An Idiot Abroad - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

An Idiot Abroad

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

An Idiot Abroad

Postby knapplc » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:39 pm

Anyone watch this? The concept is that Ricky Gervais and some other guy met this buffoon, and for a lark they send him around the world to experience other cultures and world wonders, and they record his misery.

I watched the intro/pilot and the first episode, where Karl goes to China to see the Great Wall. It had a few laugh-out-loud moments, which is more than I can say for most TV shows. If Karl is being Karl, he's a very sheltered, shallow person. His take on China and the Chinese is xenophobic, but not intentionally insultingly so. Just watch some clips:

http://science.discovery.com/tv/an-idiot-abroad/
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: An Idiot Abroad

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:34 pm

Karl happens to be a Man United fan, BTW. Some of what he says seems legit, seeing how this was his comedy bit on the radio for some time now.

My English cousin raves about An Idiot Abroad and I didn't know it was on American TV so soon. I'll check this out now.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:52 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:Karl happens to be a Man United fan, BTW. Some of what he says seems legit, seeing how this was his comedy bit on the radio for some time now.

My English cousin raves about An Idiot Abroad and I didn't know it was on American TV so soon. I'll check this out now.

Uh-oh. I was afraid of this. Is Karl a comedian? Is this all a put-on?
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:05 pm

knapplc wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:Karl happens to be a Man United fan, BTW. Some of what he says seems legit, seeing how this was his comedy bit on the radio for some time now.

Uh-oh. I was afraid of this. Is Karl a comedian? Is this all a put-on?

Karl is a comedian but he's genuinely dimwitted. There was a stunt in which he did an IQ test and scored very low, but it was likely a deliberate stunt to enhance that persona of being an idiot. He's definitely aware of what will make his audience laugh, but that doesn't mean he's not a true-to-life innocently shallow numpty.

Just been talking with my cousin now and she said the one on Jordan is the best episode.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby teddy ballgame » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:27 pm

I was introduced to the world of Karl Pilkington last year through The Ricky Gervais show, an animated podcast that HBO aired. After I found that I went back and listened to all of their old radio shows and podcasts. They're amazing, and I highly recommend them if you liked An Idiot Abroad. I followed the show as it aired in the UK last fall, but I'm glad they're airing it over here now

As for whether its real, you can tell from listening to the earliest radio shows that he really is that stupid. Over time he has kind of figured out what will get a reaction, but most of what he says is genuine.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thedude » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:56 pm

Karl was the producer of the Ricky Gervais Show on London radio some years ago. The podcasts of that show are (or were) on HBO. I caught one episode a while back: basically most of the show is Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant (the co-creator of the Office) making fun of Karl, the producer of the show, for being stupid.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Return to General Talk