protected or do some teams keep more/less than five?
61*
70**73**762***
MVP****NL11,AL07,AL05,NL04,ALNL03,ALNL02,NL01,ALNL00,AL99,ALNL98,ALNL96 RIP Cammi
Cmon Bud, NOW is the time to sack up and force feed an Olympic style drug program down Fehr's fat throat. Save OUR game from these blatant cheaters!
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Postby hot4tx » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:32 pm

Like someone else has said in general I'd still go with the highest value guy at this point (aside from another 1B or SS obviously). I might put a slight premium on 3B, 2B, or C if there's a close one available to your picks when you draft. Definitely don't reach too much, but since you need to fill specific rosters spots for 3B, 2B, C if one of close in your ranking I'd probably reach a bit to fill these over another OF or a SP. If there's a pitcher there at the top of your rankings that you really like then get him, but at this point I wouldn't feel any need to reach at all for pitching. In fact I wouldn't even shy away from getting two more OFs with your next two picks if that's where the value is, especially if one is a LHB to platoon when one of your other 1B/OF have a day off or when Ethier, Bruce, or the other guy face a tough LHP.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby KSig24 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:41 pm

Can you post the rest of your roster? I dont like Rollins.
KSig24
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions