Drabek & Volquez FOR Latos (WHIR) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Drabek & Volquez FOR Latos (WHIR)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Drabek & Volquez FOR Latos (WHIR)

Postby BUCCOFAN » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:28 am

I am in a deep 15 team league, Auction Style Fantasy Points......we keep 12 players, annually players have 3 year contracts. I am trying to acquire Matt Latos, from another owner. He has him locked up "dirt cheap" but now I am beginning to worry about the "Verducci Rule" too many innings for Latos last year? and how will he get the run support now.....is that a concern.

I am trying to use Drabek and another positional player, as bait..... but he is insisting on Volquez. (Who is also cheap @ $1) Thoughts?

I GET:
M.Latos $1 (for two more years)

HE GETS:
K.Drabek $6 (for two more years)
E.Volquez $1 (for two more years)

All three players here have excellent value in an Auction League.......should I stand pat, or accept, or refuse to move Volquez and send someone else.
BUCCOFAN
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 191)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Drabek & Volquez FOR Latos (WHIR)

Postby markball5151 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:07 am

Thanks for the help on mine.

I would DO this deal if I were you. Every site I've been reading has Latos in their top 20 for pitchers this year....while they have Volquez ranked in the 50-60 range, and Drabek out of the top 100.

I would be a little worried about Latos's innings last year, and his lack of run support......but wouldn't you rather have his 3era and 1.08 whip minus 5 wins, than Volquez's 4era and 1.40 whip plus the 5 wins. K rates between the two are comparable.
markball5151
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby JHubRoyals » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:58 am

You can't go wrong with either side of that trade, but I would pull the trigger. Latos is the best player involved and you are getting him for cheap.
JHubRoyals
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MaudDib » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:04 pm

JHubRoyals wrote:You can't go wrong with either side of that trade, but I would pull the trigger. Latos is the best player involved and you are getting him for cheap.

;-D The only worry I have about Latos is the big innings spike he had last year. But I would still do this deal.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 466)

Postby BUCCOFAN » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:09 pm

Do you guys think I can spin this deal back, and say Volquez $1 for Latos $1, and call it a day......or should I be including something else in the deal?

I think Drabek does have really high upside, that may sway the deal.

Any other info greatly appreciated.
BUCCOFAN
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe Ranker

Postby baseballboy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:29 pm

BUCCOFAN wrote:Do you guys think I can spin this deal back, and say Volquez $1 for Latos $1, and call it a day......or should I be including something else in the deal?

I think Drabek does have really high upside, that may sway the deal.

Any other info greatly appreciated.

I like Drebek but not as an ace - more of a #2-3 inning eater, a young Milwood type. Call me nutz but i like Volquez and love him for a buck. Good things happen to pitchers after 2nd year off of TJ surgery (ex. Lirano). I HATE 2nd year unproven types but Latos REALLY looks like the goods. No way you can spin it back so it's a matter of preference as this looks pretty even to me. I would stay put but if you believe Latos is a total stud then go for it. BTW - thanks on my Holliday for Marmol/Phillips post.
baseballboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby BUCCOFAN » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:43 pm

Thing is, I kind of see allot of Josh Johnson in Latos, and I had JJ for 3 years @ $1, when I plucked him 3 years back before he became so dominate. (after his surgery(s))

Another angle here, is I don't have room for Drabek in my keeper list right now, especially if he begins the year in the Jays Rotation, which is looking more and more likely with Marcum gone, (cause I can't keep him as a minor leaguer) So I am entertaining offers for him......I was on the other hand keeping Volquez at that value. So You can think of it as a Volquez for Latos swap, both earning $1 this season.
BUCCOFAN
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe Ranker

Postby MaudDib » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:36 am

BUCCOFAN wrote:Thing is, I kind of see allot of Josh Johnson in Latos, and I had JJ for 3 years @ $1, when I plucked him 3 years back before he became so dominate. (after his surgery(s))

Another angle here, is I don't have room for Drabek in my keeper list right now, especially if he begins the year in the Jays Rotation, which is looking more and more likely with Marcum gone, (cause I can't keep him as a minor leaguer) So I am entertaining offers for him......I was on the other hand keeping Volquez at that value. So You can think of it as a Volquez for Latos swap, both earning $1 this season.

I still like you getting Latos. Only change would be what kind of prospect you might get in return for Drabek. But in this deal Latos is a steal at $1. He is usually ranked in the top 15 of SP which is just unthinkable at a $1 price tag.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 466)

Postby Prooks25 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:19 pm

I like Latos a lot! Go with him.
Prooks25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 39)

Postby Fixations » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:31 pm

Thanks for the reply on my post.

I would make the trade and acquire Latos. Pretty high on most rankings and hope that he can be a stud for you years down the road. I like the comparison to J. Johnson also.
Fixations
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions