SP Strategy Idea - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

SP Strategy Idea

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

SP Strategy Idea

Postby Mild Thing » Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:36 pm

Unfortunately I got stuck with some slim pickings for filling out my starting pitchers. I have my choice between guys like:
Jake Peavy
Odalis Perez
Jon Garland
Cliff Lee

Not bad, but because my top SPs are not that good, I need a real sleeper. I noticed that Odalis Perez last year had a home ERA of 2.79 and a road ERA of 5.59 -- that's nearly a 3 run difference! In 2002, he had a home ERA of 2.75 and a road ERA of 3.31 -- not nearly as big a difference, but what catches my eye is that home ERA.

I'm wondering if there's another pitcher out there I could combine with Odalis Perez and maybe get SP#2 type numbers by only playing them in home games.

Has anybody tried this? The only downside I can think of is that you basically waste a roster spot.

Any ideas of other pitchers to pick up?
Mild Thing
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mild Thing » Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:39 pm

I should add that my league has a limit to the number of innings your pitchers can have. So I wouldn't be at a disadvantage by not using all the potential innings up.
Mild Thing
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Pedantic » Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:11 pm

I would rather have Peavy than Perez. Perez drives me crazy. One minute he's flirting with a no hitter, the next he's imploding.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby colour wolf » Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:26 pm

Pedantic wrote:I would rather have Peavy than Perez. Perez drives me crazy. One minute he's flirting with a no hitter, the next he's imploding.

Agree completely. Peavy could have really solid numbers across the board this year.
colour wolf
College Coach
College Coach

Postby polyphonic » Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:31 pm

Peavy vs. Perez is a hard question. Perez is the new Chan Ho Park, a guy who really wouldn't be as good if he didn't pitch for the Dodgers. But he still pitches for the Dodgers, and has looked awesome in ST. I still think Peavy is a year away from being a solid contributor.
serious as a heart attack
makes me feel this way
polyphonic
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Mild Thing » Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:35 pm

I guess I didn't write my post very well -- the question is not Peavy vs. Perez.

My question is what do you think of the strategy of picking up 2nd tier pitchers like these guys and playing them only during home games. Has anybody tried this before and can it be successful? If so, who are other pitchers besides Perez that have great home statistics?

Thanks!
Mild Thing
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby polyphonic » Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:39 pm

Mild Thing wrote:I guess I didn't write my post very well -- the question is not Peavy vs. Perez.

My question is what do you think of the strategy of picking up 2nd tier pitchers like these guys and playing them only during home games. Has anybody tried this before and can it be successful? If so, who are other pitchers besides Perez that have great home statistics?

Thanks!

I'd rather start Peavy or Perez on the road than start Garland at home. Unless the road is Colorado, of course.
makes me feel this way
polyphonic
College Coach
College Coach

Postby polyphonic » Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:40 pm

Any time I've overmanaged my team with regard to matchups, it ALWAYS has bit me in the butt. If I have a good pitcher and he isn't pitching in Colorado, I always start him.
makes me feel this way
polyphonic
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Y`s Guy » Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:41 pm

In three different outings...@ SD, @ Hou and @ Colo odalis gave up 23 ER in just 8 2/3 innings. Would love to know his numbers on the road w/o those performances.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 276)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby polyphonic » Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:48 pm

Y`s Guy wrote:In three different outings...@ SD, @ Hou and @ Colo odalis gave up 23 ER in just 8 2/3 innings. Would love to know his numbers on the road w/o those performances.

makes me feel this way
polyphonic
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers