2011 Position Battles. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2011 Position Battles.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2011 Position Battles.

Postby wrveres » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:56 am

Barring injuries or an unexpected trade, Mat Latos, Clayton Richard and Harang will form the front end of the rotation and Tim Stauffer is the odds-on favorite to fill the No. 4 spot, although the Padres still speak glowingly of the work he did in the bullpen last season. But the fifth spot is wide open and could fall to a caretaker on Opening Day with top prospects Simon Castro and Casey Kelly potential midseason call-ups. There are ample candidates in left-handers Wade LeBlanc and Cory Luebke and free agent addition Dustin Moseley.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011 ... -facing-p/
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 758)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:07 am

We should sticky this thread.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby wrveres » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:23 am

New York Yankees manager Joe Girardi said there will be open competition for the final two rotation spots that could last deep into spring training, according to The Associated Press. SPs Ivan Nova, Freddy Garcia, Sergio Mitre and Bartolo Colon are candidates for the two spots
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RAmst23 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:31 am

Diamondbacks sign Russell Branyan to a minor league contract today. I guess their goal is to limit the amount of ABs Brandon Allen could possibly see.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby wrveres » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:42 pm

rotoauthority on the rockies 2B

Lopez is capable of playing 1B, 2B, and 3B, but he wasn't acquired with that role in mind for him. That's the role Wigginton is likely to fill. The Rockies are counting on Lopez bouncing back and solidifying the position while the others (Young, Nelson, Herrera) battle for the last spot on the bench. But Lopez rebounding is no sure thing, especially considering how bad he was last season. They wouldn't be interested in Michael Young if that was the case. Still, I expect Lopez to do enough to win the job although Nelson and Young are talented prospects that are capable of making some noise in Spring Training. Don't count either one of them out.

http://www.rotoauthority.com/2011/02/po ... y+Baseball)
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:17 am

Philadelphia Phillies manager Charlie Manuel said Friday, Feb. 18, that OF Domonic Brown "is kind of the first choice there" when asked about the right field position, but OFs Ben Francisco, Ross Gload and John Mayberry Jr. are also in the mix, reports Jim Salisbury, of CSNPhilly.com
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:24 am

Tony La Russa said the priorities at third base for playing time are: 3B David Freese, 3B/OF Allen Craig and 3B Nick Punto, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch's Derrick Goold reports. That pushes SS Tyler Greene to center field for playing time
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:55 am

Detroit Tigers manager Jim Leyland said there is no leader in the competition at second base between IFs Scott Sizemore, Carlos Guillen and Will Rhymes, according to The Associated Press
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby MTUCache » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:37 am

wrveres wrote:Detroit Tigers manager Jim Leyland said there is no leader in the competition at second base between IFs Scott Sizemore, Carlos Guillen and Will Rhymes, according to The Associated Press

With DH being filled 4-5 days per week by VMart and Magglio, I think this is pretty disingenuous by Leyland. I'm confident that there's been some sort of verbal communication with Guillen regarding what his role on the team is going to be. The Tigers owe him $13mil for this season, after which he'll be a free agent. It's in both their best interests that he's out on the field playing everyday, not only from a cost-effectiveness standpoint but so that he can generate interest from other teams with his performance.

Guillen will be named the starter at 2B. If they weren't already committed to that, I think they would have at least been involved in the Michael Young talks. Afterall, Dombroski did say that they were "set" at 2B.

In the end this will be moot though. Guillen is an extended DL-trip waiting to happen, and Rhymes/Sizemore will duke it out for the 100+ games they'll need a 2B after that.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kab21 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:46 pm

MTUCache wrote:
wrveres wrote:Detroit Tigers manager Jim Leyland said there is no leader in the competition at second base between IFs Scott Sizemore, Carlos Guillen and Will Rhymes, according to The Associated Press

With DH being filled 4-5 days per week by VMart and Magglio, I think this is pretty disingenuous by Leyland. I'm confident that there's been some sort of verbal communication with Guillen regarding what his role on the team is going to be. The Tigers owe him $13mil for this season, after which he'll be a free agent. It's in both their best interests that he's out on the field playing everyday, not only from a cost-effectiveness standpoint but so that he can generate interest from other teams with his performance.

Guillen will be named the starter at 2B. If they weren't already committed to that, I think they would have at least been involved in the Michael Young talks. Afterall, Dombroski did say that they were "set" at 2B.

In the end this will be moot though. Guillen is an extended DL-trip waiting to happen, and Rhymes/Sizemore will duke it out for the 100+ games they'll need a 2B after that.

Unfortunately I'm not sure that MLB teams understand the concept of sunk cost either. So you're not alone there.

I would not make any conclusions based on what "set" means when a GM is asked about trading for Michael Young. A GM isn't going to say that MYoung is way overpaid, has horrible home/away splits, on the decline offensively and below avg on defense. "Set" is nothing more than dodging the question.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers