The TV thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

The TV thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The TV thread

Postby jfg » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:34 pm

urbanbreez wrote:as i understand it, there isn't a whole lot of diff between 1080i and 1080p when you are talking about a set under 50".

can someone confirm or deny that?

Almost. You probably aren't going to be able to tell the difference btw. 720p and 1080p unless you're sitting 5 feet in front of your tv.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby woodson_28 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:09 pm

urbanbreez wrote:as i understand it, there isn't a whole lot of diff between 1080i and 1080p when you are talking about a set under 50".

can someone confirm or deny that?

While both sets will have the same number of pixels (in the area of 2 million), 1080i will only use half. For instance, if the TV is a 60Hz HDTV (meaning 60 refreshes a second), w/ the 1080p, you're getting all 2 million pixels refreshing 60 times a second. With 1080i, it utilizes a technology in which a full screen refresh rate is cut to only 30 times a second. The TV will still refresh 60 times a second, but only half of the pixels refresh each time, and the other half of the pixels the next time. Sort of an A, B, A, B refresh pattern. A is pixel line 1, 3, 5, etc..., B is line 2, 4, 6, etc...

1080p would refresh like this: C, C, C, C (in which C = A+B).

But it's also true that with a 50" TV at 5"feet away, you probably wouldn't notice.
woodson_28
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jfg » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:07 pm

You might notice interlacing at a close distance. Especially with sports and action movies. The only time I choose 1080i over 720p is when a tv station natively broadcasts in that format. Most sports stations choose to broadcast in 720p. For bluray, video games I always go 720p over 1080i. What I was saying is that on a 50" or smaller tv you will not notice the difference btw. 720p and 1080p unless you are literally right next to the tv. Plasma+720p= great tv for a low cost.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Previous

Return to General Talk