ESPN and/or Yahoo to Allow Dynasty Leagues? Any Chance? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

ESPN and/or Yahoo to Allow Dynasty Leagues? Any Chance?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

ESPN and/or Yahoo to Allow Dynasty Leagues? Any Chance?

Postby vanlinglemungo » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:34 pm

I'm always holding out hope that either one of these two free services will upgrade to allow dynasty/keeper leagues with in-season caps and minor league rosters.

Have you ever heard any whisperings of that being considered? Could you imagine seeing those upgrades in the near future?

We're tired of CBS, and we're considering Fantrax (but ideally, we'd love to move to something that felt a little more reliable than Fantrax like ESPN or Yahoo).
vanlinglemungo
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: ESPN and/or Yahoo to Allow Dynasty Leagues? Any Chance?

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:12 pm

vanlinglemungo wrote:I'm always holding out hope that either one of these two free services will upgrade to allow dynasty/keeper leagues with in-season caps and minor league rosters.

Have you ever heard any whisperings of that being considered? Could you imagine seeing those upgrades in the near future?

We're tired of CBS, and we're considering Fantrax (but ideally, we'd love to move to something that felt a little more reliable than Fantrax like ESPN or Yahoo).

My league is in the exact same boat. We use salary, contracts, minor leaguers, and more...and I keep hoping another provider will offer something to compete with CBS.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby Merlin401 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:40 pm

With a little creativeness I don't think its too hard to do a dynasty league in Yahoo. The keepers are all taken care of. The auction/FAAB works fine for that format. You can keep track of you minor league at a league message board without too much trouble.

In season cap is a little annoying... our league doesn't have one so its not an issue. I can see it being hard to keep track of manually.
Merlin401
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:49 am

If you are in a league consisting of anything much more complex than regular 5x5 or 6x6 (contracts, keepers, salaries, dynasty, minors, etc.), I don't see why you'd switch from CBS. I find it hard to believe that $10 per person is a big deal in one of those more advanced leagues. My main league DID switch from CBS to ESPN to Yahoo, but that was exactly because it was a pretty low entry ($50), simple keeper league with standard 5x5 cats.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby vanlinglemungo » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:00 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:If you are in a league consisting of anything much more complex than regular 5x5 or 6x6 (contracts, keepers, salaries, dynasty, minors, etc.), I don't see why you'd switch from CBS. I find it hard to believe that $10 per person is a big deal in one of those more advanced leagues. My main league DID switch from CBS to ESPN to Yahoo, but that was exactly because it was a pretty low entry ($50), simple keeper league with standard 5x5 cats.

It's not the money. I filled out a survey at the end of last season. A couple of months later, I received a phone call from CBS. The rep was looking for feedback and suggestions for improvement. For some time now, the guys in my very deep AL-only league have been complaining about the freezing of rosters on the start of the first game of each day. They want to exploit platoons (especially at the catcher position), but unless the platoon is a straight lefty/righty one (making it predictable when a particular player is going to start), they can't. Because the free services have the option of freezing rosters in a variety of ways (weekly, daily at the start of the first game, daily at the start of each individual player's game), it seems like a fairly simple thing for CBS to implement. I told this to the rep on the phone.

He said that this was the most common complaint that they had been receiving, and that they were going to fix this.

Fast forward to last week when they unveiled their changes. I didn't see this addition, but figured that they may not add it until later. But because this is a big enough deal to the guys in the league, and I didn't want to wait until it was too late and we'd already paid for this season, I called CBS to verify that this feature would be implemented. The answer: Nope.

Considering what I was told on the phone several months ago by the rep who called me, and considering the assurance that was made that this would be fixed, we've simply tired of CBS. As it stands, we're moving to Fantrax (which has numerous features that we've been wanting over at CBS, including the locking of rosters based on individual game start times). If Yahoo or ESPN make the upgrades necessary to host the kind of league we have, we'll go there. Otherwise, it's Fantrax for 2011. And it's free!
vanlinglemungo
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:30 pm

Ah... gotcha. Yeah, CBS has a few "features" (or lack thereof) that always bugged me, and I always complained about them, and they always said they'd take a look, but nothing was ever done about them. So I can understand where you are coming from. Yahoo has improved by leaps and bounds over the last few years (thanks in huge part to Genie here at the Cafe), but asking for dynasty league support might be tough.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby vanlinglemungo » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:54 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:Ah... gotcha. Yeah, CBS has a few "features" (or lack thereof) that always bugged me, and I always complained about them, and they always said they'd take a look, but nothing was ever done about them. So I can understand where you are coming from. Yahoo has improved by leaps and bounds over the last few years (thanks in huge part to Genie here at the Cafe), but asking for dynasty league support might be tough.

I have a feeling you're right. However, every year they're adding new features, and I do agree that Yahoo really seems to have stepped up their game over the last few seasons. Surely they stand to benefit greatly by capturing some of the CBS crowd by matching their service for free.

Probably dreaming, though.

But Fantrax seems to be pretty legit, so I guess we'll see.
vanlinglemungo
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Curtis Pride » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:18 pm

I don't understand what is so tough about expanding the pool of available players.

That's the biggest hurdle for them to be a viable dynasty option. When your player database doesn't include players like Bryce Harper and Mike Trout, it's impossible to get anyone to have a dynasty league that that includes a minor league component.

If they just did that, most of the rest of the issues would be small potatoes.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Montana168 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:53 pm

Curtis Pride wrote:I don't understand what is so tough about expanding the pool of available players.

That's the biggest hurdle for them to be a viable dynasty option. When your player database doesn't include players like Bryce Harper and Mike Trout, it's impossible to get anyone to have a dynasty league that that includes a minor league component.

If they just did that, most of the rest of the issues would be small potatoes.

I agree with this 100%. I do not understand why yahoo doesn't expand their player pool as big as ESPN does by adding almost every minor league hitter. It makes dynasty leagues a lot easier to run, and also allows for those of us that are in serious dynasty leagues but most of the managers/commish don't have the time to create minor league roster/rules outside of the league. I don't know if yahoo is too lazy, or they don't have the capability to do it regarding business contracts, or the writers love to hype up a rookie before his callup to boost those waiver adds, or what but it really is baffling IMO.

I know most will respond to this, "if you don't like it, then go play on ESPN" but I am just expressing my opinion on the matter because I am not going to take the time to convince 9 other teams in my dynasty to go through the trouble of switching everything to a different provider.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby vanlinglemungo » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:42 pm

I have never played over at ESPN, but I have played with Yahoo and know about their player pool problem (though I'd forgotten about it until the two of you mentioned it here).

Would you say that ESPN is closer to providing the tools that would allow a dynasty league? Are they just a few tweaks away? Or is Yahoo closest? I've been using CBS for so long that I don't know the changes these two providers have made over the last handful of years.
vanlinglemungo
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers